shape
carat
color
clarity

STOP TALKING ON YOUR CELLPHONE WHILE YOU ORDER YOUR FOOD!!!

• Thread starter Deactivated member 42515
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
D

Deactivated member 42515

''soright!
31.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock
I can assure you, my boss would much rather us NOT call in at all, than call in and try to be part of a serious converstaion/meeting between 10 people, while sitting in a loud fast food restaurant. Our sales guy constantly calls in from his car and all you can hear is road noise. He never mutes his phone... it is infuriating to everyone.

Don''t get me wrong, I attend conference calls on my days off, however, I also plan my day accordingly so that I am in our home office or somewhere just as quiet when I am on these calls.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Yeah we have some people who call in from their cars too which is kind of hard to hear...my boss drives a clanky old jeep so just imagine that
20.gif

usually when i go grab food during the day i go when there''s not many customers, i dunno, i eat at weird times of day, i think i''ve only called in once from a fast food place and maybe 5 times overall, one being in my car :-\

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/17/2009 4:32:57 PM
Author: YayTacori
ummm anyway...
ohh, sorry...

Yes, your customers were completely out of line. What JERKS! Better?
20.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
People like that are ridiculously rude. I think it''s a product of our ME ME ME culture. "I''m on MY phone call and I''m way more important than the stupid waitress/clerk. They''re here to serve ME."

I would never talk on my phone in a restaurant, and I get off the phone whenever I''m checking out at the grocery store/Target/convenience store/etc. It''s extremely disrespectful to completely ignore someone ringing you up. And if someone ever SHUSHED me I don''t even know what I''d say to them...but it wouldn''t be nice!

D

Deactivated member 42515

Date: 12/17/2009 4:39:31 PM
Author: meresal

ummm anyway...
ohh, sorry...

20.gif
haha i didnt post that cuz i felt thread jack. I wanted the arguing to end! hahaha i dont care if we get off track! hahaha its fun!

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/17/2009 4:43:10 PM

ummm anyway...
ohh, sorry...

20.gif
haha i didnt post that cuz i felt thread jack. I wanted the arguing to end! hahaha i dont care if we get off track! hahaha its fun!
Got it.

No arguing here. Smurfy and I have been around here a long time. We work in two compeltely different fields of work. It is to be expected that our bosses will expect different things.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/17/2009 4:44:20 PM
Date: 12/17/2009 4:43:10 PM

ummm anyway...
ohh, sorry...

20.gif

Got it.

No arguing here. Smurfy and I have been around here a long time. We work in two compeltely different fields of work. It is to be expected that our bosses will expect different things.

touche
2.gif

D

Deactivated member 42515

omg... christian louboutin??

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/17/2009 4:50:17 PM
omg... christian louboutin??

wait...what? whose that? lol

D

Deactivated member 42515

oh my god! he is the god of all shoe designers! he is infamous for the red sole! I wish i could have EVERY SINGLE ONE of his shoes. i just noticed that meresal''s picture has red soles.....

D

Deactivated member 42515

i threadjacked my own thread... but oh well

ChristianLouboutin-Anemone-BlackBow.jpg

D

Deactivated member 42515

sigh... so beautiful

Christian-Louboutin-shoes-Declic.gif

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/17/2009 4:39:41 PM
Author: thing2of2
People like that are ridiculously rude. I think it''s a product of our ME ME ME culture. ''I''m on MY phone call and I''m way more important than the stupid waitress/clerk. They''re here to serve ME.''

I would never talk on my phone in a restaurant, and I get off the phone whenever I''m checking out at the grocery store/Target/convenience store/etc. It''s extremely disrespectful to completely ignore someone ringing you up. And if someone ever SHUSHED me I don''t even know what I''d say to them...but it wouldn''t be nice!
Big fat ditto. If you''re being helped, the only person you should be paying attention to is the person serving you. If you''re on a big important call, leave! Simple as that. People have no common sense sometimes.
20.gif

I was shushed once as a cashier. I moved on to the next person.
2.gif

And Smurfy, someone swearing up a storm in public does not constitute as jolly...

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s rude, plain and simple. So agree with you 100%!! I had a friend who would take calls during our lunches together. Like seriously??? Ok if it''s an emergency.... But she would chat away, while I am looking at her thinking, who does this....?

Too bad restaurants and movie theaters can''t say NO CELL Phones allowed!!!!

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/17/2009 5:04:17 PM
Author: sunnyd

People like that are ridiculously rude. I think it''s a product of our ME ME ME culture. ''I''m on MY phone call and I''m way more important than the stupid waitress/clerk. They''re here to serve ME.''

