shape
carat
color
clarity

Stone Advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rockefellar

Rough_Rock
I have been looking for a stome the past 4 months. Here is one that I am looking at:Depth 60.7%
Table 60%
No culet
polish and symmetry both very good
no floures.
girdle-thin to medium
1.83 G VS2 GIA roundI do not have any crown or pavillion info. I have seen many different diamonds and it looks great. I don't want to overpay.
$15,700Brick and Mortar store in Chicago
Is this price too high? Is this stone close to an ideal cut diamond? Is it in the 1A or 1b group?
Any feedback would be greatly
appreciated? The Jewler is also telling me to take the stone to a gemologist and get advice from someone else. He would come with me of course. He said that I can pick the gemologist. I don't want him to choose the expert. Do you know of any in Chicago?

Rockefellar

Rough_Rock
I also wanted to add that I asked the jewler for the Sarin. He does not speak very good English and was not sure whta I was talking about. I don't think that I knew until today when I read some of the past posts on the crown and pavilion angles/percentages. Where do they get the crown and pavilion info from? Do they have a device they use at their store?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
No worries
smile.gif
Btw, David Atlas, ( www.gemappraisers.com ) offers Sarin or Megascope measurements as public service for symbolic $10.

Rockefellar

Rough_Rock
Thanks. I will let you know the crown and pavilion info once I find out. How do Jewlers get the Sarin report? Is this something that they do on their own or do they send it somewhere?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
If jeweler has Sarin or Ogi machine in house he/she can do measurements him(her)self. Otherwise, it should be done elsewhere.In our days many appraiser or grading labs have these machines. I reckon most diamond cutters have them too.

Rockefellar

Rough_Rock
I don't know how my jewler would feel about sending the diamond to David Atlas. I want to get it appraised before I buy it from him. I really just want to get a Sarin or OGI analysis done.

Rockefellar

Rough_Rock
From the info provided can you tell if the diamond has a good spread? I am concerned more about the quality of the stone. I have the dimensions of the stone...,i.e. mm. Would this be helpful?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Professional Gem Sciences: www.progem.com Unfortunately without life examination or Sarin/Ogi measurenet it isn't possible to tell more...

Rockefellar

Rough_Rock
Well..guess what happened?? The Chicago jeweler I was working with suggested that I take the diamond I was very close to buying..to a gemologist. He said that he wanted me to be happy. He told me to pick them out and everything. I called him yesterday with the lab I wanted to go to...PGS..He started to get defensive/paranoid all of a sudden and said "What are they going to do to the diamond?" I told him that they fully examine it to make sure it matches up with the GIA cert and they do a SARIN analysis. He said no way....I don't have time for that.. .. He was the one who told me that he would not sell me the diamond without me taking it to a gemologist..I told him..it only takes one hour. I was so mad at this point...I asked him why? are you trying to hide something here? Don't you want to tell the diamond? The conversation ended pretty badly...I can't find one reputable or honest jeweler in Chicago. I know that I am picky...but when you are spending all of that money...you want to make sure that you are getting what you paid for. He was obviously doing something illegal.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Rockefellar, I'm trying to think about an excuse for the jeweler but cannot find any...Indeed, he offered himself to take the diamond to a gemologist. You were going to spend quite a bit of money and it's understandable you wanted to protect yourself as much as possible...How did you find PGS? I guess you've spoken to them. What kind of service are they offering?Lawmax gave good advice. You might want to try it if you won't find anything else localy.

Rockefellar

Rough_Rock
The PGS staff was very nice and professional. I called the lady back and told her what happened and that I would not be coming. She told me that they have worked with almost all of the jewelers on wabash but not the one I was working with.

jamesd

Shiny_Rock
One good thing. PGS saved you money without you even having to pay them a fee. Nice job by you and them.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
If you don't want to stray too far, try Iceman at www.midwestgems.com. He is in Moline.If you don't mind buying over the internet, you can try Steve L (StevL here) at www.demsjewelers.com. Give him a call. You can't go wrong.
smile.gif

Rockefellar

Rough_Rock
PGS service includes a 1 hour examination of the diamond and a sarin report for $35 dollars. (verbal analysis and explanation to you) If you want it all in writing or a written report it is $50.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Rockefellar, Thanks for the info. It will help other consumers.Did PGS recommend any jeweler to work with?

Rockefellar

Rough_Rock
I was too upset about the situation...I did not think of that until I left. I will ask them.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results