shape
carat
color
clarity

Stressed Out--Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tiffanyjoy

Rough_Rock
I got engaged a month ago. My honey did not get a certification with the diamond. We got an appraisal for insurance purposes (GIA certified gemologist). Says the stone is 1.79, H color VS2. I just happened to stop by a local "Jewlery Exchange" for something else, and a jeweler told me my ring is I color at best (he just looked at at on my finger. Should I be worried by what the jeweler said or trust the GIA appraiser guy? Should I get this stone certified on top of the appraisal? Any bit of advice would help. Thanks!!

barry

Shiny_Rock
It's always a problem purchasing a diamond
that has no accompanying lab certification.
If the GIA trained gemologist/appraiser is not
independent,but works in-store and has his
salary paid by the store owner, then no
doubt his Color/Clarity grades will favor
the store. It is also quite possible your "VS-2" is a SI-1.

I suggest you get a report from either GIA or AGS.
If the report comes back with a color/clarity grading
lower than what was given you and if you are still within
the time-frame of your return policy, you might
opt for a return or an adjustment on the price.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

Tiffanyjoy

Rough_Rock
I thought so. Thanks!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
Should I be worried by what the jeweler said or trust the GIA
appraiser guy?
-----------

Barry gave you good advice to attain peace of mind regarding the grading.

I will add however, that I would tend to trust the grading of a GIA Graduate Gemologist who color graded the stone under proper lighting against a white background next to master color stones over the shoot-from-the-hip color grading of a jeweler who is merely looking at the stone on your finger.

Very unprofessional to render an opinion like that under those circumstances. From more than one standpoint.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely get an independent appraisal done, it will be fun to get the specs, and you'll know for sure.

Also...I agree that the GIA gemologist may be more qualified than the Jewelry Exchange (is this the place in Burlingame? They are SO shifty!!! Their ads for $499 3 stone rings are worse than the mall jewelers) jeweler aka salesperson who is probably just upset that he lost your 1.79c business.

2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results