Big fat ditto. If you''re being helped, the only person you should be paying attention to is the person serving you. If you''re on a big important call, leave! Simple as that. People have no common sense sometimes.
20.gif

2.gif

And Smurfy, someone swearing up a storm in public does not constitute as jolly...
oh I know that, I was referring to the singing and being a bit noisier.

D

Deactivated member 42515

yea the swearing was really bad. They werent quiet about it either. they were really loud and actually emphasizing the swear words. and not just swearing, talking about killing this guy and shooting him and his wh***. so ummm yea... dunno what to do about it... what if he kills me... haha

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/17/2009 5:06:50 PM
Author: Smurfyimproved

Date: 12/17/2009 5:04:17 PM
Author: sunnyd

20.gif

2.gif

oh I know that, I was referring to the singing and being a bit noisier.
Still rude, IMO. If people feel like they need to sing at dinner, stay home. Don''t ruin everyone else''s meal that they''re paying for.

aliceinwonderland

Shiny_Rock
I agree that it is completely RUDE to shush ppl while you are on the phone....and I have a personal loathing of bluetooth headsets outside of cars. But I do think that there are situations where it is appropriate to take calls during dinner (even outside of fast food scenarios). My partner has young children and sometimes while we are on vacation they call while we are at dinner. He always politely excuses himself and takes the call...otherwise he would not get to talk to them at all that day. That seems reasonable.

And also sometimes people need to be accesible for work. I used to be a supply teacher and the call out times were in the evenings. If you didn't answer the phone you quite simply did not get booked for work, they don't leave messages and they don't call back. I think it's appropriate in certain circumstances to answer your phone as long as you are respectful to others and don't answer the phone just to 'chat'.

Sort of a tangent lol!
:) Alice

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/17/2009 3:47:14 PM
Author: elledizzy5
It bothers the crap out of me when people are that inconsiderate.

Never shush another human being. At the very least, interrupt and say ''I''m sorry, this is really important.'' Shushing is rude, and to be shushsed by another human being would infuriate me.

If you need to take a call, step away from the line/table/whatever. You can talk and walk at the same time.

If I received an emergency call, I''d answer, and immediately start walking to somewhere quiet and out of the way.
Ditto every word, elle!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
People like that are ridiculously rude. I think it's a product of our ME ME ME culture. 'I'm on MY phone call and I'm way more important than the stupid waitress/clerk. They're here to serve ME.'

I would never talk on my phone in a restaurant, and I get off the phone whenever I'm checking out at the grocery store/Target/convenience store/etc. It's extremely disrespectful to completely ignore someone ringing you up. And if someone ever SHUSHED me I don't even know what I'd say to them...but it wouldn't be nice!
Ditto to that! This world would be so much nicer if people just gave 2 seconds of thought to how someone else feels instead of everything being ME ME ME! And the thing is, most people can't really talk back if someone shushes them b/c they fear they might lose their job if they say something.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/17/2009 5:54:59 PM
Author: steph72276

Ditto to that! This world would be so much nicer if people just gave 2 seconds of thought to how someone else feels instead of everything being ME ME ME! And the thing is, most people can''t really talk back if someone shushes them b/c they fear they might lose their job if they say something.

Very true...because of course the customer is always right! I think that motto has filled America with RUDE customers.

One of the perks of working at an independently-owned business at my last job was that the owners knew that customers weren''t always right. In fact, they''re usually wrong. And if a customer was rude/dishonest/stealing/etc. the employees could refuse to help them or even ban them from the store. It didn''t happen often, but when it did it felt so good to have the owner backing you up instead of bending over backwards and throwing you under the bus to keep from losing a customer.

D

Deactivated member 42515

Date: 12/17/2009 7:45:04 PM

Date: 12/17/2009 5:54:59 PM
Author: steph72276

Ditto to that! This world would be so much nicer if people just gave 2 seconds of thought to how someone else feels instead of everything being ME ME ME! And the thing is, most people can''t really talk back if someone shushes them b/c they fear they might lose their job if they say something.

Very true...because of course the customer is always right! I think that motto has filled America with RUDE customers.

One of the perks of working at an independently-owned business at my last job was that the owners knew that customers weren''t always right. In fact, they''re usually wrong. And if a customer was rude/dishonest/stealing/etc. the employees could refuse to help them or even ban them from the store. It didn''t happen often, but when it did it felt so good to have the owner backing you up instead of bending over backwards and throwing you under the bus to keep from losing a customer.

yup, it is nice working for a family owned restaurant (my family
31.gif
) because we know the customer is not always right. I hated working for a corporate owned restaurant. We have had to tell a couple of people to never come back and its great! haha

and sometimes, people say themselves that they will never come back and make a HUGE deal and then come back and act like nothing happened. funny. maybe they think we dont remember. WE DO
11.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Can I add one to the list, that I just experienced???

