shape
carat
color
clarity

Stringing Pearls - easy or ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Can I string my own? How hard is it? Is it a skill that is learned after
much practice?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, med, yes very much so.

There are videos on youtube that show how.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would recommend you practice on cheap plastic beads before doing the real thing.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I bought some cheapie baroques and had one HECK of a time. I finished a bracelet and it''s fine if you don''t start looking too closely. The biggest tip I think is to make sure you have the right thickness of thread. It was also a late night and I was trying to teach myself based off a couple of websites. But I agree 100% with Karl - if you have some patience and practice, it''s probably not all that difficult.

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
Bebe, do you have any bead shops in town? I needed my pearls restrung also and found a local bead shop offering a class in knotting beads. I LOVED it! And have become a convert. I have been stringing pearls for the last several months for gifts and may start offering some on Etsy.

What I liked about the class is that they helped me with getting the clasp on tightly and showed my how to start and "finish" my strand so that it looks very professional. I practiced on a cheap set in class and felt good when the instructor could critique my work and watched me closely to see that I had all of the concepts down. The class was 2 hours long and $20. A very fun investment.

We learned how to knot a single strand of silk thread and I still like silk but have since started using double stranded PowerPro and think it is great for knotting. It looks as good as the silk does but it does not stretch so having to restring them less often. I just completed a 10 foot endless strand using the PowerPro because of the ease in tying the knots exactly where I want them to go.

I also found a forum called Pearl-Guide (you need the hyphen) that has great videos and contributors that are very helpful to new "knotters". If I can be of any further assistance, please let me know.

Have fun with it!

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2009 8:53:27 PM
Author: jmtomaui
Bebe, do you have any bead shops in town? I needed my pearls restrung also and found a local bead shop offering a class in knotting beads. I LOVED it! And have become a convert. I have been stringing pearls for the last several months for gifts and may start offering some on Etsy.

What I liked about the class is that they helped me with getting the clasp on tightly and showed my how to start and ''finish'' my strand so that it looks very professional. I practiced on a cheap set in class and felt good when the instructor could critique my work and watched me closely to see that I had all of the concepts down. The class was 2 hours long and $20. A very fun investment.

We learned how to knot a single strand of silk thread and I still like silk but have since started using double stranded PowerPro and think it is great for knotting. It looks as good as the silk does but it does not stretch so having to restring them less often. I just completed a 10 foot endless strand using the PowerPro because of the ease in tying the knots exactly where I want them to go.

I also found a forum called Pearl-Guide (you need the hyphen) that has great videos and contributors that are very helpful to new ''knotters''. If I can be of any further assistance, please let me know.

Have fun with it!
Thanks so much! I''m not restringing, but just want to buy strands of pearls and string them myself, seems a lot cheaper! I do have lots of bead places around, good advice, I''ll check that out.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Good luck!!

I''ve tried, and, personally, found it to be pretty hard. I have so much respect for beaders!

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/5/2009 3:38:37 PM
Author: szh07
Good luck!!

I''ve tried, and, personally, found it to be pretty hard. I have so much respect for beaders!
What did you struggle with? Just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results