shape
carat
color
clarity

struggling economy and jewelry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AceP

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone -

I''ve been thinking about the difficult economy and all of the jewelry designers/small jewelry companies out there... Has anyone noticed these companies coming out with newer, lower-priced lines to attract customers? It must be difficult with metal prices so high.

vslover

Shiny_Rock
I''m actually guessing that the jewelry trade isn''t doing too badly. People continue to buy luxury items IMO...it''s the people who *can''t* afford luxury items that are struggling even with necessities. Sad.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Blue Nile stock has gone down substantially. It was at $106 a share last year and now is down to around $40.

I've read that even the affluent are taming their luxury purchasing habits and that with Blue Nile, the highest percentage of diamonds selling are those under $5,000 and over $50,000. That was printed a few days ago in the Seattle Times.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
The jewelry trade as a whole has been suffering since 2001...ive worked for more then a few(7) jewelers over the last two decades and several(5) of those jewelers have closed their doors since 2001...the whole mall of 2 of those stores have been leveled in the last two years(really).The events of 9-11,the stock market,the cost of materials, rent and insurance, and finally the economy have hurt the trade.The quailty of jewelry has to go down to be more available to the general public at prices that are affordable.I went back to college in 2003 because of the struggle to keep a clietele that had continued disposable income.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Do we think jewelry prices will come down at some point? If people cannot afford to buy at the existing "usual" prices. Or will the cost of precious metal and stones stay too high and prevent that?

I am secretly hoping prices drop, so I can buy more of what I love.

I am Canadian, and when the CAN dollar rose last year, I bought! (US goods)

A.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results