shape
carat
color
clarity

Strange question about diamonds and tweezers

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, ok, I know that theoretically this shouldn't be an issue.

But I just had to ask anyway. Is it actually possible to damage your diamond with locking tweezers where you apply pressure?

Is the pointed end of the pavilion susceptible to any damage? Or is the girdle susceptible to any damage from such actions? Especially when you apply pressure to lock the diamond.

Can you conceivably damage a diamond with tweezers in any way or form?

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I'm pretty sure I've done it. I bought so many diamonds from this guy he started sending me bonuses that weren't the quality he liked to sell. One of these freebies was small and pretty included maybe around 8 points. I pick it and heard a tiny quick sound like nails on a chalk board and swear it shattered internally before my eyes. I use rubber coated tweezers now.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
The culet and girdle are definitely the weak points. With a reasonably thick girdle (i.e., not extremely thin like both my OECs have!) it isn't horribly fragile, but... it's definitely possible to damage the culet and/or the girdle with just the wrong pressure in just the wrong place. I've shattered melee too- and with not much of a whack either. I dropped a setting into a sink from about 8 inches up and shattered a stone. So yeah, diamonds can be finicky. Wrap the tweezers in something? It's not *that* likely to damage a larger diamond with decent clarity with tweezers, but possible, IMO, yes. And pinks, they have internal graining usually, yes? That can be a weakness if I recall one of GOG's tutorials right (the grain/strain one)?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TristanC|1312195344|2981523 said:
Hi, ok, I know that theoretically this shouldn't be an issue.

But I just had to ask anyway. Is it actually possible to damage your diamond with locking tweezers where you apply pressure?

Is the pointed end of the pavilion susceptible to any damage? Or is the girdle susceptible to any damage from such actions? Especially when you apply pressure to lock the diamond.

Can you conceivably damage a diamond with tweezers in any way or form?

I would definitely think you could - they're hard (to scratch) but not immune to cleavage or chipping by any means!
I'd use coated tweezers and avoid the unnecessary pinpoint pressure risk, like Kelpie says!

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah i ask because I received my locking tweezers, and was super careful... but at one point when trying to do the culet and table position (like how Leibish always holds it), the diamond slipped; I applied pressure; I heard a scratchy sound like glass on metal, and my heart stopped beating.

I scoped it for 20 minutes from every angle with 2 magnifications. I can't SEE anything wrong with the culet... it doesn't have one (I THINK). But I am freaked out big time.

Can you imagine how I would feel if i cleaved my pink? ARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH.

Ok, anyone knows a cheapie vendor who sells plastic sleeves for tweezers online or on ebay for a few cents?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TristanC|1312250429|2982004 said:
Yeah i ask because I received my locking tweezers, and was super careful... but at one point when trying to do the culet and table position (like how Leibish always holds it), the diamond slipped; I applied pressure; I heard a scratchy sound like glass on metal, and my heart stopped beating.

I scoped it for 20 minutes from every angle with 2 magnifications. I can't SEE anything wrong with the culet... it doesn't have one (I THINK). But I am freaked out big time.

Can you imagine how I would feel if i cleaved my pink? ARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH.

Ok, anyone knows a cheapie vendor who sells plastic sleeves for tweezers online or on ebay for a few cents?

Interesting idea - I never thought of tweezer sleeves. I'm not finding anything, but I'm not sure what to look for! I don't use my gem tweezers for anything else so I just wrapped the ends in electrical tape.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm sure your diamond is fine Tristan ( whew)

When I first read the question, I thought no way....really unlikely.
However I was thinking in context of seeing people experienced in holding loose diamonds.
Generally these people use a non locking tweezer.

The problem with locking tweezers is applying enough pressure to hold the diamond- yet not too much- which causes the diamond to pop out- which can also be disastrous in some circumstances ( goes down a heater vent- out the window- whatever)
The proper method of examination involves holding the diamond using a non locking tweezer, and applying the correct pressure- it's something many people do naturally- many can learn- some can't. I'd much rather drop a stone by not holding it firmly enough- as opposed to "popping it"
Holding the diamond table and culet is a very difficult thing to do properly- an experienced hand is needed
With a lockable, yes, I believe it's possible to damage a stone.
But from the sound of it, it's really unlikely you did any damage

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Rockdiamond|1312254311|2982045 said:
I'm sure your diamond is fine Tristan ( whew)

When I first read the question, I thought no way....really unlikely.
However I was thinking in context of seeing people experienced in holding loose diamonds.
Generally these people use a non locking tweezer.

