shape
carat
color
clarity

Stone advice please (help me pick)

grapefruit

Rough_Rock
Hi all, looking for opinions on these stones : )
I'm looking for: Round 1.5-1.6ct E/D VVS2/VVS1 Ideal *
* Sticking to HPHT to avoid common issues with CVD and IGI certs because of the price
H&A on the certificate is not important, but I'm still looking for something close to it. Is it even possible to really tell from the videos? The last stone I linked above is the only one with H&A on the certificate, but in the video it visually looks the least H&A. Is it just the angle of the video? I understand that many stones technically have H&A, yet aren't graded as such because it costs extra. Are any of the other stones I linked examples of this?

I've also seen some posts on here calling out "uneven pavillion", I don't seem to have the eye for this yet because I honestly couldn't even tell. Do any of these stones have this issue and how can I tell?

Thanks in advance, cheers!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't like the cut on these stones. We usually recommend crown angles of 34-35 and pavilion angles of 40.6-40.9. They all have some degree of an unevenly cut pavilion. You can see this from the black triangles between the base of the arrows.

I've found a beautiful ~1.5 D VVS with H&A designation. Let me know when you're online and able to put it on hold, and I'll post the link.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello and welcome to PriceScope, grapefruit!
Snag that very first one you posted...the video at LooseGrownDiamond is wrong, but I saw the correct video at another seller:

Screenshot_20240206-073451-408.png

grapefruit

Rough_Rock
Thank you @DejaWiz unfortunately looks like someone else bought it, but that's on me for being too slow. If you have any other similar recommendations I'm all ears!

@Kim N I would love to see your suggestion as well, online and ready :)

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you @DejaWiz unfortunately looks like someone else bought it, but that's on me for being too slow. If you have any other similar recommendations I'm all ears!

What's your desired budget cap for just the loose diamond?

grapefruit

Rough_Rock
@DejaWiz for the size and specs it seems like $750 - $900 is doable and fair (but that could also just be because most of the diamonds I've looked at in this range are actually suboptimally cut) but anything <$1000 is a go imo

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Here you go!

grapefruit

Rough_Rock
@Kim N Top of my budget but looks lovely so I purchased, can't wait to see it in person thank you. Think my plan is to buy one more and compare in person for the final decision. You guys are awesome!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Kim N Top of my budget but looks lovely so I purchased, can't wait to see it in person thank you. Think my plan is to buy one more and compare in person for the final decision. You guys are awesome!

You're welcome! And that's wonderful, looking forward to hearing your thoughts once it arrives!

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Ooooo @grapefruit, we love pictures, if you get the chance! Excited for you!

grapefruit

Rough_Rock
@lovedogs @Kim N haha guess I have a lot more homework to do o_O thank you both for your insight! Visually I did like 4 the most out of the bunch too.

I will be more strict in my search regarding proportions (34-34.5/40.8, 34.5-35/40.6 is what I've read, hopefully thats correct). Still figuring out how to tell if there's uneven pavilion facets, is it that these pieces are not all identical or proportional?

screenshot.png

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs @Kim N haha guess I have a lot more homework to do o_O thank you both for your insight! Visually I did like 4 the most out of the bunch too.

I will be more strict in my search regarding proportions (34-34.5/40.8, 34.5-35/40.6 is what I've read, hopefully thats correct). Still figuring out how to tell if there's uneven pavilion facets, is it that these pieces are not all identical or proportional?

screenshot.png

It is the black triangles between the base of the arrows (between what you've outlined), in particular just past the 3 o'clock position and a smaller one close to 8 o'clock.

grapefruit

Rough_Rock
@Kim N is it because those black triangles exist that it is bad or indicative of uneven facets? Meaning, no black triangles or small black triangles could indicate a more even cut?

And I simply must have the worst luck because LGD just informed me that 603330293 has already been sold :(

They have offered me 617479982 (video), but I think I will decline. Visually it's not as appealing to my eye, proportions seem not ideal, and it doesn't even have H&A designation on the cert (for the same price).

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
@Kim N is it because those black triangles exist that it is bad or indicative of uneven facets? Meaning, no black triangles or small black triangles could indicate a more even cut?

