shape
carat
color
clarity

Stones without settings

happybear

Shiny_Rock
I've NEVER bought any CS with a setting in mind so far. It's always 'Ooh, that looks nice! Not too expensive too. Click Buy :tongue: )
That said, I just started this hobby (DH says it's more like an obsession!) all my CS have been relatively inexpensive. I know I should hold out the buying binge and save up to get a really drop-dead gorgeous colored stone and set some of those I already have.....
I really should stop browsing!!! :nono:

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
I personally love stones unset. On their own. I find very little in the way of jewelry that improves on a stone already in its natural form. But of course, that isn't a practical use for a stone. Still... if I bought any CS, they would just sit there unset and enjoyed for what they were.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep I have some that I would like to get set, but I bought them without any intentions of setting them....not sure I will keep them, but havent decided what I am going to do with them yet.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
happybear|1314595099|3004261 said:
I've NEVER bought any CS with a setting in mind so far. It's always 'Ooh, that looks nice! Not too expensive too. Click Buy :tongue: )
That said, I just started this hobby (DH says it's more like an obsession!) all my CS have been relatively inexpensive. I know I should hold out the buying binge and save up to get a really drop-dead gorgeous colored stone and set some of those I already have.....
I really should stop browsing!!! :nono:

You sound a lot like me. I do the same thing! I do, on occasion, buy more expensive gems but I tend to react to a pretty stone/good price more than going out on the hunt for one particular stone, contacting vendors, etc.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely in the camp of buying without any intention of setting them. Or perhaps, I've been too busy buying instead of hunkering down with thinking up a setting design. :devil:

I've always been in the diamond and coloured stone camp but find myself getting further away from the diamond camp over the years.

kt

Shiny_Rock
Actually, now that i'm thinking about it, I also do this: I find a setting or design I really love and then go about trying to find a stone to go into it. Like a vintage-looking DanielM setting I saw - it was originally set with a diamond, but I really want it with a CS so i've been looking around for some sort of antique or cushion cut CS in a soft pink/lavender/purple to have DanielM make it for me. So, I guess i'm a bit all over the place when it comes to CS cuz the possibilities are so endless! :bigsmile:

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
There is absolutely no way that I'll ever be able to set all of my stones. Oy, on to filling box #2. I can't stop buying them and with the price of gold...I'll just keep buying stones. I've never bought a stone with anything further than 'OMG look at that, I NEED IT!' :twisted: Then I start thinking of what I could do with it but those hardly ever come to fruition. :???:

happybear

Shiny_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1314618665|3004355 said:
You sound a lot like me. I do the same thing! I do, on occasion, buy more expensive gems but I tend to react to a pretty stone/good price more than going out on the hunt for one particular stone, contacting vendors, etc.

I hope one day my collection will be as pretty as yours! :love:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I started in CS. Looking for my ering stone. I found PS looking for the Tiffany Swing ring (one band, not three), but never really did diamonds.

My 20th ering ended up being a diamond, but it was bought from a pawn shop...and I have not posted about it anywhere really, except one post here in CS.

CS girl, through and through.

Oh and I have a ton of unset stones. One day I'll set them all...or at least some of them!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
People set gemstones?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1314749219|3005847 said:
People set gemstones?
:lol: BEST POST ON THIS BOARD EVER!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
This is interesting to me because I'm completely the opposite. I almost never buy a stone without a setting in mind, or at least a setting that comes to mind immediately after I buy it. It's extremely rare for me to let a stone sit for a few months without setting it.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild|1314748448|3005835 said:
I started in CS. Looking for my ering stone. I found PS looking for the Tiffany Swing ring (one band, not three), but never really did diamonds.

My 20th ering ended up being a diamond, but it was bought from a pawn shop...and I have not posted about it anywhere really, except one post here in CS.

CS girl, through and through.

Oh and I have a ton of unset stones. One day I'll set them all...or at least some of them!

Freke you're my hero!!! I love your stones and just about everything you have posted!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i have no idea of how i will set my collection of color stones but i'm not really concerned about it. i did promise to have a small champagne diamond set in mokume gane for my husband, though........and its still sitting in its little box.

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
I only buy CS with the intention of setting them, although I don't always have a particular setting in mind. That said, I have a few sitting around that I've changed my mind about setting so I really should try to sell them. Or maybe give them to DD to play with. Or sit them in a little dish or something (they're inexpensive stones).

ETA - As for diamonds: I like those, too. But most of them are out of my budget right now, and I'd rather feed my CS addiction at the moment. But man, I want a pair of nice studs (to fill my main holes while a gifted pair from my grandmother fill the other) and an OMC or OEC perhaps as a pendant. I don't need another diamond ring. I love my e-ring too much. Well, maybe a diamond stacking band. :Up_to_something:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results