shape
carat
color
clarity

Strange Request - but throwing it out there.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

terrapin23

Rough_Rock
I''m going to come up with an engagement ring on my own so that it''s a complete surprise...but my girlfriend has made it a little challenging. Here''s what I know:

She likes rings that look more like men''s rings, so nothing too foo foo.

She likes Vintage Rings.

Platinum.

She''s also very frugal, so while I''d buy her whatever she wants, she''ll flip out if I spend too much money. She rarely wears jewelry and it needs to be a bit understated.

I was thinking something like a combination of the Knox ruby ring linked below, but with a diamond...and something like the Tiffany Lucida Bezel. Does that sound possible? Ugly? Does anyone know of anything else out there that already exists that may fit? Any help would be whole-heartedly appreciated!!!

TIA!

Knox Ruby

Lucida Bezel

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Lucinda Bezel is AMAZING! It sounds like it fits the bill, except modern, not vintage.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/31/2009 4:20:47 PM
Author: AprilBaby
The Lucinda Bezel is AMAZING! It sounds like it fits the bill, except modern, not vintage.
Ditto! Maybe you could do something like the Lucinda Bezel but put some etching down the sides and maybe milgrain
the bezel? Would look very unique yet understated IMO.

Are you looking for a premade setting or planning on doing a custom? Are you just looking for opinions?

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
I guess if you are looking at a Tiffany Lucida, then "spending too much money" must mean a LOT of money! Do you have a budget for the center stone and setting? Favorite diamond shape? Does she want to wear a wedding band with it or is this to be a stand-alone ring? I know that Kirk Kara makes some nice vintage inspired rings with smaller diamonds, but they don''t look like men''s rings at all.

If you can afford it, the Tiffany Lucida is a gorgeous choice.

E B

Ideal_Rock
terrapin,

What about the Juno?

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 5:02:37 PM
Author: EBree
terrapin,

What about the Juno?

I think the one EBree found fits your description PERFECTLY! I''m sure they can make it in Platinum for you.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

ajourklaus

Rough_Rock
I like the Knox version.
If they make this ring the same width all around it becomes more masculine.
I am working on ring like this right now:

2 modern solitaire 1.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
If she doesn''t want something too foo foo, I would stay away from engraving. Maybe one of the Knox rings without the engraving? That could be simple and elegant. (though the corners on the princess bezel look a little ouchy-sharp.

Does she know you''re planning to propose, or is the whole thing a secret? If she does know you''re looking for a ring, maybe you could go check out some jewelry stores with her to get a sense of what makes her eyes light up and what makes her go ewwww.

terrapin23

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 4:41:08 PM
Author: tyty333

Are you looking for a premade setting or planning on doing a custom? Are you just looking for opinions?

Either way - I''ll go custom if need be, but I''d love to find something that works.

terrapin23

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 5:02:37 PM
Author: EBree
terrapin,

What about the Juno?

I agree, it''s almost perfect. I''d just prefer that it be a bit lower profile...those look like some pretty sharp edges!

terrapin23

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 4:42:53 PM
Author: NeverEndingUpgrade
I guess if you are looking at a Tiffany Lucida, then ''spending too much money'' must mean a LOT of money! Do you have a budget for the center stone and setting? Favorite diamond shape? Does she want to wear a wedding band with it or is this to be a stand-alone ring? I know that Kirk Kara makes some nice vintage inspired rings with smaller diamonds, but they don''t look like men''s rings at all.

No, no - I don''t have that kind of budget, especially since all that they''re currently offering are 1k plus...I''d be looking at having someone make something similar. I just can''t justify paying for the blue box, and she wouldn''t appreciate the name brand...but I love the ring.

No clue as to favorite diamond shape - I''m guessing that she''ll wear a wedding band...but if it''s a thicker band, she may not.

Thanks so much everyone for your help!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 6:33:29 PM
Author: terrapin23

I agree, it's almost perfect. I'd just prefer that it be a bit lower profile...those look like some pretty sharp edges!

They could probably tweak it so it was perfect. And if you're worried about edges, you could do a clipped corner X-Factor, Jubilee or radiant as the center.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Um. You do realize that the Lucida comes with the diamond right?

And that the other''s don''t come with the diamond? Because you said 3,500 is too much for your budget so I''m a little concerned that we don''t have the full picture.

What is your budget? For stone and setting together. And what size center are you looking for?

And NEU, that is STUNNING. That setting is the most amazing thing.

DentD

Rough_Rock
I know this isn't very vintage-looking but would she be interested in a design similar to mine? It was just a custom setting done by a local jeweler. It wasn't hard at all to describe, so I don't think you'd have an issue getting somebody else to do similar work. You could probably easily give it a more vintage look and if you're looking at princess diamonds specifically this design would work just as well I believe.

ringfire1.jpg

dentcamera.jpg

I love my ring because it's a low profile and the bezel edges lie flat instead of sticking up like some semi-bezels I have seen!

