shape
carat
color
clarity

Strong fluorescence weaker than faint?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I just bought a .84 carat E I1 ideal cut RB. (You can read about it here.)

I wanted a diamond with as much fluorescence as possible. I have two other I1''s, both .29 cts: an F with strong blue fluorescence and a J with faint fluorescence.

I just compared the new stone to them under a black light. The .29 F glows much, much more. I figured, well, maybe there''s a range of "strong" fluor, and the F is at the top of the range.

But the .29 J, with FAINT fluor, also glows much more than the new E with strong fluor. The J doesn''t glow as much as the F, but they both make the E look dim and puny under the black light.

How can a stone with faint fluorescence glow MORE than one with strong fluorescence?

The E is graded by GIA, the F is graded by AGS, and the J is ungraded; I guess the "faint" was the opinion of Dirt Cheap Diamonds (a.k.a. James Allen), who sold it to me, or maybe of the cutter. It cost me in the $175 range, so I didn''t bother getting it appraised or graded.

Are the standards for fluorescence just very indefinite?

Given that I don''t like the inclusions in the new I1 under the loupe, and given the disappointingly weak fluorescence, I''m probably going to send it back. However, it''s a gorgeous cut, very sparkly, and the inclusions aren''t particularly easy to see with the naked eye. So if of you happen to be looking for a lovely .8ish ct, very white, very well cut diamond and you don''t intend to stare at it all day with a loupe, you should definitely consider it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results