shape
carat
color
clarity

still trying to decide

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ceylonfan

Rough_Rock
I''m still trying to figure out my comfort levels with inclusions and colors. At first blush I can''t see the difference b/n color and I can''t see the inclusions very well with the loupe but as eyes adjust I can better differentiate color and I can even see some inclusions with my naked eyes up close. What do you think is the best choice b/n these three? Do you think I should look at J SI?

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2379/

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-69407.htm#

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-179711.htm#

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, it kinda depends on what you want. If you just want a very pretty diamond, that doesn''t have to be cut to the absolute best precision, that first one is a real bargain. You get the 2 ct. look without the price. And you''ll have no worries with seeing inclusions.

The next one offers a bit more size (though at that size, apart, it would not really be noticable), a bit better cutting, and the same color and clarity for 4 grand more.

And then you have the top dog. It''s a good bit bigger than the other two, the best cutting, a color lower, and inbetween in price.

You say you can see color, does it bother you, or you just see it? You need to answer that to figure out if the I (or a J) is in the running. That''s a pretty big stone, you''re probably going to see warmth from the side...

ceylonfan

Rough_Rock
Color doesn''t bother me much but I do think the whiter diamonds are more brilliant looking. What do you think about the inclusions on the third diamond? Do you think it''s eye clean up close? Also, do you think once set it will be noticably "warm" from the side?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My "guess" is, yes, it will be eyeclean, but you really need to have WF look at it.

I guess it would depend on what setting, but an open one where the sides/pavillion are noticable, yes, I think you''ll see a bit of warmth.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the photo of the third diamond. I''m no Round expert. But I am happy with my I cushion which shows more color than it would if it were a round. So with a well cut round of that size you may see a little warmth but the shape and the good cut will minimize that. You may need to order it and look at it in different types of lighting.

If that''s not possible then go to a jewelry store with that size stone and check out YOUR reaction to the different colors. But you need to view the stones in different lighting situations.

My liking it is not enough. YOU will be the one wearing it.
21.gif

ceylonfan

Rough_Rock
Actually, I''m not the one who will be wearing it... it''s an e-ring. Anyway, I HATE the B&M hustle but I''ve seen a couple of stones even Js and didn''t mind the color too much. However, I''ve read on this board that the store lights make even bad stones look good so I''m still unsure. I''ve asked to see the stones in more natural lighting but the most they do is walk you over to the window.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d probably go with one of the H stones if it was me. That is sort of my limit in color, although you''ll find people on here who like every possible color! I like VS and up on the clarity, too.

ceylonfan

Rough_Rock
Not as large a choice for 2 carat+ online. H seems to be the rarest.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2007 9:51:49 AM
Author: ceylonfan
Actually, I''m not the one who will be wearing it... it''s an e-ring. Anyway, I HATE the B&M hustle but I''ve seen a couple of stones even Js and didn''t mind the color too much. However, I''ve read on this board that the store lights make even bad stones look good so I''m still unsure. I''ve asked to see the stones in more natural lighting but the most they do is walk you over to the window.

OK you won''t be the one wearing it but YOU will be the one looking at it day after day, not me. You must get what you are comfortable with. That means spending alot of time in B&M finding out what that is.

Yes stones will look different in your lighting at home. I think most stones look good color wise in sunlight. It''s the regular household lighting that''s a challenge. My I looks great at home in the afternoon with the gentle sunlight coming in. I know that some stones look yellow in the lighting they have at Panera Bread co. It would bug me to be eating lunch and look down at my ring and see it as YELLOW. Some color is OK with me, a tint. But not YELLOW.

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results