shape
carat
color
clarity

Stone Search Begins

susiesunshine

Rough_Rock
Hello!

Many moons ago this forum was so helpful to me. So I am reaching out again.

My boyfriend has begun the search for a stone and is new at all of this. I told him about pricescope and how helpful everyone is and he asked for me to post on here on his behalf.

One of his good friends has a friend who has been in the jewelry business his entire career and is retiring and so he is selling his entire inventory.

He showed my boyfriend a stone (which I will look at tomorrow). This is what the jeweler said about it:
Round Solitaire:
"A natural untreated round brilliant cut diamond. 3.09 carats measured electronically. Color J
Clarity I1
Girdle is polished and faceted
Make is excellent
Cutlet is none or closed
Faces up with brilliance because of the make of the stone."
He is charging my boyfriend 20,000 because he is clearing out his inventory.
What are your thoughts? What should I be asking tomorrow? I think my boyfriend wants to know is this an amazing deal and should he go for it or is a better deal to be found. He said that you can not see the inclusion from the face and that to him the stone looks beautiful.

The second and third stone are both round solitaires. These are diamonds sourced by a friend of his who is a diamond dealer.
3.4 carat Color: H Clarity: SI1 for 30K
3.3 carat Color I Clarity VS2 for clarity 30K

Thoughts and opinions on the above? I don't think he wants to spend more than 35K for the stone.
I would love a 3-4 carat. I am open to the shape. I have liked rounds, cushion cuts, and radiant cut stones.

Thank you SO much.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have these diamonds been graded by GIA? Or by any lab? If not, or if by a lesser lab, you really have no idea what you are looking at in terms of color or clarity so it is going to be impossible for you to determine whether or not they are a good deal.

For instance:
I found 3 ~3 ct J I1s with the pricescope diamond search, two at ~$15,500 and one at $22,000 (GIA report from 2014 on that one). So I would say NO, that is not a great deal, especially as you know nothing about the cut and you don't know whether or not it's graded by a reputable lab. If it's not graded by GIA or AGS, it's quite likely that the "J I1" it is claimed to be is incorrect and if it were graded by GIA it might be more like a K or L I2, which would mean you're getting ripped off to the tune of even more than $5k, which is already pretty bad.

3.4 carat Color: H Clarity: SI1 for 30K
3.3 carat Color I Clarity VS2 for clarity 30K
I can tell you right now from these prices that these aren't GIA graded. Nothing in the diamond search was showing up in those specs for those prices or less, mostly $10k+ from that. So they could really be anything. There's no way to tell what they are so you wouldn't know what you're actually paying for and, like the above, you're consequently probably getting ripped off.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

susiesunshine

Rough_Rock
This is so helpful!! Thank you both so much!
Yes I didn't have a good feeling which is why I suggested I share the info here.
The James Allen one looks great.

What stone(s) would you suggest in the 20-35k (ideally not more than 30k)range that are a 3carat?

Thank you so much for any suggestions!!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would inquire about this stone and see how eye clean it is and at what angle/distance. WF has great customer service and an excellent upgrade policy if you ever wanted to take advantage of that...
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3632159.htm?source=pricescope

Here are some others you'd need to ask for images and ideal scopes for:
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-8912058-3.10-carat-Round-diamond-J-color-VS1-Clarity.aspx?sku=8912058&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com
https://www.pricescope.com/diamonds/round/3_01-carat-j-color-vs1-clarity-738700 (already has very nice image and video)
https://www.pricescope.com/diamonds/round/3_23-carat-j-color-vs1-clarity-322621

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results