shape
carat
color
clarity

Stones or Settings?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Okay, when you have a little pile of money set aside in your jewelry account, do you use it to mount some of the amazingly beautiful stones you already have languishing in their little jars or papers? Or are you tempted into buying more quality stones that you love and are afraid you'll never find at that quality/price again?

Have I told you before that I need a 12 step program???? :???:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely stones that I love and am afraid I’ll never find at that quality/price again. The setting will almost always be there. Umm….this might also explain why I have many stones that still need to be set so maybe I’m not the right person to ask. :bigsmile:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
stones, definitely the stones.....

MoZo

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
:errrr: I knew you guys were going to say that!!!

I've got the $$ to have my kryptonite chrysoberyl set, but I've been surfing gemsites this morning and have found some more stones that are just seducing me!! Besides, I can only wear one ring besides my wedding set, and I want to enjoy this beautiful JbEG for a while. I can't really admire pendants, and earrings.... blah.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh, dear... I would like to answer that I balance my budget out between both, but, honestly, the fine stone wins everytime.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
No doubt about it, the stones.

I guess that didn't help much, did it? :oops:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on where I am at the time. Sometimes I divide my budget (its a long story) :twirl: Granted, you can almost always find a setting, the the price raw materials used in those settings is definitely going up.

I've bought all the settings I'm going to get this year. (unless i see something I just have to have :tongue: )

Its a matter of whats the most important to you. I will probably buy one or 2 more stones this year and be done. I have a lot to set.

-A

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Chrono said:
Definitely stones that I love and am afraid I’ll never find at that quality/price again. The setting will almost always be there. Umm….this might also explain why I have many stones that still need to be set so maybe I’m not the right person to ask. :bigsmile:

But when you do set a stone, Chrono, you blow us all out of the water!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought, stones. But yesterday I found out that a couple of stones were stolen from my office. I keep cheaper stones there. Among them, sadly, Tan's chrysoberyl. I think I could have bought a better stone from him, but I did not mean it to be stolen! Also a piece of cheaper but very nice spinel from another vendor. And the problem lies with storage space in my house. I just can not keep too many stones there. Now if it were a piece of jewelry, it would be easier to call police, but with a yellow stone and a pink stone? Sorry, I am threadjacking, but it is hard to suspect people, and this is what I am now doing. I also miss my stones.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Uppy - I'd sit down with my stones, and see which one speaks to me and says, "Set me now!"

If none of them are talking to you, go ahead and purchase one that does. :tongue:

I have two stones in my personal collection that are speaking to me right now. Unfortunately, I spent my jewelry fund this summer on a couple of colored diamond half-eternity rings. :twirl:

Maybe this winter, if I get some work to build up my jewelry fund, and I don't go to another gemstone cutter round-table. Those events are fun, but hard on the jewelry budget :errrr:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I say the stones. I say that b/c I've got my stones at Michael's patiently waiting for me to finish the deposit so he can start on my ring-and I've already found another stone that I'm getting to celebrate my weight loss-but haven't started paying on yet (thankfully there are understanding people around these parts), and I've been looking for stones for 2 more projects. I can't seem to stop looking. I could've used the bit I put to start the deposit towards the other stones I want for my projects for the rest of this year and for next. Do the stones.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Focus on the setting-- there will always be a stone to buy. I should add that I do find that very difficult advice to follow (bought 3 stones last week :o ), but I do believe in it.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
I guess I'm unusual insofar as I usually only buy a stone if I'm going to set it relatively soon. To me I want the stones to be worn, not hanging out in storage. Now if it's a cheapie stone that isn't worth returning, those I just hold on to (though I can only really think of one) or if I buy a parcel, I'll set a couple and hold on to the rest for a project. But as for the rest, I buy gems to be worn so I don't get too far ahead of myself in terms of buying before setting. If it's an amazing deal though, I can definitely understand a purchase.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no crasu! Sorry about your stolen gems.

Personally I go with stones. If I need to wear it ASAP I can always set it in a "temp" setting for cheaply and upgrade in the future.
I'm actually surprisingly good about setting most stones I buy, but I do still have some loose and hanging out.

Right now I"m super super tempted by a stone that's been listed for awhile. I told myself if I can lose 20 pounds, I buy it as a reward. Luckily for me (or unluckily), it's doubtful I"ll reach that goal any time soon! Hehe.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends,
If I have a stone I really really REALLY want to set, then the setting. If I am not aching to set a particular stone, then the stone. The reason I buy LOGR's is because I really rather have the $$$ for the stones, because to me, they are the more important part of the final piece of jewelry.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Depends if I find a stone while I have that pile left or not. Right now I'm ok with putting off settings if I find an amazing stone.

It's my opinion that stones only come around once in a while, if only once in a lifetime, so settings can always be put on the backburner.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
MTG-do it! It's working for me! Poor thing will sit here for a while tho until it gets set b/c of finances..tho, maybe I can use that as an excuse to finish the rest of the pounds to lose after the initial 20?

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Chrono said:

Ditto. There was this Gene Flanigan min garnet I lusted after 2+ yrs ago and it was like $700 or $900 so I didn't get it, but STILL thought about it all the time and wish I had it. Recently he had a cleaner stone in the same cut, color and size for some reason it was only $340 so I had to seize it, so that was lucky but it doesn't always happen. If you know you'll be thinking about it later, get that elusive stone at a great price. My rational is the material is finite so if you think it's only getting tougher to find, get it now!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
crasru said:
I thought, stones. But yesterday I found out that a couple of stones were stolen from my office. I keep cheaper stones there. Among them, sadly, Tan's chrysoberyl. I think I could have bought a better stone from him, but I did not mean it to be stolen! Also a piece of cheaper but very nice spinel from another vendor. And the problem lies with storage space in my house. I just can not keep too many stones there. Now if it were a piece of jewelry, it would be easier to call police, but with a yellow stone and a pink stone? Sorry, I am threadjacking, but it is hard to suspect people, and this is what I am now doing. I also miss my stones.
Terrible! I hate to think about that happening to you. You need a safe deposit box.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Missed this thread when you started it Uppy .... it depends, but for me now days it's usually the stones... When I first started collecting I only bought stones that I planned on setting in the near future, but now I'm more about the stones and less about the settings.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results