shape
carat
color
clarity

Stuck between 2 diamonds, but can only afford 1 :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sqyong

Rough_Rock
Hello, I've narrowed down to 2 diamonds for the proposal ring.

I've calculated the HCA too.

Can someone help me run a diamcalc/gemadviser to help me "shed some light" into my final decision?

Thanks so much!

Alex.

======================
ROUND BRILLIANT
Measurements: 6.54 - 6.56 x 3.99 mm
Carat Weight: 1.04 carat
Color Grade: E
Clarity Grade: VS2
Cut Grade: Excellent

PROPORTIONS:
Depth: 60.9%
Table: 56%
Crown Angle: 34.0°
Crown Height: 14.5%
Pavilion Angle: 40.8°
Pavilion Depth: 43.0%
Star length: 55%
Lower Half: 80%
Girdle: Thin to Medium, Faceted (3.5%)
Culet: None

FINISH:
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None

HCA = 0.9
Could see hearts and arrows.
======================
ROUND BRILLIANT
Measurements: 6.46 - 6.48 x 3.89 mm
Carat Weight: 1.01 carat
Color Grade: F

PROPORTIONS:
Depth: 60.1%
Table: 61%
Crown Angle: 33.5°
Crown Height: 13.0%
Pavilion Angle: 40.8°
Star length: 50%
Lower Half: 75%
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted (4.0%)

FINISH:

HCA = 1.9
Could not see hearts and arrows.

======================
Alex.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
The first one is perfect!
2.gif
Second one is a no.

sqyong

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/19/2009 11:46:29 AM
Author: Ellen
2.gif
Second one is a no.

Wow... Serious? Why is it so?
========
Alex.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Agreed, #1 would be a better bet.

Also, the numbers you gave is too rough, rounded to be of any use to run a Diamcalc on.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Too big a table to show much fire, probably. Generally prefer a table below 58%.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Alex,

The first is the best choice. The second could be a contender if you like the 60 60 type diamond ( 60% depth, 60% table) - however ASET or Idealscope would be more useful than DiamCalc simulations. So it would be best to ask the vendor if they can supply these images.

This tutorial explains the usage and benefits of ASET and Idealscope.

http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=education-performance

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Want us to help you look for something in your budget?
1.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2009 11:53:30 AM
Author: sqyong

2.gif
Second one is a no.

========
Alex.
Because the first has great numbers all around for a nice mix of fire/brilliance/scintillation. It just falls in a sweet spot.

As Lorelei pointed out, the other is cut towards brilliance, less on fire, and possibly some scintillation. Some people like those, there''s nothing "wrong" with them per se, but usually those people prefer them for the brilliance, they are not for a lot of people. I would not suggest them for a "first" diamond.
1.gif

sqyong

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/19/2009 4:35:14 PM
Date: 4/19/2009 11:53:30 AM

2.gif
Second one is a no.

========

Alex.
Because the first has great numbers all around for a nice mix of fire/brilliance/scintillation. It just falls in a sweet spot.

As Lorelei pointed out, the other is cut towards brilliance, less on fire, and possibly some scintillation. Some people like those, there's nothing 'wrong' with them per se, but usually those people prefer them for the brilliance, they are not for a lot of people. I would not suggest them for a 'first' diamond.
1.gif

True.. it's my first diamond and most importantly it's for proposal.. guess it safer to get a well-balanced diamond although it's more expensive.
==========
Alex.

sqyong

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/19/2009 1:42:33 PM
Author: Skippy123
1.gif

The 1st diamond cost USD7947.
The 2nd diamond cost USD6423.

Difference of USD1524.

Difference of 0.3carat and a level higher for color, and of course seems to be 1st choice for everyone here.

Worth the $1524?

Arghh...

========
Alex.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/20/2009 4:52:11 AM

1.gif

Difference of USD1524.

Difference of 0.3carat and a level higher for color, and of course seems to be 1st choice for everyone here.

Worth the $1524?

Arghh...

========
Alex.
It depends on your budget and preference, it is possible there are well cut diamonds of similar proportions and F colour out there which might lower the price.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 4:47:36 AM

True.. it''s my first diamond and most importantly it''s for proposal.. guess it safer to get a well-balanced diamond although it''s more expensive.
==========
Alex.
That''s where we get that old saying: You get what you pay for.
2.gif

Go with the better cut if you can, it''s a once in a lifetiime purchase that will pay off in spades.
5.gif

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 4:52:11 AM

1.gif

Difference of USD1524.

Worth the $1524?

Arghh...

========

Alex.

