shape
carat
color
clarity

Stone too big?

blingy0722

Shiny_Rock
I got a 3ct (8.7 x 8.4mm) cushion brilliant lab stone and love the stone itself. However, I’m wondering if it looks gaudy/it seems too big for my hand. My ring size is 4.75. Does it look good to you or is it too much? I’ve been wearing it with a simple platinum band to make it less flashy, which makes me think that I should just get a smaller stone…

IMG_6313.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5822.jpeg
    IMG_5822.jpeg
    289.9 KB · Views: 71

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
I think it looks lovely on your hand. Is it new? Give it some time to get used to the size, and before long it will look “normal” size. DSS ( diamond shrinkage syndrom is real.

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly tell you that in a matter of 2-3 weeks, it might even look small to you. DSS always kicks in eventually. It has happened to me with my 2.5 ct RB diamond. When i first saw it, i though it was...enormous! Three weeks later i felt that it was actually the perfect size for me. Three months later, i already feel that i could go up to 3 ct and that the stone is a little small!!!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not think it looks too big. At. All! It looks lovely and I ditto what previous posters said about it appearing smaller with time.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think it looks too big. I agree with the other forum members to give it some time before you decide. Bigger diamonds are a thing of the future. Just a couple years ago the most popular size engagement ring diamond was 1 carat and it had been that way for years. Now I read that it is 1.2 carats. I'm pretty sure with the popularity of lab diamonds in the bridal market that we will be seeing much larger diamonds in the near future.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is no true way to answer this question. We have plenty of Pricescopers who wear 3 carats and some
who wear 4 and 5+ carats.

Too big (or gaudy) is in the eye of the beholder. Only you know whether you can get comfortable wearing it
around in your neck of the woods. We've had some PSers buy stones that were just too big for their lifestyle
and downgraded to smaller stones. It doesnt happen often, but it does happen.

FYI...I would never call a ring/carat weight gaudy here on PS. Someone's "gaudy" is someone else's "just right".

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think it looks too big at all, but it only matters what you think! I am size 4.5 and I am working on a 5.3 carat project, it's all personal preference!

blingy0722

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! Yes I’ve just had it for a few weeks so I’m getting used to it. My previous stone was much smaller (1.2 ct) so perhaps that’s also why this feels so big…

I think it looks lovely on your hand. Is it new? Give it some time to get used to the size, and before long it will look “normal” size. DSS ( diamond shrinkage syndrom is real.

blingy0722

Shiny_Rock
It does feel enormous! Perhaps in a few months I’ll feel very differently! Thank you!

I honestly tell you that in a matter of 2-3 weeks, it might even look small to you. DSS always kicks in eventually. It has happened to me with my 2.5 ct RB diamond. When i first saw it, i though it was...enormous! Three weeks later i felt that it was actually the perfect size for me. Three months later, i already feel that i could go up to 3 ct and that the stone is a little small!!!

blingy0722

Shiny_Rock
Yes l! Ha so this also won’t be big at all in comparison to others!

I don't think it looks too big. I agree with the other forum members to give it some time before you decide. Bigger diamonds are a thing of the future. Just a couple years ago the most popular size engagement ring diamond was 1 carat and it had been that way for years. Now I read that it is 1.2 carats. I'm pretty sure with the popularity of lab diamonds in the bridal market that we will be seeing much larger diamonds in the near future.

blingy0722

Shiny_Rock
Great comment - thanks. The stone size is on par with others in area, I think I just feel weird about it because 3 ct sounds big to me and feels big on my small hands. I guess time will tell on if it ends up feeling right for me.

There is no true way to answer this question. We have plenty of Pricescopers who wear 3 carats and some
who wear 4 and 5+ carats.

Too big (or gaudy) is in the eye of the beholder. Only you know whether you can get comfortable wearing it
around in your neck of the woods. We've had some PSers buy stones that were just too big for their lifestyle
and downgraded to smaller stones. It doesnt happen often, but it does happen.

FYI...I would never call a ring/carat weight gaudy here on PS. Someone's "gaudy" is someone else's "just right".

blingy0722

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your comment. Maybe I should embrace the bling like you :)

I don't think it looks too big at all, but it only matters what you think! I am size 4.5 and I am working on a 5.3 carat project, it's all personal preference!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got a 3ct (8.7 x 8.4mm) cushion brilliant lab stone and love the stone itself. However, I’m wondering if it looks gaudy/it seems too big for my hand. My ring size is 4.75. Does it look good to you or is it too much? I’ve been wearing it with a simple platinum band to make it less flashy, which makes me think that I should just get a smaller stone…

IMG_6313.jpeg

it looks perfectly lovely
nothing wrong with the size
it looks really well proportioned on your hand
i would love it !

you will get used to it real quick
plus remember diamond shrinkage syndrome is a real thing

blingy0722

Shiny_Rock
Thank you - this seems to be the consensus :)

it looks perfectly lovely
nothing wrong with the size
it looks really well proportioned on your hand
i would love it !

you will get used to it real quick
plus remember diamond shrinkage syndrome is a real thing

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Give it a bit. It's just fine for your hand. It's substantial, but the proportions work. Your eye is registering the size as new is all. Those 2mm will retract for you soon enough. It didn't ping my brain as 'too big'.

*I say this as the rarity on PS who has weird personal parameters on size. I love big stones but I can't wear big stones. I can't go above an 8-maybe 8.5mm on round, cushion etc. or 10x8 on oval, marquise etc.

blingy0722

Shiny_Rock
I really appreciate your comment! I love on others too - that’s why I went a little larger than my comfort zone with this stone to begin with. The PS pics are so aspirational! And once I got one on my hand, I wasn’t sure if it worked for me. I’m glad that you feel the proportions work and I’ll give it more time!

Give it a bit. It's just fine for your hand. It's substantial, but the proportions work. Your eye is registering the size as new is all. Those 2mm will retract for you soon enough. It didn't ping my brain as 'too big'.

*I say this as the rarity on PS who has weird personal parameters on size. I love big stones but I can't wear big stones. I can't go above an 8-maybe 8.5mm on round, cushion etc. or 10x8 on oval, marquise etc.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results