shape
carat
color
clarity

Storm ISAIAS - Will become a hurricane

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad that power is starting to get restored up there!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ETA I just heard the national Guard is being sent to my county as 90% is still without power. Fingers crossed!

You’re very kind @missy. Thank you!!

You are close to me, but I think we are in different states, so we would have different governors. I've been cut off from the news so I have no idea if our governor called out the National Guard, but I doubt it. I have a friend who works for AAA and he usually keeps me apprised of emergency conditions. (My house phone works and he and I talk pretty much every day. Yesterday we spoke twice.)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No power here still. DH is part of the restoration and says it could be over a week before it comes back. He leaves at 5am and gets back around 11pm so the crews are really doing all they can. The problem for some of us is that electric companies care about their outage number and lowering it as quickly as possible. That means if you aren't on a circuit that is connected to a lot of other houses or businesses, you will be waiting a while.

Somebody drove through the police tape around the lines that were in the road last night. I'm not surprised with how fast people drive down the street!

We've been going to our neighbor's house since the power lines are still across my front yard, too dangerous to send the kids out to play. I brought all our food over there before it spoiled since we are all eating together.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No power here still. DH is part of the restoration and says it could be over a week before it comes back. He leaves at 5am and gets back around 11pm so the crews are really doing all they can. The problem for some of us is that electric companies care about their outage number and lowering it as quickly as possible. That means if you aren't on a circuit that is connected to a lot of other houses or businesses, you will be waiting a while.

Somebody drove through the police tape around the lines that were in the road last night. I'm not surprised with how fast people drive down the street!

We've been going to our neighbor's house since the power lines are still across my front yard, too dangerous to send the kids out to play. I brought all our food over there before it spoiled since we are all eating together.

@YadaYadaYada with live power lines across your yard doesn’t that constitute an emergency? Should the electric company send someone to get that off your property?

@AGBF glad you have a generator and hope all starts working soon.

Stay safe!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"600K remain in the dark following historic power outages

More than 600,000 residents remain without power Thursday morning, two days after Tropical Storm Isaias tore through Connecticut.

The storm brought heavy rains and roaring winds that knocked out power to hundreds of thousands of Eversource and United Illuminating customers in Connecticut and caused hazardous road conditions with wires, trees and debris coating the roadways.

Eversource reported 542,427 customers without power as of 6:15 a.m. Thursday, while United Illuminating reported 80,153 outages. Nearly 50,000 customers had their power restored overnight Wednesday, according to the two companies’ estimates.

On Wednesday, Eversource said power restoration would likely continue for 'multiple days.'

Gov. Ned Lamont met with executives of Eversource, including CEO James Judge, for about 45 minutes late Wednesday afternoon at the company’s main operations center in Berlin.

Lamont on Wednesday took issue with the response to the outages by the state’s utility companies, requesting the Connecticut Public Utilities Regulatory Authority investigate the state’s public utility companies during the widespread outages.

Lamont called the response by the utility companies 'wholly inadequate'

The governor said he asked PURA to investigate the specific steps the companies took leading up to the storm, especially since it hit along the path set out days prior by meteorologists.

'I want them to feel the sense of urgency that we felt,' Lamont said after the meeting, as an Eversource vice president stood nearby. 'I want to make sure that we put every person we can on the table to make sure that we take care of this. I don’t want any excuses.'

'We’ve got to get this state up and operating again with a working electric system and I want that done overwhelmingly by the end of the week,' Lamont added.

Michael Hayhurst, vice president of electric operations in Connecticut, said the impact of Tropical Storm Isaias was 'greater than Superstorm Sandy' in terms of power outages.

One of the hardest hit communities in the state was Westport, which as of 9:40 p.m. Wednesday reported nearly 97 percent of Eversource customers in town without power. Westport’s Emergency Management Team said cleanup efforts and power restoration will take days.

A possible waterspout — a typically funnel-shaped cloud that occurs over a body of water; known as a tornado over water — was seen 'approaching land from the (Long Island) Sound shore in Westport' at about 1:40 p.m. Tuesday, according to a National Weather Service summary of major incidents during the storm.

Hayhurst said the 'fierce winds' caused 'widespread power outages and historic damage.'

He said Eversource crews are headed to the skies to assess the overhead equipment across the state, while using patrols on the ground. He said this will let the company 'efficiently deploy our resources to get power restored for all of our customers.'"

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy you would think, it has been called in but there are so many people that have trees across their streets, power lines hanging in the street etc that they just can't get to everyone.

We are assuming they are live and treating them as such but we are out of the house from 10am until 8pm reducing the risk as much as we can. Our utility, Eversource still has 41% of customers out.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy you would think, it has been called in but there are so many people that have trees across their streets, power lines hanging in the street etc that they just can't get to everyone.

