shape
carat
color
clarity

Stone comparison - help please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

paolm2009

Rough_Rock
Hi

I have been presented with two stone for consideration and was wondring if anyone could comment on them and as to whether they are good quality stones:

1) GIA report: 2105533947
3.58 carat

2) GIA report: 16927566
3.40 carat

Stone 2) I noted has Strong Blue Fluoresence. Should I be worried about this? I am being quoted similar prices for these stones.

thanks for your help

paolm

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2009 10:43:50 AM
Author:paolm2009
Hi

I have been presented with two stone for consideration and was wondring if anyone could comment on them and as to whether they are good quality stones:

1) GIA report: 2105533947
3.58 carat

2) GIA report: 16927566
3.40 carat

Stone 2) I noted has Strong Blue Fluoresence. Should I be worried about this? I am being quoted similar prices for these stones.

thanks for your help

paolm
I will look up the diamonds in a moment, but usually SB fluorescence is nothing to worry about, it can make the diamond look cloudy in some lights on very rare occasion but this is unusual - check with the seller to be safe though.

Ok, I definitely prefer the first diamond, can you get an ASET or Idealscope image for it please? The second is too deep for my liking and the angles are around the steep deep zone which could result in light leakage so an ASET or Idealscope would definitely be needed for this one.

paolm2009

Rough_Rock
sorry i dont know what Idealscope Image is. Where would I find it?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2009 10:50:27 AM
Author: paolm2009
sorry i dont know what Idealscope Image is. Where would I find it?
No worries, this gives a brief overview on IS. Also you can ask the vendor if he can provide an Idealscope or ASET image for the diamond, some sellers can provide these on request.

https://www.pricescope.com/idealscope_indx.asp

The IS is used to determine whether there is any light leakage in a diamond, ASET are used to judge the quality of light performance/ light return.

paolm2009

Rough_Rock
In your opinion, based on the figures provided by GIA, does the first stone appear to be well cut

I have been told that an Excellent rating from GIA on Cut is not always fully reliable.

paolm2009

Rough_Rock
This is via a store so will have to ask them to send me this.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2009 10:52:54 AM
In your opinion, based on the figures provided by GIA, does the first stone appear to be well cut

I have been told that an Excellent rating from GIA on Cut is not always fully reliable.
Yes, the first diamond is well cut from the info given. And yes, GIA Excellent cut grade is wide and can encompass less desirable angle combos such as the steep deep mentioned above.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2009 10:56:12 AM
This is via a store so will have to ask them to send me this.

Have you seen the diamond in person? If it is with a store jeweller then they may not be able to supply IS images, what I would recommend is to make any sale final ( and get this in writing) that the diamond checks out with an independant appraisal. This is a substantial purchase and would be a wise move.

Here is a tool you can use to find an appraiser in your area.

https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
#1 bc I personally don''t appreciate strong fluoresence, had a stone w/faint fluoresence, pretty stone....the violet tint [under the sun] drove me nuts! please don''t take me wrong, but if you ever decide to sell it, it would be harder, it took me months to find a buyer for mine..
2.gif

paolm2009

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all your advices. Will try and get the IS report.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2009 11:33:20 AM
Thanks for all your advices. Will try and get the IS report.
Keep us posted! If you decide to purchase then an appraisal would definitely be a good idea in view of the cost of this diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results