shape
carat
color
clarity

Stone deeper than setting - is this quite common?

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

I have an antique ring with a centre stone that is deeper than the gallery (slightly pokes out at the bottom). It doesn't affect the way it looks and can be worn without any issues. I wondered if this might mean the stone is not original to the setting but there is no way of knowing. The species, origin and colour doesn't clash with it being antique and most of the value would be in the stone rather than the setting but just wondered anyway.

It kind of looks like this ring - you can see the stone is deeper than the setting:

Any thoughts from those more knowledgeable than me on antique jewellry appreciated, thanks.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not an expert in antiques or anything else, however, my initial hunch is that the stone and ring setting are not intended for each other.

DK :))

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think it’s common (unless in jyotish jewelry wearers) but I don’t think it’s ‘rare’ either. Seen enough listings with it apparent and some have notes to use caution with putting it on a metal mandrel.

Don’t seem to think I’d enjoy wearing because of it - but Berganza can still send me anything and I’d be thrilled. :)

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooof, many years ago (~25?) I had a local jeweler place my original diamond in a bezel ring. Welp, the culet stuck out the bottom and was very uncomfortable. Obviously, I changed it out with another jeweler later on.
@Rfisher would never have even thought about putting it on a mandrel!! :oops2:

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
I am not an expert in antiques or anything else, however, my initial hunch is that the stone and ring setting are not intended for each other.

DK :))

Yes that would seem logical but if so, you'd think it's a replacement for a lost stone. If so, in the case of the Berganza one, why would someone purchase a 2.8 carat unheated nice blue Burmese sapphire just to fit into a ring setting that in itself is not that valuable?

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t think it’s common (unless in jyotish jewelry wearers) but I don’t think it’s ‘rare’ either. Seen enough listings with it apparent and some have notes to use caution with putting it on a metal mandrel.

Don’t seem to think I’d enjoy wearing because of it - but Berganza can still send me anything and I’d be thrilled. :)

That's really good point about jyotish wearers, hadn't thought of that. To get the spiritual beneift of the stone, it has to be touching the wearer, yes?

When worn, I can't really feel anything, and yes, me too, happy to take on anything Berganza doesn't want :lol:

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
Ooof, many years ago (~25?) I had a local jeweler place my original diamond in a bezel ring. Welp, the culet stuck out the bottom and was very uncomfortable. Obviously, I changed it out with another jeweler later on.
@Rfisher would never have even thought about putting it on a mandrel!! :oops2:

Why did it stick out at the bottom? Was it badly made or was it a ready made setting into which the stone was placed?

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@JewelledEscalators it was very poorly made. He attached a bezel into a band and it was too low. Awful craftsmanship before I knew any better.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results