We are assuming they are live and treating them as such but we are out of the house from 10am until 8pm reducing the risk as much as we can. Our utility, Eversource still has 41% of customers out.

OMG, yada, what a mess.
I'm glad the neighbor is taking care of you!
I hope this all gets resolved soon!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm happy to hear that so many got power back! My friend is still without power she's being hopeful for today!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No power here yet. Generator is great, but doesn't do everything. I have no washer or dryer. Certain lights (like the lamp on my bedside table) are not on it. I had to move the coffee maker to make coffee. But these are Third World problems. :))

Congratulations, S. :wavey:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am still out!! :wall:
Estimated restoration Saturday night. :oops2:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am still out!! :wall:
Estimated restoration Saturday night. :oops2:

Good luck, Slick1! I hope they surprise you by getting it back early.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We were lucky here, it made landfall about 2 hours from us this time in Ocean Isle, NC. It's pretty bad there. We could not have withstood another strike like 2 years ago (Florence).

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We were lucky here, it made landfall about 2 hours from us this time in Ocean Isle, NC. It's pretty bad there. We could not have withstood another strike like 2 years ago (Florence).

The unfortunate part is that this is going to be a terrible hurricane season. 2020 is the year that just keeps on giving. I think a lot of people will just skip 2020 and go straight to 2021...lol

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The unfortunate part is that this is going to be a terrible hurricane season. 2020 is the year that just keeps on giving. I think a lot of people will just skip 2020 and go straight to 2021...lol

I hope it is not as bad as predicted. Fingers crossed.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AGBF, I am really hoping you get turned back on soon. I believe you are in Eversource territory, at first they said Sunday and now they are hoping to get 99% of customers restored by Tuesday.

UI has much fewer customers out, they anticipated the scope of this storm more more accurately than Eversource, Eversource was ill-prepared, did not have enough crews on stand-by and of course it's the customers who suffer.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AGBF, I am really hoping you get turned back on soon. I believe you are in Eversource territory, at first they said Sunday and now they are hoping to get 99% of customers restored by Tuesday.

UI has much fewer customers out, they anticipated the scope of this storm more more accurately than Eversource, Eversource was ill-prepared, did not have enough crews on stand-by and of course it's the customers who suffer.

I am glad you got your power back relatively quickly @YadaYadaYada. I just heard that Connecticut has the most number of people still without power (around 300K or so), NJ next at 250K and the 5 Boroughs of NYC at about 50K and then Upstate NY at tens of thousands. What a sh** show. I mean in this day and age to keep people without power for so long. Elderly people, sick people, people who rely on power. Some won't get it back til Tuesday night. That is a full 7 days from when they lost it. :(

@AGBF and @Slick1 and anyone else still without power I am keeping you in my thoughts and sending power restoration vibes your way. I really hope it comes on today for all of you!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

From your mouth to you know who's ears...please let's all just skip the rest of 2020 and magically be transported to a peaceful and healthy 2021 for all.

Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 5.09.50 PM.png

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Still no power here. The generator is great but I seriously miss my washer and dryer. I don't mind hand washing lingerie, but I am not about to hand wash towels and sheets, nor blue jeans. I have not investigated whether there is a laundromat open near me because I only knew of one and with all the power outages here I figure that either it has no power or it is mobbed with other people like me who have no power. :)) Supposedly everyone will have power back by Tuesday night.

PS-Congratulations, @Slick1.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Still no power here. The generator is great but I seriously miss my washer and dryer. I don't mind hand washing lingerie, but I am not about to hand wash towels and sheets, nor blue jeans. I have not investigated whether there is a laundromat open near me because I only knew of one and with all the power outages here I figure that either it has no power or it is mobbed with other people like me who have no power. :)) Supposedly everyone will have power back by Tuesday night.

PS-Congratulations, @Slick1.

Agreed, generator power can only go so far, which is why I had to get one big enough that I could pick and choose what to turn on and off. Mine is big enough to (thankfully) run a washer but I have to turn off everything but the AC and the refrigerator to have the juice to do it.

Lots of prayer that you're gonna get some power restored earlier than Tuesday! One of my neighbors is up that way restoring power. I don't know what state unfortunately will have to ask his GF.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just got an automated phone message saying that based on new information my power should be restored no later than 6 PM on August 11. It is Saturday the 8 now, so that makes it Tuesday night....We'll see.n

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just got an automated phone message saying that based on new information my power should be restored no later than 6 PM on August 11. It is Saturday the 8 now, so that makes it Tuesday night....We'll see.n

Oh My goodness, that is awful!! Unbelievable.. We were in your neck of the woods today and I was surprised to hear the generators still. We saw many out of state power trucks. Dust for restoration!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results