shape
carat
color
clarity

Stressful situation,return JA ring , get Bluenile need help

ljtoribio

Rough_Rock
so i received my james allen ring yesterday , after 2 weeks wait... the process was great amazing customer service.

Here is the details :
Setting: https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/platinum-cushion-outline-pave-engagement-ring-item-49998
Diamond : https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.20-carat-i-color-vvs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2038467
Total : $ 8330

So here is my situation, about 6 months ago me and the girlfriend was in the mall and happen to go into bluenile to look at rings and settings and to see what size finger she was. upon looking at rings she liked this setting from blue nile :

http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/cushion-halo-diamond-engagement-ring-platinum_49864?elem=img&track=product

So doing research i decided to go with james allen reading great things about the company and ect. so i found a similar setting and spoke to customer service and the setting i picked from james allen was the closest in similarity to the one she liked from bluenile. now me thinking it shouldnt be a big issue i went on to purchase from james allen.

So when i checked the ring yesterday even though it looks really nice. just didnt seem like the setting from bluenile. the setting from blue nile has that part with it lifts the diamond up more, which i think she liked when she saw it, the setting from james allen the diamond sits more flat on the setting.

confusing i know.

so what do you guys recommend :

1. Return for full refund, wait for funds to clear back, use setting from blue nile and start diamond searching again
2. Return ring to james allen and request for them to just send diamond . and then have diamond from james allen and setting from bluenile. dont know how or who will have to finish the ring .

NTave

Shiny_Rock
Re: Stressful situation,return JA ring , get Bluenile need h

I think you picked out a nice ring. My eyes prefer the prongs on the JA one. I'd probably keep and let her decide. The design is very similar and they are both stock settings. You know your future FI best so go with your own feelings on it.

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock

It does look like there is a slight height difference between the still photos and the video in the JA ring. The stone pictured on the hands looks to be set a little higher.

Of the two rings I prefer the JA. Beautiful!!!

ljtoribio

Rough_Rock

thank you guys , what am considering is taken the james allen ring , to blue nile today and check a side by side comparison and make my decision ... i dont know what else to do lol

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I prefer the JA also.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Propose within the return period. She might just love the JA setting more.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I also prefer the JA setting. The BN settings is more likely to snag on things, as well.

Elepig

Rough_Rock

They are very similar. If given the choice, I prefer the James Allen. I don't like the diamond being up that far from the halo in the Blue Nile.
You should ask your girlfriend. I bet she just likes 'halo' and maybe didn't notice the height of the diamond...until you point it out to her?

(I'd keep the diamond either way. Less stress of looking for another.)

ljtoribio

Rough_Rock

Elepig|1475170473|4082041 said:
They are very similar. If given the choice, I prefer the James Allen. I don't like the diamond being up that far from the halo in the Blue Nile.
You should ask your girlfriend. I bet she just likes 'halo' and maybe didn't notice the height of the diamond...until you point it out to her?

The time we went to bluenile she tried on several rings and she was the one the pointed out how she likes how the diamond perks up / pops up from the setting ... ughhh this is really tough sorry guys if am making a big deal .

Elepig

Rough_Rock

No apologies needed. It is a stressful kind of purchase that you want to do right.

If she said she likes it popped out like that, then go for it. (Does JA have one that pops and could they make it pop if they don't ?)

I assume she tried on something like the JA where it wasn't 'up'. If not, ask.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

i'm wondering if JA can reset the stone so that it's higher? Can you call and ask? Experts, is this even doable? You don't want it TOO high though, it'll be more prone to snagging or hitting things.

I much prefer the JA setting but if you do decide to go with the BN, i say keep the JA stone, it's really beautiful.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock

ljtoribio|1475171312|4082048 said:
Elepig|1475170473|4082041 said:

The time we went to bluenile she tried on several rings and she was the one the pointed out how she likes how the diamond perks up / pops up from the setting ... ughhh this is really tough sorry guys if am making a big deal .

The James Allen setting is going to be better quality than the blue nile one.

I think you're going to be fine.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I prefer the JA setting. JA may be able to set the stone higher in the setting. You will have to call JA and ask.

I prefer stones in halos to be set low. Whenever I see a stone sticking way high I think it doesnt fit the setting and they
had to set it that high. That's just my interpretation though. She likes what she likes. In the mean time I would keep
the ring the way it is and see what she has to say about it. It is not such a big deal in my mind that it needs to be returned
and redone until you know whether your GF likes it or not. I wouldnt bring it up...at least not right away and see if
she says anything on her own. I think it is very sweet that you are trying to please her down to the smallest detail. :))

Rivendell

Shiny_Rock

I also prefer the James Allen setting - it looks much more expensive than the Blue Nile. I think you made the right choice it's a beautiful setting.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I also like the James Allen one more than the Blue Nile one. Settings where the diamond sits "above" the halo rather than nestled in it look cheap to me, and probably most people on this forum, because they usually show that the halo wasn't custom-made for the stone and are typical of mass-manufactured settings, so probably no one here is going to like that look. BUUUUUUT if that's the look your girlfriend wants...

Personally I would show your girlfriend the link for the setting from James Allen with the link for the setting from Blue Nile and see if she has a strong preference.

ljtoribio

Rough_Rock

Thanks for all the feedback you guys have been amazing.

One thing I didn't mention if it even makes a difference in what you guys have suggested , is that she is a size 7.25 not sure if it matters depending on size of the actual setting , looks like the blue Nile setting is a Lil but thicker and yes I notice that James Allen is of better quality.

