shape
carat
color
clarity

Strong blue flourescence

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CANOPENER

Rough_Rock
I have bought a round diamond with the following EGL:0.70 Ct, SI1, G and with the dimensions:Depth 60.4%
Table 57.0%
Crown 11.8%
Pav. 43.5%
Good polish and symmetry.
Excellent on the Halloway scale, so I thought $1,500 with a 30-day return guarantee was worth it. The full cert. was not available at the time and was mailed to me. As I was driving home I noticed a blue color in the diamond in sunlight. I was afraid that it had flourescence, although it wasn't cloudy. When I did get the cert, flourescence was rated as "strong blue". I was planning to go to an independent appraiser, but now I'm thinking of returning it due to the recommendations to stay away from some flourescents and its blue tint in daylight. What is your analysis and recommendation?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
You can see bluish in sunlight, how often are you in sunlight when looking at the stone?
My experiance and the GIA survey from a few years back found that most people prefer blue fluorescent diamonds. It will probably look like a D most of the time.
If it worries you, then act, but keep an open mind. I sold a strong blue 3ct E to a very good customer recently and they just loved the fluro tint.
One of the nicest 1.5ct stones we had ever had was strong blue, people just thought it was soooo white, and it was G.
garry

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
You said it didnt look cloudy in daylight. We can help, but we cant see your rock.
Send it to Dave Atlas if you are concerned.
The girdle is not ideal, but that too is not cause to be upset.
garry

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Let me recommend Steve Policastro, located in San Diego. 619-236-1643 for a local and qualified appraisal.I am going away on a vacation, and while I have five others here that could do this for you, you really need someone in your own area for this kind of work and judgement call.------------------
David Atlas
Accredited Gem Appraisers

CANOPENER

Rough_Rock
garry and david,thanks for your reply and advice. I'll use your referral.Arnold

CANOPENER

Rough_Rock
Thanks Gary,Gary and any other expert opinion on the price? Girdle is rated as thin to med. thick.

CANOPENER

Rough_Rock
Garry,to answer your question, it depends on how often my fiance will be in the sunlight. I'm not sure if she'll be concerned about her diamond showing off the blue color. The blue color is definately visible. I like a well cut stone, but I'm not sure if the flourescence takes away from the optical characteristics (for instance if it makes the stone appear cloudy). I want to ensure I didn't get ripped off. How much does a strong blue affect the price? Thanks,
arnold

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your purchase!
smile.gif

CANOPENER

Rough_Rock
I took it to steve. He downgraded the clarity a notch, but I was expecting that from EGL. He said I got a good buy. The flourescence is only noticable in sunlight and it actually looks nice. My girlfriend loves it.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi CANOPENER,Glad to hear it worked out all right for you.Congrads with you diamond!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results