And I simply must have the worst luck because LGD just informed me that 603330293 has already been sold :(

They have offered me 617479982 (video), but I think I will decline. Visually it's not as appealing to my eye, proportions seem not ideal, and it doesn't even have H&A designation on the cert (for the same price).

Correct on all accounts...the triangles can definitely be an easy indicator of pavilion twist/cut slop.
... definitely decline that offering.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That offering is horrible. Decline

grapefruit

Rough_Rock
@Kim N / @lovedogs / @DejaWiz wondering what your opinions are on these:
  • Diamond 1 (40.8/34.5/57)
  • Diamond 2 (40.8/34/57)
  • Diamond 3 (40.8/34.6/58 )
    • Bad example maybe, lots of triangles?
  • Diamond 4 (40.7/35.2/57)
    • Another no so good example because of triangles?
Think I like 1 the most. Sadly when I found these earlier they were all around $900. I checked now and they're all around $1500... was that a pricing error on LGD or are prices usually this volatile?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
  • Diamond 2 (40.8/34/57)
Think I like 1 the most. Sadly when I found these earlier they were all around $900. I checked now and they're all around $1500... was that a pricing error on LGD or are prices usually this volatile?

The first two links aren't working for me. 3 and 4 aren't bad but there are better out there.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would share the medialink links but the website is down atm :/

Although since both stones are out of my budget now anyways I'll share them directly:

Diamond 1 is https://www.adiamor.com/Lab-Diamonds/1.60-ct-D-VVS1-Affinity-Cut-Round-Diamond/D57007979

Diamond 2 is https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/1.57-ct-D-VVS1-Affinity-Cut-Round-Diamond/D56433646

I agree with you, the 1.60 is the best. Perfect proportions and beautifully cut. Have you done a Google search or checked individual sites for the report number to see if it's cheaper elsewhere?

grapefruit

Rough_Rock
I agree with you, the 1.60 is the best. Perfect proportions and beautifully cut. Have you done a Google search or checked individual sites for the report number to see if it's cheaper elsewhere?

I have yes, unfortunately nothing even comes close to the $983 I saw it for this afternoon. The cheapest I could find is Adiamor for $1493, it's currently $1543 on LGD. The silver lining is I think I must at least be getting better at evaluating stones.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Can you wait until after Valentine’s Day? That might help with price.

grapefruit

Rough_Rock
@0515vision ah yes I probably could, but not too long after though since my timeline to have the final ring is early April. Thanks for the tip!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
  • Diamond 2 (40.8/34/57)

Diamond #1 - grab it before someone else does and never look back!
Also check for it at Brilliance to see if there price with the 20% off code gives you the best price.

grapefruit

Rough_Rock
Diamond #1 - grab it before someone else does and never look back!
Also check for it at Brilliance to see if there price with the 20% off code gives you the best price.

Any tips for searching brilliance by cert #? I had the same thought but found it really difficult to find specific stones since they use their own SKU number.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Any tips for searching brilliance by cert #? I had the same thought but found it really difficult to find specific stones since they use their own SKU number.

They may not have it listed, depending on the supplier.
After some deep-dive searching the web, I was able to find diamond #1.

Found some alternatives for same or less price, if you're interested.

Example: IGI H&A, clean HPHT, around 8mm, for a price increase of a cheap to modest dinner for one...here's the video.

If you like what you see, then say the word and I will post the link so that you have a chance to place a quick hold/reserve on it then weight your options.

grapefruit

Rough_Rock
They may not have it listed, depending on the supplier.
After some deep-dive searching the web, I was able to find diamond #1.

Found some alternatives for same or less price, if you're interested.

Example: IGI H&A, clean HPHT, around 8mm, for a price increase of a cheap to modest dinner for one...here's the video.

If you like what you see, then say the word and I will post the link so that you have a chance to place a quick hold/reserve on it then weight your options.

I love what I see, but at 8mm it's probably around 2ct, no? Carat is one thing I don't have much flexibility on. We know 1.5-1.6ct (7.3mm - 7.5mm) is where we wanna be. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it, it'll surely go quick!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results