shape
carat
color
clarity

Still trying to decide....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am really trying to decide about my ring so it doesn''''t consume my whole summer! I''''d love to just look at PS everyday without having to obsessively look at diamonds and settings for myself! I am thinking I may go with the Lockes solitaire setting or maybe the SuperbCert Tiffany. I just got a pretty band from Signed Pieces that I hope will go with those.

As some of you have followed my journey know, I first looked at a consignment stone (new, never set). It is 1.66 carats H VS1 and not quite ideal cut (it has a 58 table and 62 depth, but is very nicely cut). It has an older GIA cert which says good-very good for polish and symmetry. I felt like this stone was a little too large for me (I have 1 ct. now), and I also worried about wishing I had H&A because of the peer pressure on here.
It was the first stone I had looked at, so I couldn''''t possibly decide on it at that time.

Now I am seriously considering a H&A, AGS0, around 1.3 also H (just happens to be VVS which is more than I actually need). It is excellent in every way, but a tiny bit smaller than my imaginary ideal (1.4 would probably be perfect, but that''''s just a minute amount bigger).

The stones are VERY close in price. I feel a little funny paying virtually the same price for a 1.3 as a 1.6, although I know the 1.3 is the better stone. Oddly, I might feel self-consious wearing a 1.6, yet it still costs about the same as the 1.3! I haven''''t even thought about the 1.6 stone in awhile, but I am reminded of it because if the price issue. I''''ll try to attach a picture.

I guess this is sort of like a poll. Would you go for the excellent 1.3 or a very good 1.6? (Consider that I am not in a large diamond area. I''''ll try to post pictures of the band later.) Thanks!

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, hard to say. I have a 1.3 expert selection (I think it qualifies as ideal although not a true hearts and arrows ACA) for me anyways I could NEVER imagine not having an ideal cut stone. So definitely the smaller 1.3. But have you thought of dropping to an I color perhaps? Or maybe just waiting for the 1.4 carat stone? I suppose it depends on if it''s a budget constraint or if a simple impatience constraint.

Mokey

Shiny_Rock
I would go with the 1.3, you know you can''t go wrong with it. If you go with the 1.6 you will FOREVER pick it apart and know that it is not mind clean/eye clean, whether it is or not. You aren''t a size gal anyway, so go with the ideal!

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker, you ARE a mindclean-required kind of gal!

That 1.6 looks really beautiful to me, though.

I do understand that you are tired of the search, but.... neither one of these is what your REALLY want, is it? (eta: maybe it's too soon to give up)

If it were me, I'd get the 1.3, but that's just me.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Allycat, Mokey, db,

Thank you all for your replies! I needed to hear everything you said! Yes, I am a mind-clean girl and should get an ideal cut stone even though the 1.6 was pretty. After that, I set 1.4 or so as my goal (and 7.2 mm), but those are pretty rare.

I would not mind paying more for a slightly larger stone exactly like the 1.3. But it is SO hard to find a stone with ALL the specs you want! I did try a 1.44 which was the ideal size but it had a couple of things I did not like about it. The sad thing is, the size issue is really mental, too. If I could see the 1.3 and compare it to my current 1.0 ct., then I might realize I was worried for nothing! But it is a lot of trouble to keep ordering and returning stones!!! (Ally, I might be open to an I color if I could see it. I have included it in some of my searches. I started looking at G and dropped to H, so that was where I was trying to focus.)

So I could wait and take the chance of losing the 1.3 that is otherwise perfect or else go ahead and get the 1.3 now. I don''t plan to upgrade again, so I''d like to make the right decision now! I wish I didn''t live so far from these vendors because it would probably help to go see the stones in person!

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm I''ll go for the better cut stone, but I probably won''t like paying for the VVS clarity very much
2.gif

Where are u looking to get your rock from?

