shape
carat
color
clarity

Stud earring - Ideal cut?

Bav3

Rough_Rock
My wife's 60th birthday is coming up. I want to buy her a pair of diamond stud earrings around 3 cw total weight. Since she has been my first (and probably last) wife, I want to buy her a pair that she'll be proud of.

I was thinking about an E or F color set but the question is cut. Is buying an ideal cut for earrings a waste of money? Will anyone notice the difference between an ideal and excellent cut on a pair of earrings?

Regarding online diamond websites, are they a good source for these diamonds? Wouldn't it better if I saw them in person before buying them?

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Many online vendors have pictures and videos of the diamonds, along with a 30 day return period if the diamonds are not what you expect. It's a personal decision/preference to buy in-store vs. online, however many of us buy online and you can save money by buying online. I would make sure that the online vendor is a reputable one!

Given the size and colors you outlined, I would recommend going with an Ideal cut if it fits within your budget, and a minimum of Excellent cut with Excellent polish and symmetry. It probably won't be a huge difference in sparkle as earrings are not as visible as rings, but when you're spending around $25-30k, in my humble opinion, a few thousand more to get an Ideal cut may be worth it. You could save by going with F instead of E, and getting a lower clarity that is still eye clean.

I think it's important to find 2 diamonds of the same cut quality, size, and color, which can make it a bit more challenging. Be sure to get a secure back and insure the earrings, as earrings tend to get lost more frequently than rings.

Your wife is a lucky woman and I'm confident whatever you pick for her will be gorgeous!

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
And relay take a look if you and your wife need E or F or if G/ H maybe is a sweet spot for you on the ears.if you are set on colorless then please disregard my comment.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ideal cuts look sparkly longer between cleanings..a nice perk as diamonds pick up oils from hair and hair products.
You can have confidence buying online from trusted vendors, so it’s a great option.
Everything I’ve bought since joining Pricescope has been from an online source recommended here and I have been very pleased.

AV_

Ideal_Rock

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some of the online vendors have matched pairs which makes the choice a bit easier, eg Blue Nile, Whiteflash, Brain Gavin. They all have good return policies too.

chele162

Rough_Rock
Ideal cut is definitely not a waste of money! I bought some studs a few years ago from Blue Nile and they are rated Excellent cut. Just recently, I upgraded to some Ideal cut studs from Brian Gavin and the difference is stunning. I really liked my older studs but cut is so important. My studs are not near as big as the ones you're thinking of getting and the cut makes a huge difference, even in the smaller sizes. I would highly recommend Brian Gavin Diamonds. They have a nice return policy, as well. They have lots of pictures online so that you can be sure what you're getting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results