shape
carat
color
clarity

Stone for this setting

DCdiamondgirl

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

I had the diamond from my engagement ring re-set and am looking for a colored stone for the old setting. It was custom made for a 1.45 ct August Vintage cushion. Any suggestions? I'd like to spend less than $300. Thanks!

mail-1.jpeg

mail.jpeg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Do you own that spinel? I think it looks great in the setting (if it fits).

DCdiamondgirl

Shiny_Rock
No, I don't own it.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Ah, OK. Well, it would be great if you could give us an idea of what color or what type of stone you're looking for. There are so many different varieties of colored stones that it's hard to suggest one without that as a starting point.

DCdiamondgirl

Shiny_Rock
I like that pink spinel. I also like orange, green, and blue stones. I like step cuts and cushions. I just don't really know how much different stones cost.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
OK! I think at your price point, you can probably get a nice spinel, tourmaline, garnet, or quartz. Here are a few I found:

Here's a pink spinel that may work...might be too small for the setting, though:
http://gemrite.com/cubecart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=271

More oval than cushion, but might be doable:
http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=5778

Green tourmaline cushion:
http://acstones.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=243

I'm sure there are plenty more out there!

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
My two cents about getting a stone for an existing setting that was made for a diamond. Be careful that the stone you buy isn't too deep for the setting or has too thick of a girdle to fit in the prongs (I learned the hard way a couple of times).

Perhaps you could get one cut to the same dimensions as your diamond and that way you'll be sure. I'd start out with spinels because they come in so many colors and are a very "wearable" stone.

DCdiamondgirl

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the responses. Yes, I'm a bit worried the stone won't fit if I get it online. The dimensions of my diamond are 6.47mm x 6.87mm
and 4.49mm deep, but my stone has a very high crown. I like the green tourmaline, but it might be too big.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
You could buy from a vendor with a good return policy, take it in as soon as you get it, and if the jeweler says no dice, send it back.

The other thing you could do is talk to a vendor about custom cutting one to your specifications. If you choose a relatively inexpensive stone (amethyst? spessartite or pyrope garnet?), it could stay within your price range. Some of the vendors that have custom cut stones for affordable prices are Michael E, Peter Torraca (he cut my 7mm Asscher prasiolite for way below your price point), Gene Flanigan, Bob Kast...I'm sure there are more, but these come to mind as affordable for custom work.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results