GOG might have a nice 1.56 G Si1 H&A stone AGS0 stone soon
31.gif

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Diamondseeker: Definitely be patient if it''s not a budget constraint. I saw an I colored stone (I have an H) and even before I knew that it was an I color stone, I thought it looked a little, tiny bit *something* it was a true hearts and arrows diamond (while I have an expert selection). My boyfriend noticed it too. Also set in a similar setting. So he has been pretty adament that H is the limit for us. But I don''t think that is the case for everyone, and it could also be that not all I''s are created equal. But if it''s a mind clean thing, then don''t settle or else you''ll stare at it and see things that aren''t really there. And then you''ll drive your hubby crazy for another upgrade
11.gif
Good luck!

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
I am the queen of trying to solve a problem quickly, but I would say "wait." THE perfect thing will open up- albeit probably at the end of summer.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Jade, Ally, and Julia! I really helps to have others to help me think this through! Ally, I think maybe you''re right to keep my limit at H. The extra clarity is not too much of an issue because an H VVS1 is still lower in price than a G VS1, which is sort of my upper limit (and H VS1 being my lower limit). I seriously do not want to upgrade again because I may get a setting made for the stone, and that is very expensive.

Jade, my old stone is an SI2, but we knew nothing about the 4 C''s when we got it. It is F color and very white and bright, and that is why we chose it. The clarity is a mind-clean thing with me. I sort of feel like I''d like to upgrade cut and clarity on the new stone. However, the price factor on an F made me seriously look at G-H color this time.

I suppose it wouldn''t hurt to wait awhile longer.

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
OK, this is making a little more sense.

I don''t blame you on being very picky about the stone becuase once you have made a custom setting, you are pretty much done with that project.

Having said that, I wonder what sort of setting you are thinking about?
The more magnificent the setting, the more I might opt for a 1.3 vs a 1.6- only becuase there is so much more going on in the ring and the size of the cetner stone might even be better to be a tad smaller.

Having an inexpensive Stuller as I do now, is a strategy to keep my options open for a while! Likeyou, once I get that custom setting, Mark Morrell, or whatever I decide, I am DONE.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Diamondseeker...Patience is annoying I have to admit. For me, we chose a stone that I LOVE, except I have now come to feel is too small. Unfortunately, its in a Leon Mege halo setting which cost almost as much as the stone! So there''s no way it can be changed. There''s been many times that I wished I had a simple setting so I could change my stone, or that I''d taken diamond shrinkage more seriously. Or even just kind of thought about how much impact I wanted my ring to have.
So if it''s an expensive setting that can''t be modified, then you have to be EXTRA picky. Have you thought about contacting a specific vendor, sending them your parameters and seeing if they can find something for you? It might stop the temptation to buy something that you have to rationalize in your head.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS I agree you are a mindclean kinda gal! NOTHING wrong with that - I would go the opposite way and go with the larger well cut diamond in a heartbeat, but then I am a size loving wench! A pretty non branded diamond with a great cut which is bigger will capture my heart every time, but that isn''t you! I know you prefer a high clarity which is fine too - I just wonder if maybe you hold your fire maybe and wait for something that fits all the criteria rather than trying to settle... I don''t honestly know if this is what you are doing, I just want you to be happy with whatever you choose! Don''t rush it, go with your heart.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could''ve waited months more to find my perfect ideal cut 3-carat stone, but by then I had already waited 4 months and I was getting impatient. I was longing for a new, larger stone so much that it physically hurt! (especially whenever I was on PS, hehe) When GOG finally located an ideal-cut 3 carat stone and had it brought in for me, I thought that would be the end of story. But JA came through with a 3.5 carat AGS0 that had a larger crown angle (old cert) and I just had to see it. Well, you know the rest of the story. The 3.5 carat won in a visual test over the 3.0. And it wasn''t just the size-loving whore in me! The wonderful Nan Stacy concurred too. By then, I had been well-educated on all the ins and outs of the ideal cut thanks to PS, but when I actually SAW the beauty of the 3.5carat, I was able to overcome the mind-clean thing. So I''m proof that ideal specs aren''t always gospel, and that you can overcome the mind-clean tendencies IF the stone is beautiful to your eye. So, I have no advice except to remain open-minded and to trust your eyes. (I also have a lovely GIA "Good" cut 1.37 E/VS1 stone and although the symmetry is pretty much nonexistent, it''s somehow still VERY sparkly. No one without a loupe would *ever* guess that it isn''t an ideal stone.)

