shape
carat
color
clarity

Stone question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bd1099

Rough_Rock
I've been looking at stones for a few weeks and have become a bit of an amateur gemologist. I think I've finally found a stone I like, but I figure a professional opinion is in order...

$2455
Round .77 ct F, SI1
GIA Cert

61.5% depth
57% table
VG symmetry
VG polish
The above constitutes what should be an ideal cut, yes?

ETN to TN girdle
This part concerns me. Would this stone be ok in a 6 prong Tiffany mounting?

Should I continue to look? The price seems pretty good/excellent.

Thanks for your help,
- Brad

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Welcome to the forum Bd1099

An extremely thin girdle can be a serious problem. I would pass on any extremely or very anything girdle. The depth seems ok but you should be able to get a sarin report on the diamond so we can see the depth breakdown and the angles.
You are getting close, keep it up.

bd1099

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your help. I went to your website and put in a request to locate a custom stone.

Your prices are quite good as well.

Thanks,
- Brad

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually ID ID or EX EX for polish and symm would be closer to an 'ideal' cut stone than VG VG though VG VG is still very good as well (ha ha).

For GIA certed stones, you would need more info such as crown and pavilion angles to find out if the stone is close to being 'ideal' or excellently cut.

Also 'ideal' is a term that is loosely used. Use the numbers to crunch them to find out for yourself if the stone is ideal rather than utilizing a vendor's idea of stone categorization to assume that it is.

WhiteFlash has many gorgeous stones. Check out also the other Pricescope vendors on the 'cut quality' search link on the homepage of Pscope. It will only search out excellently cut stones using the HCA as it's base.

Good luck!!
1.gif

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
There is no way to determine whether a diamond has ideal proportions without knowing the crown and pavilion angle measurements... You need to get a Sarin or OGI computerized proportions analysis on the diamond... Be sure to get the full version of the report and not just the little sticker that only discloses the averages of the forty measurements taken by the machine because you'll be able to make a much more informed decision if you do. With so many dealers selling diamonds with GIA Excellent or AGS Ideal polish and symmetry for such reasonable prices, why would you settle for Very Good?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 5/27/2003 10:11
6.gif
1 PM niceice wrote:
With so many dealers selling diamonds with GIA Excellent or AGS Ideal polish and symmetry for such reasonable prices, why would you settle for Very Good?
----------------

Good point, R/T!
4.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results