shape
carat
color
clarity

Strm--What do you think of these ECs?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nola82

Rough_Rock
I've been looking for an EC around 2 cts, well cut, G/H color and VS1/VS2. There seem to be two--perhaps three--options. Mark at ERD says that both of the first two are beautiful stones. Strm--I've been told that you're the person to ask about these. Thanks so much for your help!

Emerald 1.89 G VS2
5.82x8.47 L/W 1.45 VG
depth 3.90 67% EX
crown 40.2 8.8% EX
pavil 45.3 53.2% EX
table 4.05 mm 69.6% EX
cutlet 0.2% off 0.2% EX
girdle 4.9% (4.8-5.0)% G

James Allen had the diamond earlier:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Emerald-Diamond-1201389.asp

nola82.jpg

nola82

Rough_Rock
2.02 ct on the left, 1.89 ct on the right

nola8222.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good idea to start a thread paging strm Nola, I will make sure he sees this!

nola82

Rough_Rock
Here's the third stone. I wanted to love this one because the numbers looked great. But the facets are not parallel, which I think would likely bother me if they were visible.

Emerald 1.85 G VS2 M-STK N EX GD GIA N 62.1% 64% 8.80x6.12x3.80
Ratio 1.44:1

dAST_GIA17157380.jpg

nola82

Rough_Rock
more...

dDI40X_GIA17157380.jpg

nola82

Rough_Rock
more...

dDI40XT_GIA17157380.jpg

nola82

Rough_Rock
more...

dIS_GIA17157380.jpg

nola82

Rough_Rock
and the Sarin.

nola82sarin.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Nola

Its probably a typo but on the Sarin above it says Radiant, not Emerald Cut? Might be worth checking the Sarin does belong to the EC.

nola82

Rough_Rock
Thanks Lorelei. I''ll ask Bob about it.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would eliminate the 1.89 right off the bat it is bright enough but has a large table and low crown.

The 2.02 looks good except for the windmills.
That is going to impact scintillation.

I would talk to WF about the pattern evenness on that one.
It is tilted in the pictures but there looks like there may be visible effects of the good symmetry.

None of the 3 are perfect.

I think the WF stone may have the least objectionable defects and be the best of the 3.
It comes down to how it looks to the eye and it could be just fine.

nola82

Rough_Rock
Thanks Karl. I guess the question is whether the unparallel facets in the WF diamond are akin to inclusions that aren't eye-visible. I've asked Bob, and he said that he thinks if I had walked into a jewelry store and seen the diamond I would not be able to tell the effects of the good symmetry. Here's a picture of the diamond on someone's hand. I can't see the unparallel lines--but it still doesn't tell me whether I could in person if held up close. Unfortunately, I guess I can't be sure of that unless I see it in person. I really want to love this diamond--and believe that at 11.5k it's a great deal. Still thinking about what to do.

handshot82.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have Bob get the ladies in the office to look at it and form a group opinion on it.
They have done so in the past for people and it helps.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I''m not an expert by any stretch, but I like the 2.02 best of all three. Seems to be nicely symmetrical with a good IS and pretty facet pattern. The asymmetry of the third one would certainly bother me, even if not eye-visible. It would be a "mind clean" issue for me.

nola82

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/17/2009 12:18:39 PM
Author: jstarfireb
I'm not an expert by any stretch, but I like the 2.02 best of all three. Seems to be nicely symmetrical with a good IS and pretty facet pattern. The asymmetry of the third one would certainly bother me, even if not eye-visible. It would be a 'mind clean' issue for me.

Of course it's just a matter of personal preference, but for me if it is eye-clean, then I'll be mind-clean. What really matters is whether my girlfriend and people she would show the diamond to can see the asymmetry. If not, then they're not a problem. I'm surprising her, so she isn't seeing these magnified images--and so wouldn't even know that the asymmetry exists.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto Jstarfireb! Somehow I like the look of 2.02 best! If I read it right, the crown height for 2.02 is 13.5%, that would make this stone a sparkly one, no?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
The problem with the 2.02 is that proper windmills break up the area circled into smaller virtual facets which gives you a lot of the small and med event scintillation in an EC.
Without them it can be flat looking in some lighting.

nola8222-1.jpg

nola82

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/17/2009 12:08:08 PM
Author: strmrdr
Have Bob get the ladies in the office to look at it and form a group opinion on it.

Bob said he showed it to three of the ladies in the office and one of the jewelers without telling them about the lines, and asked what they thought of the diamond. He told them to look hard and take their time. Apparently none of them said anything about it looking off or funny or not eye-clean, and instead asked what they were supposed to be looking for. When he told them that a customer had asked for more than one opinion, they said it looked really nice and beautiful, and one asked if she could have one.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/17/2009 5:30:04 PM
Author: nola82
Date: 9/17/2009 12:08:08 PM

Author: strmrdr

Bob said he showed it to three of the ladies in the office and one of the jewelers without telling them about the lines, and asked what they thought of the diamond. He told them to look hard and take their time. Apparently none of them said anything about it looking off or funny or not eye-clean, and instead asked what they were supposed to be looking for. When he told them that a customer had asked for more than one opinion, they said it looked really nice and beautiful, and one asked if she could have one.

WF has a 10 day return policy if you don't like it in person.
Sounds like it is worth taking a look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results