Whatever you choose, be sure to show pictures of the finished product! Best of luck!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
ditto gypsy on the james or caleb meyer - the definition of vintage style with clean simple lines, imho!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
The Lucinda Bezel is AMAZING!
Agreed.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 6:38:24 PM
Date: 3/31/2009 4:42:53 PM

Author: NeverEndingUpgrade

I guess if you are looking at a Tiffany Lucida, then 'spending too much money' must mean a LOT of money! Do you have a budget for the center stone and setting? Favorite diamond shape? Does she want to wear a wedding band with it or is this to be a stand-alone ring? I know that Kirk Kara makes some nice vintage inspired rings with smaller diamonds, but they don't look like men's rings at all.

No, no - I don't have that kind of budget, especially since all that they're currently offering are 1k plus...I'd be looking at having someone make something similar. I just can't justify paying for the blue box, and she wouldn't appreciate the name brand...but I love the ring.

No clue as to favorite diamond shape - I'm guessing that she'll wear a wedding band...but if it's a thicker band, she may not.

Thanks so much everyone for your help!
That's a big question. I'd find a way to get the answer.
27.gif

terrapin23

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 8:11:38 PM
Author: HopeDream
Hey Terrapin,

Check this one out:

https://www.artdecodiamonds.com/products.php?id=991&l=0&u=2147483647&sortway=desc

simple, vintage, not too froofy (I think).

Cheers,
HD

I think that may be absolutely what I''m looking for. My latest clue (last night) was that she loves Art Deco rings....this may be the one. Right now Knox is getting me some mock ups of the Lucida with more of a vintage flair, but if that doesn''t work, I may be going this route. THANK YOU.

terrapin23

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 11:06:47 PM
Author: Gypsy
Um. You do realize that the Lucida comes with the diamond right?

And that the other''s don''t come with the diamond? Because you said 3,500 is too much for your budget so I''m a little concerned that we don''t have the full picture.

What is your budget? For stone and setting together. And what size center are you looking for?

I do realize that it comes with the diamond. It''s not so much budget as just getting the right ring. I''m going to catch some heat regardless just because she''s by nature a frugal person...but whether that''s for spending $4, or $10k, doesn''t much matter. For me it''s all about the look of the ring, not the caret size, not the price...I just want the right ring.

terrapin23

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 11:35:31 PM
Author: DentD
I know this isn''t very vintage-looking but would she be interested in a design similar to mine? I
Whatever you choose, be sure to show pictures of the finished product! Best of luck!

Beautiful ring, thanks for sharing! I''ll definitely come back and show you what I came up with.

terrapin23

Rough_Rock
Hey all - just wanted to thank you so much for all of your help. I ended up buying the Tiffany Lucida Bezel from Signed Pieces - they were fantastic to work with, and I got a great deal on the ring, and it''s absolutely gorgeous. I''m taking it to Tiffany today to get it resized - and then I''ll be proposing in about a month...

If I could ask another question real quick - which has nothing to do with rockytalky - so maybe I should switch forums - but... She has a 4yo daughter - who I''d like to include in the proposal. I was thinking of buying her a piece of jewelry as well....but was thinking maybe I''d get some kind of similar looking silver bezel pendant/chain as opposed to a ring. What do you think? Who''s the go-to silver jeweler online?

Thanks again!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2009 9:12:10 AM
Hey all - just wanted to thank you so much for all of your help. I ended up buying the Tiffany Lucida Bezel from Signed Pieces - they were fantastic to work with, and I got a great deal on the ring, and it''s absolutely gorgeous. I''m taking it to Tiffany today to get it resized - and then I''ll be proposing in about a month...

If I could ask another question real quick - which has nothing to do with rockytalky - so maybe I should switch forums - but... She has a 4yo daughter - who I''d like to include in the proposal. I was thinking of buying her a piece of jewelry as well....but was thinking maybe I''d get some kind of similar looking silver bezel pendant/chain as opposed to a ring. What do you think? Who''s the go-to silver jeweler online?

Thanks again!
Yay! Please post pics when you have the ring on her hand - she is going to love it! I think that ring is perfect.

As for the daughter, that is a really beautiful gesture to give her a piece of jewelry as well. Blue Nile has some beautiful and affordable silver pieces, and birthstone pieces. Maybe you could give her a little necklace with her birthstone in it?
Check out this bezel pendant from Blue Nile for $45 (it''s shown with amethyst but you can choose any birthstone):
http://www.bluenile.com/sterling-silver-amethyst-pendant_6895
Or this one is heart shaped for $55:
http://www.bluenile.com/sterling-silver-amethyst-heart-pendant_7265?show_all_pages=1

Also, Red Envelope (online) does some gorgeous sterling silver & gemstone jewelry at very affordable prices.
Something like this for $50: http://gifts.redenvelope.com/necklaces/birthstonecirclenecklace-30000975?viewpos=4&trackingpgroup=rbsjw&reviews=11&ratings=4.6364&catid=rbsjw
Something like this for $75: http://gifts.redenvelope.com/necklaces/birthstonedropsnecklace-30000998?viewpos=19&trackingpgroup=rbsjw&reviews=1&ratings=3.0000&catid=rbsjw

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a thoughtful and sweet idea to include her daughter!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results