shape
carat
color
clarity

Strmrdr: Virtual facets on OEC?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Storm,

I just read the fascinating thread about virtual facets in Asshers. (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-asscher-looks-so-cool-in-low-light-anyone-else.83928/) Can you show the difference between OECs and modern brilliants via virtual facets? I love the chunky facts on OECs, and I''ve never quite understood why slight changes in the size--not the arrangement--of the facets create such a dramatic difference. I''m sure your diagrams would help, if it''s not tooo much trouble for you.

Thanks!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here you go:
It is pretty clear why the oec has much larger flashes of light.

web_oecVFvsRB.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Ah, yes. That''s exactly what I wanted to see. Thank you.

So OECs should have less scintillation, because when you tilt them, the large virtual facets stay there through larger angles of tilt than the modern brilliant''s virtual facets--is that right?

To me, my OEC looks brighter than modern brilliants I''ve compared it to, and I couldn''t figure out why. I wonder whether it''s because the big virtual facets persist more than the needles in the modern brilliant.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock

Date: 8/3/2008 5:45:57 PM
Author: glitterata
Ah, yes. That''s exactly what I wanted to see. Thank you. So OECs should have less scintillation, because when you tilt them, the large virtual facets stay there through larger angles of tilt than the modern brilliant''s virtual facets--is that right? To me, my OEC looks brighter than modern brilliants I''ve compared it to, and I couldn''t figure out why. I wonder whether it''s because the big virtual facets persist more than the needles in the modern brilliant.

Less in number yes, less in quality no.
It takes more movement to give larger virtual facets life because size of the ray hitting the eye is larger.
As it hits the eye it may be like this for the same range of movement where the green is a bright flash..
RB:
... .... ..
oec
__ ___ _

That is a gross oversimplification as the flashes are not all the same size but it makes the point.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
However, the larger, slower flashes may cause a more noticable change, thus appearing to the human eye as very sparkly or firey.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/3/2008 6:53:13 PM
Author: Upgradable
However, the larger, slower flashes may cause a more noticable change, thus appearing to the human eye as very sparkly or firey.

true
My next article after the current one I''m doing for the journal will be on this subject.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results