Girl was talking on her speakerphone the ENTIRE time she was getting her hair done... even during the SHAMPOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D

Deactivated member 42515

how the f***ing hellO do you do that???? That is soooo annoying!!! im trying to imagine it and it just looks totally stupid. getting ur hair done is a relaxing, enjoying, gossiping time. shes ruining it for everyone else too!

meresal

Ideal_Rock
While in the shampoo chair, I know this because they put her next to me, her head was tilted back and she was holding her Iphone about 6 inches in front of her throat the whole time.

While in the style chair I assume it was in her lap or being held in front of her face... she was on the other side of the wall, so I could not see her... but she was most definitely still audible.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think this is really about basic decency and manners, and in my opinion, people who answer their phone and *remain seated* at the table (be it in a McDonald's or a Morton's) are just plain rude.

If you are expecting an important or emergency phone call, from work or from home, request a seat near the loo or the entrance so you can slip away when you feel your phone vibrate.* (*Because of course, you would never keep the ringer on in public, would you? Tsk tsk.)

The idea of sitting at a table talking on a cell phone is really astonishing to me. And frankly, I imagine that most of us have been on the receiving end of a very important phone call while out in public, and if you are a polite person, there is always an option to both take the call, and excuse yourself from the table.

My own grandmother was very ill for a long, long time, and my uncle and I were the primary decision makers regarding her care. That meant that I had to be reachable by her hospital/doctors/caretakers/etc. all day, so I made adjustments to make that happen without being incredibly rude about it. During teaching hours all of her contacts had to reach me through the front desk of my school, and in the evenings I kept my phone on vibrate and in a pocket. Of course, you don't feel much like going out for a meal when a loved one is dying, but there were times that life did go on and I did find myself out and in company, and although I feared that every time my phone vibrated it would be the dreaded call, I still managed to get myself away from the table whenever it did vibrate.

It really isn't all that difficult to be considerate. You just have to realize that the entire world does not revolve around you, nor does it care about what is going on in your life, so it shouldn't be treated to a play-by-play of your phone conversations. Among other things, of course.
2.gif

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. No one should face being "shushed" at work. That is unacceptable. I''d probably end up assaulting the person, but then I''m much older and onery.
2. Text people, text! Honestly I see more people texting than talking these days. It is an acceptable way to do business too. Just ask my DH who gets around 340 work related texts a day, 7 days a week, 24 hours a day....
3. We the people don''t want to hear your telephone conversations regardless of what you are talking about, we really don''t. Be considerate, lower your voice, take it outside, switch to texting, keep it brief, whatever.

The invention and pervasiveness of the cellphone is both a wonderful thing and a terrible thing. I think we have far less personal space/privacy nowadays, and those are important things to me. YMMV of course.
41.gif

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
YayTacori - i''m an assistant manager at a sports bar, and i completely understand where you''re coming from! it''s a shame that some people just don''t understand common courtesy.

at my place, we get a good mix of customers ranging from college kids, blue collar workers, business execs, etc... since i work during the lunch & happy hour shifts, i try to get things done fast since most customers are understandably on a time crunch. i find it disrespectful to me, and unfair to the other customers who are waiting to place an order because one person needs to finish their unimportant phone conversation. whenever this happens to me, i just politely tell them "i''ll come back in a few" or "let me know when you''re ready". sometimes they''ll then say that they''re ready and then continue to ignore me with their phone call. at that point, i just walk away.

now we''re not a fine dining establishment and the place can get pretty noisy, so cell phone conversations do happen but thankfully, most people will talk while either eating/drinking or excuse themselves. honestly though, cell phone "shush-ers" are just the tip of the iceberg as far rude customers go. i''m sure the both of us (as well as others) could have endless conversations about that!
9.gif

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Can I just say that I personally think the customer is always right thing is total BS. I think EVERYONE should either work retail or fast food once in their life to see how these individuals are treated. Just a few things other than cell phone usage that bugs me:

1. Don''t let little Johnny run around the establishment while you''re talking on your cell phone.

2. Don''t get mad at associate/cashier when something is rung up incorrectly because you feel like you''re too self important to get off the freaking phone!

3. Don''t bitch at the associate because they use telecheck.

4. And the most important, put your money or credit card in the associate''s HANDS. Don''t push or throw the money on the counter. OMG, that makes me so freaking livid!

Off my soapbox now.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results