shape
carat
color
clarity

Still searching is this a fair deal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gadiamond

Rough_Rock
Been a long search for a decent diamond, came across this board seems like many knowledgeable and friendly people are here. I am looking at this diamond at a local shop:

EGL USA: UH286171607

Price would be $2300 even. Is this a fair price? Thanks,

John.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you tell us more about the diamond?
Size (carat weight), shape, colour, clarity? This will give me the ability to tell you the ballpark cost of what a similar diamond might cost.

gadiamond

Rough_Rock
Weight 1.0 ct.
Shape RECT. MOD. BRILLIANT
Color E
Clarity SI2
Measurements 5.72 x 5.08 x 3.82 mm
Depth 75.2
Table 82.0
Crown 11.5
Pavilion 38.0
Girdle MEDIUM TO SL. THICK POLISHED
Polish GOOD
Symmetry GOOD
Fluorescence MEDIUM BLUE
Culet NONE

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For EGL stones with similar stats (1 carat E SI2, large table and depth, with GD polish & symmetry) online runs about $1800 to $1900. Prices are more competitive online because of a lower overhead cost.

Do you love the stone? I am just concerned because it is very deep (so it looks much smaller than a stone with a depth in the mid 60s) and the table is very large (which could give it a glassy flat look). Not to mention an EGL SI2 clarity makes me wonder how eye clean the stone is? EGL certification is also loose compared to GIA. Is the cert a EGL USA?

gadiamond

Rough_Rock
Im not in love with it. Compared to searching bluenile it seemed like a good deal. I am not sure of any other really reuptable online shops maybe you can give me a suggestion? We have wedding bands already I want a nice ring to match ofcourse. So i want to get a 1carat princess cut (looking bigger in the setting is ofcourse a plus). Neither of us are jewlery addicts but I want to find a good deal on a stone then pick up a nice setting locally. Thanks,

*edit* yes EGL USA

John

BTW: The stone is on consignment i came to find. Someone paid $4500 originally at whitehall jewlers and had a receipt. (i guess got robbed).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
John,
I have personally bought diamonds from these vendors:
Jon at www.goodoldgold.com (has a real brick and mortar store in Long Island NY)
www.whiteflash.com in Houston, TX

Other honest and fair diamond vendors here are:
www.jamesallen.com
Wink at www.winkjones.com (also works with Paul of Infinity diamonds)
Mark at www.engagementringsdirect.com
www.pearlmanjewelers.com

For fancy cut stones, I'd go with GOG and WF where they can do ASET pictures and numerous testing to verify the light performance (aka beauty/sparkle) of the diamond.

Chase035

Shiny_Rock
Hey Chrono,

I didn''t know GOG had a shop on Long Island. Where abouts?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s the information and map link:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/ContactUs/

GOG

5278 Sunrise Highway

Massapequa Park, NY 11762
(516) 798-5151 ext 2

Store Hours:
Tuesday - Saturday

10:30 am - 6:00 pm EST

Thursday

10:30 am - 9:00 pm EST

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks really good.

One more suggestion: I''d recommend a slightly better colour and lower clarity. H SI1 would be a very sweet combo because colour shows quite well in princess cuts, and the there are many eye clean SI1 if you stick with PS vendors.

gadiamond

Rough_Rock
See I am in houston right now and they are local so i gave them a call and they were very helpful, informative, and made me feel like I was dealing with honest people. So I may go with them for everything. i will see if they have something with H SI1. Thanks!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, better yet that Whiteflash is local to you. You can have them line up several stones and make an appointment to see them in person! I would just love to be able to visit their office.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The second choice H SI1 has interesting stats. I''d ask WF these information on both stones:
1. A real picture of the stone (to check if it is eye clean and to see the facet pattern - not provided on Stone 2)
2. Sarin scan (for crown height)
3. Idealscope (light leakage)
4. ASET (light performance)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results