And, of course, you can always just wait as the others have suggested. But then you run the risk of having less purchasing power as diamond prices go up. Just food for thought. :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/13/2006 9:03:23 AM
Author: dbgaap
OK, this is making a little more sense.

I don''t blame you on being very picky about the stone becuase once you have made a custom setting, you are pretty much done with that project.

Having said that, I wonder what sort of setting you are thinking about?
The more magnificent the setting, the more I might opt for a 1.3 vs a 1.6- only becuase there is so much more going on in the ring and the size of the cetner stone might even be better to be a tad smaller.

Having an inexpensive Stuller as I do now, is a strategy to keep my options open for a while! Likeyou, once I get that custom setting, Mark Morrell, or whatever I decide, I am DONE.
db, I actually requested Stuller setting prices just to delay making a "final" setting decision! But I am considering the Lockes solitaire setting like Matatora has which is between $1750 and $2000 (I was told yesterday) and Mark Morrell would certainly be a possibility, too. So for me, if I spend over $1500 on a setting, it needs to be permanent as I hate throwing money away!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/13/2006 9:32:24 AM
Author: allycat0303
Diamondseeker...Patience is annoying I have to admit. For me, we chose a stone that I LOVE, except I have now come to feel is too small. Unfortunately, its in a Leon Mege halo setting which cost almost as much as the stone! So there''s no way it can be changed. There''s been many times that I wished I had a simple setting so I could change my stone, or that I''d taken diamond shrinkage more seriously. Or even just kind of thought about how much impact I wanted my ring to have.
So if it''s an expensive setting that can''t be modified, then you have to be EXTRA picky. Have you thought about contacting a specific vendor, sending them your parameters and seeing if they can find something for you? It might stop the temptation to buy something that you have to rationalize in your head.
Well, now I am worried if you have DSS with a 1.3! That Lockes setting is handmade to fit the stone, so I could not just change it later. Pretty much the same with the SuperbCert Tiffany as well. You are in the same situation with a Leon Mege halo for sure!

I have pretty much done what you suggested, but I think most would like us to buy from their current inventory if there is something close. But I am about to ask for more options, I think.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Lorelei and Kristy! Part of the problem is that I can''t see all these potential stones together (and try them on to see the size realtionships). There is no independent appraiser near me to have them sent to. So I have to basically order each one and send it back if I don''t love it. That is getting to be a lot of trouble, not to mention I''m not making friends with many vendors!

Lorelei, I imagine that 1.6 is in the top 20% of diamonds, if not better. So to most people, it would be an outstanding stone to have. And Kristy, my current 1.0 ct. F, good cut, gets compliments frequently! So all this AGS0 stuff would only be for me and PS, because it would mean nothing to the casual observer of my ring!!! I have one friend who loves jewelry although she doesn''t know quite as much as a PS addict does about diamonds. I took the 1.6 for her to see and she LOVED it and thought I was crazy for not keeping it. Then several weeks later I took her the 1.44 H&A stone to see, and you know what? She told me she thought she liked the first stone better!!! (I probably did, too, as I didn''t like the 54 table on the 1.44). I did feel the 1.6 was a little big, though, and that''s when I thought I''d aim for 1.4.

