shape
carat
color
clarity

Strange way to phrase a question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rock Music

Rough_Rock
I have done some reading here and elsewhere.
Please tell me if my understanding of a good brilliant cut is correct.
The best cut possible will return all of the light entering the crown back through the crown.
Little or none leaks out the bottom.
Of course absolute perfection is not possible, so perhaps 98% return is about the best achievable.

Now imagine you are in dark room with no lights or windows.
But in one wall is a 6mm hole.
Filling this hole is a virtually perfectly cut round diamond with the crown facing out into the light.

From inside that dark room would you see any light coming through the pavilion?
As the cut gets worse you would see more and more light.
Right?

Now what if you installed the well-cut diamond with the crown facing the room?
Will light striking the pavilion also be blocked?

The reason I am asking this is I am trying to decide on a setting.
One consideration I had is I was thinking a tension setting will let more light under the diamond, giving more sparkle to what you see coming up from the top.
Apparently this is not true with a well cut round. Right?

Along the same lines the bezel settings in which NO light can get to the bottom of the stone will not reduce the appearance of a well cut stone. Right?

Spear

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/12/2005 10
6.gif
0:57 AM
Author:Rock Music
Now imagine you are in dark room with no lights or windows.
But in one wall is a 6mm hole.
Filling this hole is an virtually perfectly cut round diamond with the crown facing out into the light.

From inside that dark room would you see any light coming through the pavilion?
As the cut gets worse you would see more and more light.
Right?
This is a really interesting concept.
Its a lot like a question that I would ask.

I am really excited to see what people''s reply would be to this.

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
I was also considering a bezel setting for my next ring (durability issues mainly) and from what I have read they do not reduce brilliance if the stone is well cut since light entering the top if what is reflected anyway. If you take a well cut stone and hold it up to a light source with the crown facing the light source I believe the only light you should see from the bottom is the pinhole where the culet is. Following this, in a dark room you would only see the culet point when the crown faces the light and I''m assuming no light if the stone is placed with the pavillion facing the light. Of course, I''m no expert. Just my two cents. Somebody should do an experiment and see what happens!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results