shape
carat
color
clarity

Striations: how to ID via photos and in-person

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
Hello!

I've read up on WHAT striations are (info from GIA here, if anyone is interested in learning a little) but I still can't really see it. I see the striation in the example photos but when I see members identify striations in the videos and photos people post from vendor sites... I just can't confidently identify it. Can you give me any tips? How do they present in videos/photos and what would you look for in real life? Cloudiness? I found this youtube video but I still don't get how to identify that the "deadness" is from striations vs other cut considerations. Help me?

I think I see some areas with striation on this stone on some of the large side facets but it also felt pretty crisp in the center? I don't know if I'm describing it correct. I ordered it in to see in person-- see if it's eye pleasing or not.

Thanks!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This stone looks very good! Do you have a natural stone with no internal graining that you can compare it to when you receive it? I would look for haziness or a general lack of crispness. Here are examples of minor striations in the video.

striations.jpg

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I noticed it shifting between natural diamonds to lab. The mined diamonds (higher clarity) have a crystal clarity. The labs can have a streaky glass/less clear/hazy look.

Flip around and see if you start noticing the difference.

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
This stone looks very good! Do you have a natural stone with no internal graining that you can compare it to when you receive it? I would look for haziness or a general lack of crispness. Here are examples of minor striations in the video.

striations.jpg

Thank you for the image and highlight! Are the areas I highlighted in the ovals striation? Screen Shot 2023-03-15 at 12.17.32 PM.png Screen Shot 2023-03-15 at 12.17.47 PM.png

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
That is how I see it, MsP. I don't know if I am right, but my HPTP stone is so clear I can read through it without distortion. It could be an optical lens. My mined diamonds are the same. My CVD 2.23 has a different texture. It is still beautiful, but it has a different look, mild texture you can see here in the sunshine, almost reminds me of silk in a sapphire. It is very subtle.

Last edited:

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
That is how I see it, MsP. I don't know if I am right, but my HPTP stone is so clear I can read through it without distortion. It could be an optical lens. My mined diamonds are the same. My CVD 2.23 has a different texture. It is still beautiful, but it has a different look, mild texture you can see here in the sunshine, almost reminds me of silk in a sapphire. It is very subtle.

Are there vendors with search engines that let you search HPHT/CVD? I don't think I've seen that filter but perhaps I've just missed it. Is it just filter by GCAL?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ann

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Are there vendors with search engines that let you search HPHT/CVD? I don't think I've seen that filter but perhaps I've just missed it. Is it just filter by GCAL?

Here is the crazy thing, I can often tell them apart by looking at clarity in the 360. I still miss some, and some are CVD, but practice and see if you can tell after a while. I play a game.

No filters that I have seen.

Txborn79

Shiny_Rock

The only vendor I’ve seen that will let you search by Hpht/Cvd is 1215diamonds but they don’t list too many Hpht and are overpriced but you can sometimes find the diamond on another site.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I made you a video. Please know I gave them a little shower before the video. Dirty diamonds would not help to look at texture :) So there is a little moisture on the emerald and cushion.

The cushion is a true old mine cut. The edges still have the natural diamond on all 4 sides. The emerald is HPHT and the round brilliant is CVD. I am quite happy with all of them, but I can detect a clarity difference with the CVD. The reflections sometimes appear more prism-y (not a word, but not sure how else to describe) I think the flash travels in the internal waves / striations. It is subtle and in all, I think the 2.2 is a sparkle bomb anyhow. I would buy it again. It shows in this photo, look at the blue.

See what you see.

When I get my new camera, I may try again to capture. Iphone is not a great camera.

AFE0501C-3E3A-40D1-A84A-EC91E24A9764.jpeg

Last edited:

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
I made you a video. Please know I gave them a little shower before the video. Dirty diamonds would not help to look at texture :) So there is a little moisture on the emerald and cushion.

The cushion is a true old mine cut. The edges still have the natural diamond on all 4 sides. The emerald is HPHT and the round brilliant is CVD. I am quite happy with all of them, but I can detect a clarity difference with the CVD. The reflections sometimes appear more prism-y (not a word, but not sure how else to describe) I think the flash travels in the internal waves / striations. It is subtle and in all, I think the 2.2 is a sparkle bomb anyhow. I would buy it again. It shows in this photo, look at the blue.

See what you see.

When I get my new camera, I may try again to capture. Iphone is not a great camera.

Thank you! I think I can see some subtle "silkiness" (I like that description)... I imagine it would be more obvious in step cuts or chunky cuts over brilliant cuts. Your MRB is very very beautiful!

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
Here is the crazy thing, I can often tell them apart by looking at clarity in the 360. I still miss some, and some are CVD, but practice and see if you can tell after a while. I play a game.

No filters that I have seen.

Seems like adding some filter for this would be a quick win for a vendor! (although, HPHT has the concerns over the blue hint so it's not an auto-win, I suppose). At the end of the day, it's a challenge to buy diamonds based on numbers alone and a few photos and a video. Thank goodness vendors understand this and have gracious return policies.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock

See what you see.

Striations or not, that RB is beautiful!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Striations or not, that RB is beautiful!

Thank you. I have a new camera and better lens coming soon, I may see if I can capture it better. I'm nerding out now.

I like it too, I really do :)

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
Update: @MMtwo , @Kim N received the stone and I don't see the haziness that folks described might be a problem with the striations. I am not sure I'm going to keep it though--the setting is definitely not permanent--the quality is not good. Indoors it's very sparkly, crisp, love the warmth but then in the sun it feels kind of lifeless and scattered. Is that normal for cushions? This is my first cushion so I don't have a frame of reference to compare it to. I'm not sure I'm describing this well but the center has nice crispness but then out towards the edges it just gets blah.
I tried to get photos it was a lost cause. I have no idea how you guys do it. =) My attempt at a video below.
IMG_2393.jpg

I'm wondering if I'm better off sticking with a round brilliant. I am thinking I might try to locate one and compare the two.

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update: @MMtwo , @Kim N received the stone and I don't see the haziness that folks described might be a problem with the striations. I am not sure I'm going to keep it though--the setting is definitely not permanent--the quality is not good. Indoors it's very sparkly, crisp, love the warmth but then in the sun it feels kind of lifeless and scattered. Is that normal for cushions? This is my first cushion so I don't have a frame of reference to compare it to. I'm not sure I'm describing this well but the center has nice crispness but then out towards the edges it just gets blah.
I tried to get photos it was a lost cause. I have no idea how you guys do it. =) My attempt at a video below.
IMG_2393.jpg

I'm wondering if I'm better off sticking with a round brilliant. I am thinking I might try to locate one and compare the two.

That's a great idea to compare it to a round brilliant, particularly if you can find an AGS0 so you know it's well cut.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I am glad you do not have any haziness showing. Outside is a very rough place to evaluate a diamond. Most good diamonds go dark outside. My round brilliant does too.

I would evaluate under a shady tree, under low lights, in the house. My cushions vary from a crushed ice look to my old cut. None do as well in daylight as the round brilliant but the old cut is great at night.

Here is my rb is late afternoon sun. It is dark and kinda meh.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results