shape
carat
color
clarity

Storing Gems

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
What is the best way to store loose gems? Also does anyone know where to get the little boxes (I don''t know the technical term/correct name) that gems are stored in?

thanks

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Sorry I should''ve been more clear. I just mean the plastic/acrylic boxes with the foam inside to safely store gems in.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ebay. There are tons of them and very cheap. You can buy a case that comes with the gem boxes in them.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Don''t use those plastic boxes with the foam. After a few times of opening them up, the tops tend to pop off. The lids, since the are plastic get all scratched up. The white boxes with glass lids are much better, and not much more money. I think I pay around $0.30 each. I buy them from Rio Grande in packs of 30.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2009 5:38:22 PM
Author: PrecisionGem
Don''t use those plastic boxes with the foam. After a few times of opening them up, the tops tend to pop off. The lids, since the are plastic get all scratched up. The white boxes with glass lids are much better, and not much more money. I think I pay around $0.30 each. I buy them from Rio Grande in packs of 30.
Ditto. Glass tops for definite... I get mine on ebay as well.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
What are some good sellers on ebay (that can ship to Canada) that sell the glass top boxes for a good price? Also I''ve seen that velvet pouches can be used. Are velvet pouches a good choice?

Thanks

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I like the glass tops - you can see the stones!

I have never seen a gem dealer use velvet bags. The ones that don''t use gem boxes generally use cotton on paper. There is a specific way of folding the paper around the cotton so that the stones can''t slip out nor does the "envelope" open by itself.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Those are called "gem papers", they come already folder and creased. The nice thing about gem papers is they are cheap, you can store a lot of stones in a small space, you see the stone without looking through glass. The downside is you need to open them to see the stone, and the stone can fall out, the stones are usually laying on their sides, so you have to kind of shift them around to see them face up.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
I asked this same question a few months ago of Peter. He told me where to obtain the glass boxes, and advised caution with opening them; avoid pushing down on the glass to open the box. The glass can push out and has sharp edges. He said he glues them in as a precaution.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/21/2009 7:20:50 PM
Those are called ''gem papers'', they come already folder and creased. The nice thing about gem papers is they are cheap, you can store a lot of stones in a small space, you see the stone without looking through glass. The downside is you need to open them to see the stone, and the stone can fall out, the stones are usually laying on their sides, so you have to kind of shift them around to see them face up.
Pre-creased? You are a fancy guy! Just kidding, but most gem dealers I know down here fold their own, often with whatever paper is around.

When using these, a good tip I''ve picked up is to wrap some cotton padding in cling film. The stones adhere nicely to the film and will stay in place most of the time. Works great for cabs, so-so for facetted.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
These gem papers are $14 per 100. Pre folded double paper. One thicker sheet, and one very thin.

gempaper366.jpg

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I was able to get these same glass-topped jars at Intergem at the Jemco booth. I think they were about the same price/piece, but you could get them in quantities of 6. I think you can even purchase them individually at the Jemco website, but the site seems to be down right now - I think they''re in the process of switching servers.

I wish you could get the creased padding in a glass top gem jar; I''ve only seen those kinds of inserts in acrylic jars. The crease seems to hold deep stones better, and keeps them face-up.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lay the lid upside down on the table. Place the stone table down on the glass, then place the bottom on. This way you can get the stone right were you want it, and the table will be flat to the glass.

Be careful when opening these jars. I use either a dime, or the back side of my tweezer and put it in the little slot on the side and twist, while holding the jar down on the table. If you try to just pull them a part, the stone will go flying out, and could get chipped. I had this happen at a jeweler one time, he pulled open a jar of mine with a large stone, and it landed on the glass counter top... took a big chip out on the girdle. Of course then he didn''t want to buy it.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/21/2009 9:22:09 PM
These white glass topped jars are $14 for a pack of 30

Wow thanks everyone for your help. I''ve contacted the websites suggested and I''m waiting on a reply. Who sells these jars (the $14 for 30 ones)?

Thanks

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, I find it so much easier to put the gem upside down on the lid, then close the case in an upside down position. This way, the gem stays put and is exactly where I want it placed (either right in the center or in a corner if it has a roommate).

Gene,
What do you think of those fancy black case with the locking lid? Those generally seem larger but I wonder how long does the locking clasp last. I was given one on my last purchase and is my first experience with it.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do that as well Chrono!

Can I just add that I understand why people who get their gemstones out a lot would prefer the glass topped boxes but (a) they''re a pain to open and (b) I personally haven''t had any issues with the acrylic jars and (c) they come in a larger box with a see through top so everything is doubly protected.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Chrono, I saw that black box on one of your posts. Those look very nice, especially for the more expensive stones. I use a suede box wth a velcro top for the more expensive stones. These are around $10 each. More for a collector, it doesn''t make much sense to put the stone in a $10 just to get it then mounted.

There is another type of box that can hole 24 or 30 stones. Not glass cover, but separate compartments for each stone that are V shaped. These hold all the stones facing up, and the cover is a velcro cover. Nice way to display your stones, and you see them well since they are not covered.

Check Rio Grande or Kassoy for any of these containers.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Gene. The last one sounds good since I don''t plan to set all my stones.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results