See, I am making myself crazy! This is why I am trying to make some kind of decision so I don''t completely lose my mind! Lol!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well you know how I feel. I think you should get the biggest, best diamond you can since you already have a 1 ct. You will have DSS no matter what. I thought the one at Tiffany''s (size wise) looked great on your hand. I thought my e-ring looked great on you too so you def. could go bigger than 1.4 ct. The wait WILL be worth it. I promise Janise!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS
take your time to find the " ideal mind clean everything stone" b/c in the future your mind will work you over, can''t sleep at night
2.gif
and your mind will keep on talking to you....you should of got this color, this size,this clarity or this specs with H&A. you don''t want to waste a 2+k setting.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/13/2006 1:38:26 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Well you know how I feel. I think you should get the biggest, best diamond you can since you already have a 1 ct. You will have DSS no matter what. I thought the one at Tiffany''s (size wise) looked great on your hand. I thought my e-ring looked great on you too so you def. could go bigger than 1.4 ct. The wait WILL be worth it. I promise Janise!
Ooops! I think my reply didn''t go through because I was posting it while the thread was being moved from Hangout to Rocky Talk! I thought this was more of a psychology thread which is why I put it in Hangout! Lol!

Tacori, your ring is gorgeous and DID look great on me! And I loved the 1.4 at Tiffany''s as well! So I am going to try to be patient a little longer if the vendors don''t give up on me!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/13/2006 2:23:36 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
DS
take your time to find the '' ideal mind clean everything stone'' b/c in the future your mind will work you over, can''t sleep at night
2.gif
and your mind will keep on talking to you....you should of got this color, this size,this clarity or this specs with H&A. you don''t want to waste a 2+k setting.
Thanks, DF. I know you''re right that I need to be patient! I can''t in good conscience waste a custom setting.

diamondlove

Shiny_Rock
I just had to chime in and say that I completely understand the impatience but agree with the others who say to wait for THE stone that makes you completely crazy. You still have a pretty stone on your finger to enjoy in the meantime, rt? That''s better than those of us with an empty finger to stare at!
2.gif

On the other hand, if you had to put a gun to my head and pick between these two I''d go with the better cut UNLESS you really honestly prefer the first one -- remember it''s more important which you VISUALLY prefer. Also, I''d trust your eyes more than the avg person because you''ve gotten to know your diamonds so well. If you really are going to choose between the two then go with what YOU think looks prettier despite the numbers.

Remember I went into choosing between my two stones thinking i''d def. choose the H color over the I but I went with my visual preference (the I) since the numbers and appraisers agreed it was pretty equal.

You are the one who has to look at it every single day and not us PSers nor anyone else so make sure you LOVE it.

DL

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks DL! Your stone is beautiful and another reason I don''t want to go too small! I haven''t actually seen the 1.3, but it appears to be a great stone..a high H color, AGS0 and 0 for light performance, etc. It''s hard to compare these two stones because they are very different. I did make an enquiry about one more stone late today that I may have brought in to compare as well. I think not being able to see and try on these stones is my biggest problem at this point!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you''ve waited this long, you may as well hold out for EXACTLY what you want.
maybe you could distract yourself by looking for some earrings in the meantime
11.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol!!! Earrings...that means TWO matching diamonds! Ugh! (Just kidding! That is on my list after the ring is done! My old ones are not up to the cut quality I now require, thanks to PS!)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Carlotta

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/13/2006 9:26:46 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006

Date: 6/13/2006 8:32:58 PM
Author: Gypsy
Another vote for not settling here.

Sorry!

ETA: Um...
33.gif
too big??

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/1849/

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/1963/
Thanks, Gypsy! As painful as it is to hear, I think you and others are right. I have had my eye on the second one, but it might be a little big! I really just want one in between that and the 1.3, but the H VS1 is great!
WOW...that one looks REALLY nice...why too big???

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
if you are considering a 1.4 then 1.6 will not be too big. the difference is minute...enough of a difference to MAKE a difference but not enough to say one is 'too big' and the other is not IMO.

however, i'd get as large as you can because DSS *does* set in after you have been wearing it for a while, but i'd also not compromise on cut, period. been there, done that and in the end it bothered me. i have to have an exceptionally cut stone. just depends on what you HAVE to have. everyone is different.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I gotta tell ya. That H VS1 is beautiful. It is 1.6 but really what''s .2 between friends? Just a wee bit of difference. I''d snap that puppy up. You won''t even notice after a month.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results