shape
carat
color
clarity

Strong Chain for a pendant??

jeguzik

Rough_Rock
What is a good and strong chain for a pendant?? I am having BGD put together a 3 stone pendant for me and I want to know everyone''s thoughts on the strongest type of chain for a pendant. My wife lost her last one b/c the necklace broke.

Thanks,
J

Magic_Stick

Rough_Rock
Box link chain. It''s a very strong chain.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
bigger link/heavier links also work. i''ve been wearing an 18k italian gold chain for years now with a heavy and rather large solid silver sanddollar pendant. no problems.

mz

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/10/2010 10:04:29 AM
Author: Magic_Stick
Box link chain. It''s a very strong chain.
Me too. Pretty much every chain I have is a box chain.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
handmade cable chain thats a larger mm size is best,rope style is next,wheat chain(but may bend when pressure is applied to it)and box(also will bend if pressure is applied) all are the better for strength.

Magic_Stick

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/12/2010 2:47:34 PM
Author: jewelerman
handmade cable chain thats a larger mm size is best,rope style is next,wheat chain(but may bend when pressure is applied to it)and box(also will bend if pressure is applied) all are the better for strength.
Doesn't it depend on how thin the chain is? Regarding the bending with pressure? Maybe super thin ones bend but that would apply to any style chain. I have a box chain that I treated like crap. I would wrap the chain around my finger really tight and it never bent. I would read a book while I did tourcherous things to that chain and it's as good as new.

I had a rope that broke, so I guess it can go either way. But I think the rope was hollow..

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Curb chains with solid links are great, I wear a 1.5mm thick one every day with my halo diamond pendant, and one on my 'circle of diamonds' pendant that is about 1.2mm. They are easy to store too, all the links are individual so they can crumple up and be knocked around, no worries!The 3 round pendants in this picture are on solid curb chains, it's my favourite style for looks and durability.

AndiPendantsBracelets.JPG

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wheat chains are pretty good. Depends also on the look you''re hoping to achieve.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve heard that box link is the strongest, but don''t care for that look so I''ve gone with oval link and curb link in a heavy (solid) gauge) for some pieces. Will have to pay some cost in the higher gram weight though.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m with MC, it really depends on the look you''re trying to achieve. If your piece is more contemporary, I''d stay with a solid curb or box. Having said that, my favorite is a wheat chain hands down. You can ask Lesley to have your piece photographed with both curb and wheat chains. They have both in house. Then you can really decide without having to imagine what they''d look like.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results