Have you considered going lower in the color? You could easily do that IMHO and have a gorgeous, well cut stone. If I were you, I might take Skippy up on her offer! Unless it absolutely has to be E or F, you have many other choices.
1.gif

sqyong

Rough_Rock
Hello, I''ve since gave up on the previous 2 and left with this:

ROUND BRILLIANT

Measurements: 6.49 - 6.50 x 3.92 mm
Carat Weight: 1.01 carat
Color Grade: F
PROPORTIONS:

Depth: 60.4%
Table: 59%
Crown Angle: 34.5°
Crown Height: 14.0%
Pavilion Angle: 41.0°
Star length: 55%
Lower Half: 75%
Girdle: Medium, Faceted (3.5%)
FINISH:

HCA = 2.2

However, the guy told me their machine measured pavilion angle as 40.8degrees but GIA gave it 41 instead.
If It''s really 40.8degrees, HCA will be 1.7.

And if I use pavilion and crown %, it''s HCA = 1.3.

What''s your view on the GIA grading and what the seller said?

==========
Alex.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamond has potential, GIA do round the numbers so I assume the seller ran a Sarin on this diamond? Sarin accuracy can also vary due to many reasons if so. Have you bought it or have just shortlisted it? Does the seller have access to an Idealscope or ASET scope you can use to check out the diamond? This is how I would approach it with this diamond if such tools are available. Also check it out away from the store lights if possible, see if there are any dark areas on the top of the diamond, or a dark ring around the table. If it looks good in all lightings then it could be fine.

This thread explains further about GIA rounding

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/consumer-advisory-gia-cut-grade-rounding-problems.39401/

sqyong

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/27/2009 8:30:49 AM
Author: Lorelei
The diamond has potential, GIA do round the numbers so I assume the seller ran a Sarin on this diamond? Sarin accuracy can also vary due to many reasons if so. Have you bought it or have just shortlisted it? Does the seller have access to an Idealscope or ASET scope you can use to check out the diamond? This is how I would approach it with this diamond if such tools are available. Also check it out away from the store lights if possible, see if there are any dark areas on the top of the diamond, or a dark ring around the table. If it looks good in all lightings then it could be fine.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/consumer-advisory-gia-cut-grade-rounding-problems.39401/

Wow, some much inconsistency due to different types of measurements. No wonder sometimes it's better to know less ;-) But on the other hand, this means there is always room for dispute, making our eyes the best tool to make the final decision :) I have actually put down a deposit for it. Wish me luck.

I was in a cafe, so no store lights to mislead me. I did use a white LED light to shine on it. Looks good to me. And there was also no dark ring, or visible black dots when viewed from the top. I viewed it against the cafe's window with a 10X loupe, idealscope on an ideal light (quite pink i think), ASET scope (i didn't know how to use this though), and lastly the layman's H&A scope (looks pretty quite).

Alex.
===========

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/27/2009 11:23:55 AM

Wow, some much inconsistency due to different types of measurements. No wonder sometimes it's better to know less ;-) But on the other hand, this means there is always room for dispute, making our eyes the best tool to make the final decision :) I have actually put down a deposit for it. Wish me luck.

I was in a cafe, so no store lights to mislead me. I did use a white LED light to shine on it. Looks good to me. And there was also no dark ring, or visible black dots when viewed from the top. I viewed it against the cafe's window with a 10X loupe, idealscope on an ideal light (quite pink i think), ASET scope (i didn't know how to use this though), and lastly the layman's H&A scope (looks pretty quite).

Alex.
===========
Wow Alex, sounds like you are well and truly on top of this! Your own eyes are always the ultimate test, maybe if you aren't quite sure compare it against some AGS0 from Jareds if there is one in your area, or Hearts on Fire if there is a dealer near you, then that would also give you a good idea of how top cut stones behave.

This explains how to use ASET - http://www.ideal-scope.com/using_howto.asp

More info - http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=education-performance

sqyong

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/27/2009 11:36:23 AM
Date: 4/27/2009 11:23:55 AM

Wow, some much inconsistency due to different types of measurements. No wonder sometimes it''s better to know less ;-) But on the other hand, this means there is always room for dispute, making our eyes the best tool to make the final decision :) I have actually put down a deposit for it. Wish me luck.

I was in a cafe, so no store lights to mislead me. I did use a white LED light to shine on it. Looks good to me. And there was also no dark ring, or visible black dots when viewed from the top. I viewed it against the cafe''s window with a 10X loupe, idealscope on an ideal light (quite pink i think), ASET scope (i didn''t know how to use this though), and lastly the layman''s H&A scope (looks pretty quite).

Alex.

===========

Wow Alex, sounds like you are well and truly on top of this! Your own eyes are always the ultimate test, maybe if you aren''t quite sure compare it against some AGS0 from Jareds if there is one in your area, or Hearts on Fire if there is a dealer near you, then that would also give you a good idea of how top cut stones behave.

This explains how to use ASET - http://www.ideal-scope.com/using_howto.asp

More info - http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=education-performance

Hey, I''ve never came across the 2nd website before. It''s really good. Wished I knew it earlier :) Ok, i think based on my memory, it didn''t fall into any category of bad, and looks good "naked".... alright.. thanks Lorelei.. I''ll get them to set it in a 6 prong ring like this and prepare for the Pop-the-Q day.. wish me luck ;-)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The setting looks great Alex, best of luck!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results