Once reason why I decided going the James Allen route has been because of the stories and reviews of people satisfied , am in no way trying to force myself to go the bluenile route . Am happy myself with the James Allen , I just don't know how I would feel if she kinda likes it rather then give her the wowwww factor ...

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

distracts|1475176861|4082104 said:
I also like the James Allen one more than the Blue Nile one. Settings where the diamond sits "above" the halo rather than nestled in it look cheap to me, and probably most people on this forum, because they usually show that the halo wasn't custom-made for the stone and are typical of mass-manufactured settings, so probably no one here is going to like that look. BUUUUUUT if that's the look your girlfriend wants...

Personally I would show your girlfriend the link for the setting from James Allen with the link for the setting from Blue Nile and see if she has a strong preference.

Ditto...this is what I was trying to say but distracts did a better job at it. Hand forged designers like Victor Canera, Steven Kirsch and
Leon Mege would never set a stone that high. Matter fact I would be really upset if my stone was set that high out of the halo. :(sad

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I agree with everyone else...the JA setting is much nicer!

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock

I prefer the James Allen one, significantly. I do not like when the stone is set high out of the halo like in the Blue Nile one. It looks awkward and like someone is trying to cram the wrong sized stone into a setting (which to me also reflects a "cheaper" setting).

It also means the stone is more exposed to bangs and hits.

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock

Another vote for the JA setting which looks MUCH more nicely done and harmonious.

It's so sweet of you to stress like this over your girl's preference but look at it this way: she might like the JA better too once she sees it (and she may not even remember this detail of the BN setting). But you are in any case safe because of JA's return policy.

Let us know how it all goes!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would propose with the JA ring, which I think looks nicer, and not say one word about the setting being different. If she says anything, just say you read that diamonds set up higher are more likely to snag on things or bump things and chip. That probably will settle it. Not to mention, the diamond looks larger set close to the halo as opposed to being set too high above it.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I prefer low set rings (feel they are more wearable) but your significant other will be the one wearing the ring. If she specifically pointed out settings where the stone is set above the halo as what she wants, then I don't know if I would ignore that. Would it be bad to take your so to bn with the setting you chose and then make a decision?

Q

Queenie60

diamondseeker2006|1475245837|4082348 said:
I would propose with the JA ring, which I think looks nicer, and not say one word about the setting being different. If she says anything, just say you read that diamonds set up higher are more likely to snag on things or bump things and chip. That probably will settle it. Not to mention, the diamond looks larger set close to the halo as opposed to being set too high above it.

I say this!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I generally avoid suggesting which ring to pick. It is so very personal. However, I want to vote that the JA ring is the one I would suggest, like most everyone else has here already done. It really looks like a beautiful example compared to the Blue Nile style. Putting the center diamond up higher, may look a bit more attractive in the short term, but in the longer term, the higher the main diamond is set, the more annoying it can become and the more likely it is to get damaged or snag on clothing. Lower set center stones are way easier to get along with and more wearable. The JA ring gives nothing up on the BN ring. Both rings do the exact same job, but most folks who have looked into these things or have experience would pick the JA style, I believe. Still, you have the ultimate choice.

If a person wanted to have the JA ring with the central diamond set higher, it is very possible to do. The four prongs need to be changed to longer ones which rise at a steeper angle to allow the diamond to fit higher up. While not a free alteration, it is not a huge job or all that unusual. I don't see any benefit in doing the job, but visually, there will be a change in the height of the center stone.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Neither BN or JA known for delicate halo work
So, return to JA and speak with BE, VC or SK about halo work
Usually BE comes in less expensive
Good luck

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock

WillyDiamond|1475271887|4082490 said:
Good luck
Not everyone wants or needs a $3k+ setting.

My James Allen halo is beautiful and was an excellent bargain for the $1k I paid for it.

They make perfectly lovely settings that are well made and durable. Not everything needs to be custom, handforged, platinum, and $$$.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

kb1gra|1475277285|4082505 said:
Good luck

My James Allen halo is beautiful and was an excellent bargain for the $1k I paid for it.

They make perfectly lovely settings that are well made and durable. Not everything needs to be custom, handforged, platinum, and $$$.

BE does CAD to keep cost down

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

WillyDiamond|1475331819|4082642 said:

This is a process that can be hair-pullingly unpleasant, even for those of us who are used to it. There was no need to criticize the OP's choice of a less-than-custom ring.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

WillyDiamond|1475331819|4082642 said:
kb1gra|1475277285|4082505 said:
Good luck

As someone who has used BE and thoroughly enjoy my ring and the process with them AND would use them again, they are still not the end all or be all. They have their place for those who have the funds and time for it. Please remember we're not all the same, and have different priorities. A lot less elitism and more realism is needed here.

Back on topic.

The JA ring setting has great flow, sits low, which means its less likely to catch on things. I like its proportions. Like many I prefer it to the BN setting which looks to have the stone sit quite high, and by the images, looks less refined. I have a few high set rings I barely wear, and will be as time and funds permits, transitioned into lower to the finger settings. They'll be some stock setting from somebody! :lol: I especially have to be careful with them when wearing things like gloves and scarves (and sweaters!!) I haven't ordered a ring from either company, just going by what I've seen via images.

If you give show her the ring within the return period, you can at that point keep or change it out if she wants to go to a setting where the stone sits higher. Otherwise you have have the stone unset, receive a refund, THEN turn around buy a setting and THEN reset the stone. Not sure what your timeline is, but that in itself can be stress inducing. I wouldn't do that if I didn't really have to.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Good luck

This comment is inappropriate. Doesn't address OP's question at all and suggests something far more difficult and expensive that OP has shown no interest in.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results