shape
carat
color
clarity

Stones without settings

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
How many of you are willing to admit to buying colored stones, just because they've entranced you, without any idea or intention of setting them?

I think of Colored Stones as quite a different beast than Rocky Talk where the diamonds are acquired with the specific intention of setting them in a specific manner (most often as engagement or anniversary ring).

Did you start here? Or are you a convert from diamond acquisition to colored stones?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Uppy, the answers you're gonna get are going to fill this thread for sure! I think diamonds are nice, but the only ones I have are ones I've inherited; never felt a need to buy them. Colored stones on the other hand are a whole 'nother addictive story... :naughty: :naughty:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I started at CS for the purpose of finding a red stone for an anniversary ring. After reading about rubies, I decided to go for a Burmese red spinel about 2 years ago. From there, I've bought moonstones, a Welo opal, and a peach Umba sapphire. I'm now focusing on settings an sidestones for these, am finding that it this latter process takes just as long as finding the main stones.

I agree that colored stones are so addictive. I love the different colors, and other characteristics (e.g. RI, adularescence, opalescence).

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I've purchased just about all of my stones because I thought they were pretty and without a particular setting in mind.

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
Kismet|1314469162|3001759 said:
I've purchased just about all of my stones because I thought they were pretty and without a particular setting in mind.

Ditto. All of mine (apart from my ering stone) were bought coz they caught my eye and were the right price. I came up with setting ideas after I owned them. They are altogether too easy to fall in love with and buy...! :shock:

ETA: and I came and started here in CS and haven't felt much need to look at diamonds; that is, until I started considering OEC pendants and possibly diamond everyday studs for wedding jewellery. Good deals are far too easy to read about on this site... :twirl:

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Upgradable|1314468655|3001745 said:
How many of you are willing to admit to buying colored stones, just because they've entranced you, without any idea or intention of setting them?

Me!!!! :appl:

I've only purchases diamonds (main diamond, not side stones) already in a solitaire setting (1) or bought the stone and then immediately had a setting for that stone made (1) or bought the stone and went out and looked for a setting to fit the stone (1). I never even brought the diamond home (the thought never even occured to me back then) I just left the stone with the jeweler where I bought the stone.

I inherited a ring that my mom had made that actually had three of my diamonds in it (from my first marriage) that I gave to my mom years ago. One .38 diamond from my first eRing (the one that was already in a solitaire) and two are matching .25 diamonds that were originally earrings.

I plan to put the matching stones next to a hot pink sapphire I have into a three stone some day, but it will have to wait until I can afford the setting I want. Other than my current wedding band, I now only think of diamonds as accents. If I had a LOT of money to buy a diamond now, it would be a FCD!

Colored stones on the other hand are an entirely different animal for me.... addiction, collection, preocupation.... fill in the blank.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I've never wanted a diamond except as accent & have never bought one. I can appreciate them in my brain but not my heart. Since I was a little bitty kid I've been addicted to CS, pasting my face to jewelry store windows, etc. I've bought a number of stones since PS worked its magic on me, not one with any idea at the time of how I'd set it. I buy them for their own beauty & won't even care if I never get some of them set -- they still make me reeeaaaallll happy! :)) :love:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It does make me upset if I do not set them, especially after I understood how many I had, but I do buy them "just because". How can one have a setting in mind, if he/she is looking for a round sapphire and suddenly comes across a stunning trilliant? (Guess why trilliants are on my mind today? :bigsmile: )

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
I have to agree with Minou. And I've bought all almost of mine without a setting in mind (I mean, I've only set one of them, and it was for someone else...). I bought two to fill the setting my ering stone is from, but only did set one of them in it. I wish I had settings in mind, then I'd have more to wear!

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
I have definitely bought gems without a setting in mind. Sometimes they just call to you. I figure it'll give us the time to 'get to know each other' and then I can figure out what kind of setting it would like ;-)

I am a colored stones girl through and through. The only diamonds I have are the accent diamonds in my e-ring, though I wouldn't mind an august vintage round and cushion one day :wink2:

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
I have to say I that I have never bought a stone with a setting in mind :oops:
I do set a stone occasionally though..... really......

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't bought them with settings in mind either, though I do "intend" to have them all set eventually. So far, 5 are in rings, 1 is in a pendant and a few dozen are sitting in their beloved gem boxes.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since coming over to CS literally only months ago I have bought 9 gems. I have set one, waiting on the second one now. No specific plans for the others at this time, although I have ideas. I want to buy MORE =)

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diagnosis is clear, Bright Ice. Colored Stones Dependency. CSD.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
crasru|1314552896|3003636 said:
The diagnosis is clear, Bright Ice. Colored Stones Dependency. CSD.

