shape
carat
color
clarity

Still contemplating a "growing stone"...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
In the next few weeks I get a small budget for a new sparkly.

My idea is to buy a stone or stones that I can "grow" with time.

I already know where I''m getting the stone(s) - the hard part is decided WHAT to get.

Here are my options...

1. a solitaire, about .75ish in the cheapest setting possible
2. Studs, approx .50 each
3. a pendant with a .75ish stone

Here''s my pro/con list...

1. a solitaire - I have a halo e-ring, and I LOVE the look of a solitaire as well, BUT, a solitaire setting isn''t exactly chep, and if this is going to be a growing stone, a ring may not be economical. Also - I already have a really nice 2 carat sapphire with diamond traps as a RHR, not sure I want to get a new RHR.

2. Stud - this is a DREAM of mine, to have studs, BUT, the eventual goal is to get this growing stone to 2 carats in the next 8 years. So 2 stones - maybe not the right choice.

3. A happy medium perhaps? A not so pricey setting, rabbit ears that will fit on an existing chain....

Can a solitaire pendant holding a .75 ct be "stretched" to fit a larger stoen without compromising safety? hmm..

Anyway, what''s your opinions?

Thanks!

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
A solitaire pendant can be stretched a little bit, but not tremendously so.

As a ''for instance'', one of the PS gals traded a .55 stone for a .75 stone. The .55 had been set into a solitaire pendant, and the .75 wouldn''t fit. She had to get another solitaire pendant setting for the .75.

If your vendor has a pretty liberal return policy, then I''d go with studs. The fact that they are two stones shouldn''t prevent you from trading them as a unit toward an upgraded piece. A few of the gals here have traded smaller studs for a single larger pendant later.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
I think the idea of buying to upgrade is great.

How about this for a ''for-instance''...

Would you consider buying a different shaped stone to a rb (if that is the goal 2 ct rb), pear or asscher springs to mind. So you can experience different cuts whils on your journey up to 2ct rb. It would be more interesting perhaps...

Also i do not know what colour or clarity you are hoping for in the 2 ct but hows about getting either much higher or much lower to experiment. Ie goal is 2ct E so get a 1ct K now, Goal 2ct J get a .25 D.

I would have fun with it. As long as you would not lose out on $ that way you might be interested in setting the new stone in a solitaire rhr or pendant, because it will be new and interesting as opposed to a small version of your dream stone...

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
There was an interesting thread awhile back about buying a small stone to upgrade (a few time) vs. investing the money and which would get you to your final goal the fastest. I cannot remember what it was called but maybe someone else can. Of course investing won''t give you a pretty, temporary stone
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results