shape
carat
color
clarity

Strong Blue Fluorescence

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

crash1977

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and I have a question. I am looking at a diamond engagement ring and I found a GIA certified diamond with the following characteristics:

Weight: 1.02 carats
Measurements 6.42 - 6.48 - 4.00 MM
Depth - 62%
Table - 56%
Girdle - Medium to slightly thick, facted
Cutlet- None
Polish - Very good
Symmetry - Very Good
Color - H
Clairty - VS2
Fluor. - Strong Blue

I can get this diamond for 6000$ CND (Aprox 4,549 USD).

My question is about the strong blue fluroescence. I am concered I am not educated enough to tell is this diamond exhibits the oily or cloudy appearence that is often talked about.

I have read conflicting articles that say oily or cloudy appearence only happens in extreme blue diamonds and a strong blue absolutely cannot appear cloudy, while others say to avoid anything over medium.

Can anyone help? Should strong blue diamonds be avoided? Can someone with an untrained eye "see" the effect if this diamond were to be oily or cloudy?

Thanks!

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Strong blue fluorescence is likely not a concern in an H color diamond becaues it is likely to help the stone face up on the high side of the H color range, but evaluate the diamond in a variety of lighting conditions to ensure that the fluorescence is not giving the diamond a cloudy or milky appearance - fluorescence has a negative impact on less than 2% of gem quality diamonds according to the GIA.

Note that you must be comfortable with the fact that a medium / strong blue / distinct blue diamond will glow bright neon blue when exposed to black light such as found in many restaurants, night clubs, aquariums, etc. Personally we think the effect is kind of cool and practically all of our personal diamonds exhibit medium to strong blue fluorescence, one of our D color stones even exhibits Distinct Blue and does appear slightly cloudy at times but it makes a great teaching stone...

Just as important are the proportions of the stone... What are the crown and pavilion angle measurements?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Sage advice, Niceice.

I'm a Bl. Fluor lover as well. In fact, wouldn't buy a stone w/o it.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I also agree. My diamond has medium blue fluorescence (E color stone), and I like that "plugged-in" appearance I get under certain lights.

Diamondlil

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Blue Fluor is kind of like the extra perk...not everyone has it and if you do...kind of like being part of a cool club which is only visible under certain lighting.
1.gif
My stone only has faint, so nothing fun there....but I wouldn't mind a stone with med or similar..esp since that wouldn't affect the look. I also second what NiceIce said from what I have read...strong blue with H color will make the diamond look whiter but doubt you'd have a problem with milky appearance.

2.gif

crash1977

Rough_Rock
I understand <2% of Diamonds exhibit the "milky" effect when it comes to Fluorescence. My question is, does that 2% include all stones with Fluorescence or just stones with an extreme blue?

Should I have any concerns at all with a strong blue?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 11/7/2003 3:02:21 PM crash1977 wrote:

I understand <2% of Diamonds exhibit the 'milky' effect when it comes to Fluorescence. My question is, does that 2% include all stones with Fluorescence ? ----------------

No, only strong (or very strong) fluorescence will show like this. If at all, I think you have a good chance to some clouds around your stone in many circumstances, since a lot of types of regular indoor lighting (plus the sun out there) have strong fluorescent emmisiion. Of course, the object will look darn cool in a club. There was a picture on a previous thread of a dimond with medium (?) fluo under UW lighting... just for fun. As far as I remember, the post was by Diamondsbylauren. The same word is a website where, at present, resides a light yellow diamond (1.8 radiant, for ref) with a strykingly strong fluorescence (again, for ref). I bet that last stone is way beyond 'strong blue' but it may give an idea about what fluo can do to a stone for better or for worse. Chances are that your stone will look very normal and crystal clear in daylight. At worst (and I don't have a clue where to get an example of that right now) the strongest florescence will make the poor diamond look like moonstone (which I like, both, by the way).

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
In the GIA fluoro survey, Winter 1997, they did not find enough oily / hazy / chalky stones to conduct a survey out of the 26,010 population they had to choose from.
35% fluoresced.
162 in colors other than blue (yellow white and orange).
Even less were so extremely strong fluoro that they were oily.

crash1977

Rough_Rock
The dealer was able to provide me a sarin report on the diamond.
Here are the results

1.02 ct
Diameter (mm) 6.45 (6.41 - 6.48)
Crown Angle 35 Degrees
Crown Hieght 15.3%
Pavil angle 40.7 Degrees
Pavil Depth 42.8 %
Cutlet 1.1%
Table size 56.3%
Total depth 61.9%
Girdle thick 1.2-1.9%
Porportion cut grade - excellent

I was able to take the stone into daylight, and I did not notice any haziness or oily look to the stone, however I was able to see the blue in the diamond.

My question is, I always thought a diamond would sparkle both blue and red... I don't recall seeing any red flashes when I was outside, though I did notice a lot of blue/white flashes.

Should I be seeing red in the diamond at all? Is the blue overpowering it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results