shape
carat
color
clarity

Stone from necklace to ring''s center stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KYoungstarr

Rough_Rock
So, I just bought an engagement ring for my significant other. She loves aquamarines and picked out the setting (leaving me to get the stone).

I got a 6 mm princess cut stone. I thought it looked good and looked good on the stone. It is currently being put together at the shop. It''s already paid for but I am having a bit of buyer''s remorse (as I think is usual with any major purchase) So here''s my question:

Is it normal for a center stone to be taken from a different piece of jewelry? Specifically, the center stone I chose was actually taken out of a necklace that the store had. Is this normal? IS this usually not advisable? I was just curious if there was a different sort of quality expected of stones that are centerpieces as opposed to the main stone on a necklace. Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated.

For the record, I again did think it was a good looking stone but I just was a little under-prepared and bought the ring relying a little bit too much on the salesman. My future fiancee and I did a good bit of research but when the actual thing came, I still wish I had more experience. Thanks!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sure, that''s fine.

KYoungstarr

Rough_Rock
Thanks. I really decided I need to swallow my pride and try to learn from potential mistakes I made for when my future wife and I make more jewelry purchases. Thanks for your help.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
The only question you really need to ask is:

Do I like this stone?
Does it look good in my ring?
Will my FF be happy with it?

Some stones are better for necklaces etc, but this is normally because they are fragile as a type - ie tanzanite and will be in less danger of damage if not in a ring. Some cuts and sizes and possibly more suited, but you can get rings with good and bad stones and necklaces with good or bad stones.

If you are a gemstone nut like some of us, you will be obsessed with cut angles and colour saturations etc, but 99% of the population probably don''t even know to notice some of those things. The most important factor is that your FF feels that this is the stone for her - since she picked it, stop worrying and start enjoying!

If it makes you feel better - many of the stones used in the British Crown Jewels have had previous lives as different jewellery items.

PS If you want to buy pieces in future, you can always contact some of the vendors on here who can help you source your rock. They get to see way more stones than you or I can - and they know what they are looking at.

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
That should be fine. The onlt thing I would worry about (and this is anytime you go from one setting to another, not just necklace to ring, etc) is if the previous setting had been "covering up" something on the stone, such as an inclusion on the corner that was covered by a prong. But, if you have seen the stone out of the setting and/or in your new piece of jewelry and it looks great, well then you have nothing to worry about!

Congrats on your purchase.

RZ

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results