The problem with locking tweezers is applying enough pressure to hold the diamond- yet not too much- which causes the diamond to pop out- which can also be disastrous in some circumstances ( goes down a heater vent- out the window- whatever)
The proper method of examination involves holding the diamond using a non locking tweezer, and applying the correct pressure- it's something many people do naturally- many can learn- some can't. I'd much rather drop a stone by not holding it firmly enough- as opposed to "popping it"
Holding the diamond table and culet is a very difficult thing to do properly- an experienced hand is needed
With a lockable, yes, I believe it's possible to damage a stone.
But from the sound of it, it's really unlikely you did any damage

Thanks Rockdiamond. I think that the amount of pressure required to be placed on a diamond to actually cause Crushing damage is impossible (I THINK) unless there is a serious inclusion at that point or a weakness in the gem. Flying, popping out etc is ridiculously scary unless you view your coloured diamonds in an all white room with no seams.

The correct method is diamond flat on the table, then grip the stone with the tweezers, then apply force to lock right? Need to practice on my zirconia.

It was the grinding of the girdle or culet against the metal teeth and the like that worries me. I think you're right though. I'll go loupe it again just to make sure.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You're welcome Tristan!

Actually I have a funny story about this.
Back when I was in training at Harry Winston, the group of about 25 students was all young kids- the oldest were about 25- most of us were under 20 years old.
The "taskmaster" was incredibly strict. There was no talking- you had to ask permission to use the bathroom.
Needless to say, when the taskmaster walked out of the room for a moment, we'd go wild.
One thing we discovered was how to shatter diamonds using tweezers.
Simply shove the diamond as deep into the "v" at the end of the tweezer, and apply pressure ( like put it on the floor and step on it)
Yes, you can shatter diamonds with a tweezers , if Abe walks out of the room:)

Meantime- please get a non locking tweezer to try out.
Make sure the tip is not super fine (like the ones to pick up .01ct stones)- and practice a little bit with your CZ.
You'll never go back to locking tweezers.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Rockdiamond|1312320960|2982579 said:
You're welcome Tristan!

Back when I was in training at Harry Winston, the group of about 25 students was all young kids- the oldest were about 25- most of us were under 20 years old.
The "taskmaster" was incredibly strict. There was no talking- you had to ask permission to use the bathroom.
Needless to say, when the taskmaster walked out of the room for a moment, we'd go wild.
Simply shove the diamond as deep into the "v" at the end of the tweezer, and apply pressure ( like put it on the floor and step on it)

Make sure the tip is not super fine (like the ones to pick up .01ct stones)- and practice a little bit with your CZ.
Did The Taskmaster wonder where the heck all the diamonds were disappearing to ever? :lol:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
fyi heat shrink tubing works great for covering the ends of tweezers and gets a nice safer grip on diamonds/gemstones.
I find that I end up springing fewer across the room using coated tweezers.
I use heat shrink coated locking tweezers all the time to show people how to loupe gemstones with no issues on gemstones much more fragile than diamonds and with cz.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LGK|1312333711|2982718 said:
You're welcome Tristan!

Did The Taskmaster wonder where the heck all the diamonds were disappearing to ever? :lol:

We would use teeny stones- like .01ct- which was within the "tolerance" level.
The goods were weighed when they gave them to us, and when we returned them, assorted.
Plus we did not do it that many times- in fact, maybe I was the only one doing it.
Now that I recall, the last time I did it was just before I got fired ( for no reason I might add) :twirl:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockdiamond|1312398910|2983312 said:
LGK|1312333711|2982718 said:
You're welcome Tristan!

We would use teeny stones- like .01ct- which was within the "tolerance" level.
The goods were weighed when they gave them to us, and when we returned them, assorted.
Plus we did not do it that many times- in fact, maybe I was the only one doing it.
Now that I recall, the last time I did it was just before I got fired ( for no reason I might add) :twirl:

:bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results