shape
carat
color
clarity

Strongest metal to use in setting

Razz

Rough_Rock
If someone works with their hands a lot, and they need something that is strong and will stand the test of time, which would be the best metal to go with for the setting?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
tungsten
titanium
stainless steel
In more traditional metals there are differences but other than some specialty alloys they are all pretty close in real world strength.
Cobalt platinum and 20k or above gold are real soft and best avoided for long term wear.

Razz

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the answer Karl. I don't know why but in my mind I had Platinum as the strongest material when it came to jewelry. Guess I was wrong.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Razz- when we are considering strength of a metal to be used in a ring – you must consider things like harder metal is more brittle, softer metal less likely to break.
For my money platinum is the best choice for long term durability. This can be borne out by looking at old jewelry. If it was made from gold, there's likely tremendous wear if it was worn a lot – while platinum can stand the test of time better.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fine jewelry really shouldn't be worn while doing a lot of work with the hands unless you want it all scratched up and risk damage to setting or stones.

I'd have a tungsten wedding band to wear at times I would not want my platinum set to be damaged. I take my rings off before cooking or loading/unloading dishwasher, etc.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Razz,

Are you asking for an engagement ring or wedding band? Other than the metal, the setting style also matters when it comes to durability. A pave setting, for example, may not be the best choice for some one working with their hands, no matter what metal you use for the setting.

In any case if the person is working with their hands around large, high powered or dangerous equipment it is always recommended to not leave the metal rings on the hands - if they get caught in a piece of machinery the hand can take a significant amount of the damage which is never a good day.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rockdiamond|1480090914|4102520 said:
Razz- when we are considering strength of a metal to be used in a ring – you must consider things like harder metal is more brittle, softer metal less likely to break.
For my money platinum is the best choice for long term durability. This can be borne out by looking at old jewelry. If it was made from gold, there's likely tremendous wear if it was worn a lot – while platinum can stand the test of time better.
A lot of the old plat. settings survived because they were not worn every day.

The way I look at it is will X thing damage one material and not another and the answer is almost always it will damage both.
That is what I meant by real world.
Some exceptions are plat is less likely to be damaged if you spend a lot of time wearing them in a swimming pool than many gold alloys.
Most people I know take them off to go swimming so its not a huge issue.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Diamond_Hawk|1480096768|4102559 said:
Hi Razz,

Are you asking for an engagement ring or wedding band? Other than the metal, the setting style also matters when it comes to durability. A pave setting, for example, may not be the best choice for some one working with their hands, no matter what metal you use for the setting.

In any case if the person is working with their hands around large, high powered or dangerous equipment it is always recommended to not leave the metal rings on the hands - if they get caught in a piece of machinery the hand can take a significant amount of the damage which is never a good day.
Very true a friend of mine lost his finger because his wedding band got caught in a machine.

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
If you are looking for a traditional metal, I'd go with platinum.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results