You are SO right crasru :lol: :lol: :lol:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is what I am looking at as solution to a problem of "orphaned" (i.e. left unattended in a box) stones...

http://www.peterlees.com/productDetail.php?Piece=50

At least this setting takes care of the three of them! E.g. two spinels and a diamond, two spinels and a sapphire... two spinels... :lol:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Fun pendant, Crasru! I love pieces that can be worn in many different ways. The Mahenge heart on a reflector setting is absolutely drooly as well. Correction: It isn't a spinel, but a ruby. Still yummy, though.

I certainly buy stones I know I will never set. I used to kid myself that I would eventually set all the stones I have, but, now, I have over 100 settable stones. Yeah, no way. And when I bought a sphelaerite, I had to admit that that one was never going to be set, unfortunately.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I buy all my stones as collection stones not for setting. Some are also too soft or too rare to want to risk setting.

So far I have set my e-ring tsav, a 4ct sphene pendant with matching 2cttw earrings and that is it. I have a small ruby and blue moonstone that I'm setting for my mother.

That said, my husband was VERY brave and bought me gemstones on his own for my birthday: the stone I knew I'd ID'd wrong in my FGA practical was a brown ziron, I put brown scapolite (stone was semi-metamict so no doubling of back-facets, no spectrum, so not as stupid as it sounds). Anyway, DH went to see a gemmologist/gemdealer in London and together they found the closest matched 'pair' to make into earrings- yes, one is brown zircon, the other is brown scapolite (very pretty stone). I wore them to a party with a load of my classmates and none of them could sight ID both as they look so similar. I did tell DH I might not have forgiven him for the permanent reminder had I not passed!

Anyway, I've been enjoying wearing them and might possibly buy some stones to set as earrings rather than to go in boxes...

Diamonds... I like and wear OECs, and they are wonderful As accents but otherwise no interest. CS is the main bit of PS I visit, RT usually only if someone gives me the heads up about a UK post.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
crasru|1314554572|3003662 said:
Here is what I am looking at as solution to a problem of "orphaned" (i.e. left unattended in a box) stones...

http://www.peterlees.com/productDetail.php?Piece=50

At least this setting takes care of the three of them! E.g. two spinels and a diamond, two spinels and a sapphire... two spinels... :lol:

That's very nice and could work quite well for multiple stones of the same size. You could even have a larger one in the center or vice versa.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am seriously thinking about ordering something like it - I have two matching square small Mahenges, and it could be paired with a diamond, or a light blue sapphire, or even a bright green garnet, if it is not too dark. At least, it is an idea. He does have an interesting heart aura, and the best thing about his auras is that they hide imperfection in cutting, because there is so much color spilled on the dish, around the stone. It is always a way out if one is "stuck" with an idea because it works 90% of time.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Right now I'm eyeing a heart shaped mahenge, a scissor cut sphene, a great orange spess..... I've got to quit browsing!!!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, then say out loudly, "I am not going to browse any more today. I am going to buy only a Mahenge". Or a spessartite, for this matter. This is the advise CD counselors (seriously) give to CD patients when they have urges to use, but it works for buying as well. By saying out loud (or writing it on paper) you transfer the impulse from the limbic area (which governs emotions, OCD behaviors, pleasure centers are there, too) to the frontal lobes as which exert control. I try it sometimes. It does not always work, but recently I did not buy two tsavorites...

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Crasru, you're cracking me up!! I think I do need to consider myself a compulsive gemstone buyer. One of the problems is that it is TOO easy to sit at my computer and see all the sparklies that are available, and all I have to do is hit that little BUY button!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I went to check what you are watching, just out of my interest, and now I am repeating a mantra: "I am not watching this stone, I am not watching this stone, I have another like this one to set..." Trouble is, I have only a day NOT TO WATCH...

kt

Shiny_Rock
I am doing my darndest to be good about CS! I try not to buy any stones unless I think I will set them eventually...but dang, it's hard!!! 3 spinels coming all have plans, but I have to space them all out so it'll take some time. The latest lavender blue one Im getting from Dana at this rate is not going to be set until the holiday timeframe I think...I'm thinking if I go silver it could be sooner.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think PS changed me FROM a colored stone lover to a diamond lover as well. I haven't bought any colored stones unset, but i have many jewelry items with colored stones, which i love. I happen to now love diamonds as well :love:

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Oops, I did it again.... :tongue:

Perported to be: 3.32 Namibian Mandarin Spess

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Upgradable|1314585053|3004124 said:
Oops, I did it again.... :tongue:

Perported to be: 3.32 Namibian Mandarin Spess

From who?

Arkteia