shape
carat
color
clarity

Stone Height in Setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

English Novice

Rough_Rock
Dear All,

I was wondering what you all think about the height of a stone in its setting. I am considering getting a fairly large pear-shape for my girlfriend''s engagement. However, I am always struck by how large diamonds often seem to be set quite high from the finger. Does this bother anyone else (females out there?).
Are there certain stones that can be set low / close to the finger?
Are there any settings for large pear shapes that would allow this?

Your help and opinions are greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

English Novice

lucy

Rough_Rock
hi
i just had my 3 carat set in a high setting with two side baguettes tapering up to it. I think if it was just the 3c by itself it might look high but with the side stones it looks good-i personally like that it's higher-makes the stone look more prominent and really draws the eye. I thought since it was so high i might be apt to bang it more on stuff but i find that since it is high i am more aware of it and more careful. i think it depends on the lifestyle-if i was more active-say a rock climber type, i would want it lower.
1.gif

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
The height of the setting is dependent on the depth of the diamond... With a larger pear shape, the setting is likely to be high on the finger, but it depends on how the cagework and design of the ring is done... This 5.76 carat pear shape sits fairly low on Robin's finger because the cagework rests on the finger and the ring is built up with accents to run down the sides and balance the ring... It also helps that the pear shape is cut a little "spreadier" than most...

goldfingers1.jpg

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Ouch! That's a serious ring! Strong blue?
1.gif

deborah

Rough_Rock
Personally, I like the high setting. Or at least medium-high. Low settings seem to be "hiding" from view.

jenntheten

Rough_Rock
I am by no means in the "big diamond class", but my 1.5 princess is set high (in my opinion) and I love it that way. After the first few days you get used to the height and I can't remember the last time I hit it on something---and my husband calls me "a bull in a china cabinet" if you know what I mean. I get compliments on the ring and SPECIFICALLY the height of it often! I think the person wearing the ring needs to be the once to decide this though----when we were shopping for settings, my then boyfriend was concerned about it, so I understand where you're coming from.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I like low-as-can-be settings, but then my tastes are rather conservative. It's really a woman's preference, so if you know she wants a pear in that size, buy it, set it in an inexpensive solitaire setting, then go with her to choose a permanent wedding set later.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 7/16/2003 3:34:26 AM Giangi wrote:

Ouch! That's a serious ring! Strong blue?

1.gif

----------------
The marquise is a 2.54 carat, D color with Distinct Blue... Good eyes... Don't read too much into the appearance of the diamonds based upon the pictures, we've yet to master the art of photographing jewelry
1.gif

jenntheten

Rough_Rock
I've asked this before and haven't seen an answer----what exactly does flourescence do the the appearance of a diamond????

English Novice

Rough_Rock
JentheTen, try looking at these :

https://www.pricescope.com/tutor_fluor.asp
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/flourescence.1288/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/flourescence-glow-in-the-dark.2702/

Boulder

Shiny_Rock
jenntheten, Also check out Jonathan's explanation on the Good Old Gold website: http://www.goodoldgold.com/fluorescence.htm
1.gif

jenntheten

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the input! You've been very helpful!
1.gif

English Novice

Rough_Rock
Rough Rock

Total Posts: 9

Thanks for all your help, everyone.

Sometimes I come across a setting that appears to have a 'hole' in the middle of the main body of the ring (see attached picture).
Am I right in assuming that this is to allow the 'bottom point' of the diamond to sit where the ring would normally be, thereby allowing a 'lower - set' diamond?

Thanks to you all,

26315.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results