shape
carat
color
clarity

Stone keeps getting loose

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mikey71497

Rough_Rock
My fiance''s main stone keeps getting loose in the setting. This will be the 2nd time we have to bring it back to the jewler in about 6 months. I dont understand. The stone is set on the high side, but not too high. She takes it off at night and dosent wear it to bed, or in the shower. We just dont understand WHY it keeps getting loose. Any suggestions? We are taking it back to the jewler AGAIN on saturday morning. The last time they tightened it, they said that if they did it any more they would chip the stone. Go figure.....

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Diamond set in short prongs tend to stay tight. Diamonds set in long prongs tend to loosen.
Diamond set in thick prongs tend to stay tight. Diamonds set in thinnish prongs tend to loosen.
Diamonds worn in a sedentary life-style tend to stay tight. Diamonds worn in an active life-style tend to loosen.

These are the tendencies. You may have defective metal in the prongs, too much porosity or some other less common problem. A diamond will stay tight if it is set in reasonable length prongs and the metal is sound. You may need to have consider a different set of prongs to hold the stone better. It probably would not hurt the looks of the ring, but possibly it could make it totally durable.

The seller may feel they have done all they know how to do. Everyone of us has limits on what we feel we can accomplish. If they can't do the job, seek out a more willing, more experienced, or simply better jeweler. If all else fails, post a photo of the ring on Pricescope and seek out more distant sources of assistance.

Above all, don't loose your cool. Speak clearly and dont tell the jeweler that you are angry at him. This won't get it fixed. Hostility creates tension, distrust and an atmosphere where the jeweler will fear he cannot make you happy no matter what. Tell him instead how much you LOVE it and are so dissappointed and don't know why it loosens. Ask what possibly could be done?......This will put them in a helpful frame of mind.

mikey71497

Rough_Rock
Well, the diamond is set in nice thick prongs. Not only that, but when they fixed it the last time, they gouged the progs with whatever tool they used to make it tighter. I wont have that again. When they tighten it again, if it comes back with more gouges on it, I am going to ask to have a new head put on, if they can, and re-set the stone. I paid too much money for this ring for carless stuff like that. the ring is not banged around at all really. Im sure there are times where it happens, but she is really careful with it. We still have not bought our bands yet, but i am hesitant to buy them at this place if saturday dosent go down well at all.

Another time we had those balls put on the inside of the band, cause she didnt want to size the ring. When we got the ring back, the entire band had a cloudy solution on it. We didnt notice it at the jewler, and had to go back later that day to get it polished off. Its one thing after another, and they are a pretty reputable jewler in this building.
33.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There should never be any gouges showing when the job is ready to be given back to you. When you have it done, look at it and outright reject it if it has not been made to look like new on the prongs. This sounds like sloppy workmanship or a bad attitude at best. I hope you are in an area where competitors will want to make you into their customer. Don''t give up, don''t get annoyed, just get what you are entitled to get. A ring that looks like new.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results