shape
carat
color
clarity

Storing Yellow Gold

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband and I are renewing our wedding vows in July 2010. If I buy his 14k Yellow Gold wedding ring now how should I store it so it won''t tarnish? Is it unlikely to tarnish in that time if I keep it in its box from the jeweller?

Thank you
1.gif

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not sure there is a certain way to store it, I have my father in laws gold band from the 50''s in my regular jewerly box and he hasnt wore it in 27 years and it isnt tarnished at all.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
I''d wrap it in acid-free tissue paper to make doubly sure, but it''s unlikely to tarnish in 15 months anyway

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you both for the replies. I never normally store jewellery.. just wear it!
9.gif

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t think anything 14kt or higher will tarnish.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just "wrap" it in a soft cotton cloth to prevent scatches. I doubt it''ll tarnish in a short amount of time, especially when unworn.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
14k yellow gold tarnishes??
33.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't quite call it tarnish. I have 22 kt gold jewellery that get sort of dark/blackish after wearing it for many years; I only notice it when the chain is all jumbled up in my hand. My jeweller puts it under the flame and viola, it's gone - it becomes buttery yellow again. I would guess it's the fine scratches and scuffs that make it appear "tarnished".

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 7:06:54 PM
Author: AprilBaby
I don''t think anything 14kt or higher will tarnish.
Storing metals long term can be tricky sometimes.You can store the ring short term without problem if its not stored with metals that contain copper alloys or in areas with alot of moisture.EXAMPLE...Dont store gold alloyed items with sterling jewelry or coins or copper jewelry....This is one reason bank boxes are not the best places to store both karat gold jewelry and silver items TOGETHER for long...youy may see red or brown colored staining on gold items after a long period of storing.Also...be careful not to handle gold or silver with hands that are moist or have lotions or makeup on fingertips before storing...this will create red or black staining over time!JM

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH and I bought our 14K YG wedding bands 18 months before our wedding and we just stored them in their ring boxes. We did not have any problems at all.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
jewelerman, is there any way to get the red/black stain off, once it appears? I think I''ve got that on a pair of earrings.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a jar of jewellery polish that I use with a cotton cloth occasionally. The cloth ends up with black streaks after I''m done. In Asia, I''ve seen them heat it under an open flame to get rid of the stain.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/21/2009 11:22:12 AM
Author: LaraOnline
jewelerman, is there any way to get the red/black stain off, once it appears? I think I've got that on a pair of earrings.
I am not jeweleman, lol, but I have a pair of peal earrings that the posts does this on, I have a polishing cloth that I bought at the store and I used on them and it all came off....

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
do you think that sometimes a poor alloy will stain more readily?

I have polished them in the past, but the stain has returned...

These earrings are 9k
(yes! The overwhelming mainstream standard in Australian gold jewellery, believe it or not!!
20.gif
)
and I am wondering if these particular earrings have stained because the alloy was ''off'' in comparison with other 9k pieces they are stored with, that have not stained...

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
9k is definitely more likely to tarnish - it''s less than 40% gold, the rest being silver, copper (and possibly other metals) that can tarnish.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
So how about if I keep getting my ring out and wearing it around the house?
31.gif
Just to stop it tarnishing of course lol!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/21/2009 5:59:29 PM
Author: Maisie
31.gif
Maisie that makes perfect sense to me
2.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2009 11:22:12 AM
jewelerman, is there any way to get the red/black stain off, once it appears? I think I''ve got that on a pair of earrings.
A polishing cloth should remove the staining on 9ct(also 10kt.)It seems logical that the stain returns because the acid from skin may start the chemical reaction in low carat gold that may have had poor alloying to begin with.JM

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2009 2:56:10 PM
Author: oldmancoyote
9k is definitely more likely to tarnish - it''s less than 40% gold, the rest being silver, copper (and possibly other metals) that can tarnish.

I am really hoping that the increasingly global marketplace will force Australian jewellery sellers to increase general quality for fashion pieces...

I have made a promise with myself (since discovering PS a year ago) never to ''settle'' and buy 9k Australian gold again!

As a market, Australians really love the cheap stuff, it seems! Or maybe it''s just me, out in the country? Or maybe it''s the trade-off consumers make for the relatively high labour and other costs associated with doing business in this country?

Engagement / wedding rings are easily available to buy in 18k, in all stores.
But general fashion pieces, which in other countries would be sold in at least 14k...
20.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2009 9:43:01 PM
Author: diamondrnglover

Date: 3/21/2009 5:59:29 PM
Author: Maisie
31.gif
Maisie that makes perfect sense to me
2.gif
36.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/22/2009 12:23:27 AM
Date: 3/21/2009 2:56:10 PM

Author: oldmancoyote

I am really hoping that the increasingly global marketplace will force Australian jewellery sellers to increase general quality for fashion pieces...

I have made a promise with myself (since discovering PS a year ago) never to ''settle'' and buy 9k Australian gold again!

As a market, Australians really love the cheap stuff, it seems! Or maybe it''s just me, out in the country? Or maybe it''s the trade-off consumers make for the relatively high labour and other costs associated with doing business in this country?

Engagement / wedding rings are easily available to buy in 18k, in all stores.

But general fashion pieces, which in other countries would be sold in at least 14k...
20.gif

It seems like the UK buys a lot of 9K fashion pieces too. In the US there is 10K, which is fairly common in chain stores for fashion pieces. I think in the UK only 9K or 18K is easily available. In the US it''s 10, 14, and 18K which gives a bit more choice.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2009 1:28:34 PM
Author: Addy

It seems like the UK buys a lot of 9K fashion pieces too. In the US there is 10K, which is fairly common in chain stores for fashion pieces. I think in the UK only 9K or 18K is easily available. In the US it''s 10, 14, and 18K which gives a bit more choice.

Yep, my wedding ring is 9ct yellow gold. I will be replacing it with 14k. Mind you, I can''t see the difference in colour between the two.

flowerladytoo

Shiny_Rock
This is interesting and timely for me. I have a 14k, thin, delicate ring guard I used to wear with my solitaire engagement ring. I took it off after having my children, because my fingers got larger, plus it caught on things when trying to do stuff around the house. It''s been in my jewelry box for probably 23 years, unworn. It isn''t tarnished, per se...but it has turned more of a coppery color compared to the other yellow gold I have in there. I was going to give it to my daughter, but thought I would take it to a jeweler and have it polished first. It actually looks more like rose gold now, than yellow. My original wedding band is in there with it and has not done that..but it''s only been stored about 9 months. We got new wedding rings in time for our 25th anniversary, last summer. I wonder if my ring guard just has more copper in it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results