shape
carat
color
clarity

Sticking it out at a job?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
How long did you stick around at a job you knew you was making you unhappy? and why did you stay?

I have stayed because I really need a substantial amount of time at one job on my resume. Also, eventhough I work with my old manager, she is no longer my direct report. No communication seems to be working well for us. However, my new report might be leaving and they might transition me back to my old manager.
The positives for sticking around are getting more and more slim...

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 12:21:15 PM
Author:meresal
I have stayed because I really need a substantial amount of time at one job on my resume.
That's precisely why my husband is staying in a massively underpaid job for the time being. While his skill set makes him way overqualified for his title and pay, his technical experience level is low (less than three years, which is what job listings call for). It's an annoying spot to be in, for sure, because it's simply a waiting game. He's currently exploring his options for moving on.

I've stayed in jobs that don't make me happy for the same reason, but I'm in a slow-start career field that requires a LOT of grunt-work and dues-paying before I can move on to bigger, better things. It's a necessary evil of the industry. Luckily, all my work is short-term contract based (almost always under 4 months), so I never have to 'stick it out' for long.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I''m a workaholic so my advice probably isn''t the best.

I''m all for paying your dues. If working with a crappy manager will get you a better resume and more opportunities down the line, then I''d put up with it for as long as possible. I worked in one place for 3 years that I sort-of kind-of liked but had to deal with them treating me more like an intern. I had all kinds of "managers" although my manager was a Director. But I put up with it because I knew it would open doors for me. And when I left, it did. I had a l ot of offers from private companies and I''m now in a job that I absolutely love.

But if the job really isn''t something that''s going to get you to your end career goal then I would move on. Having a totally irrelevant job on your resume for 2+ years just for the sake of having one on there isn''t going to help you much either.

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock
In my opinion, it''s not worth it. I know it doesn''t look great on a resume to job hop, but if you''re miserable you aren''t doing anyone any favors.

The only thing I''ve EVER gotten out of remaining at a job I was unhappy with is laid off... even when I was working for a company that was tanking and worked tirelessly and beyond my actual abilities to make my boss happy. A company will NEVER be more loyal to you than to it''s bottom line, so it''s best to find a place you are happy.

Look at it this way - if you start looking for jobs now while you''re still employed, anyone that actually hires you obviously doesn''t care about your short term work history... and you might just find the perfect job you can make a real career out of!

Good luck.
1.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I have stayed because I can''t find another job! The second I do, I''m outta here. I''ve been here 3 years, so I also feel like it''s a good time to go; I paid my dues to get to this point, and now I''d like to go somewhere that doesn''t make me miserable.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
How long? Only until I could find another job. I know that companies like to see long term jobs on a resume (I know I did when responsible for hiring), but the flip side is how much your happiness and stress level is worth. When the stress was higher than the pay difference, I left. That tolerance level is different for everyone and every job. It also makes a difference if that has a strong possibility of changing in the near future (i.e. new boss, promotion, reassignment, new location, etc.)

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
My advice would be different if the economy was different. But, I think in today''s market, you''re best staying where you are, if you can.

Lots of over qualified people are taking lower positions because they just need a paycheck and are less concerned with career experience, potential growth and all of those typical things that usually make jobs attractive. In today''s world it''s all about dollars and cents. So, if you were to leave your current position, not only would you be out there looking in a silm market, but you''d be competing against people that may have more experience, higher education, and such. I''m not saying that you wouldn''t stack up against those people, I''m simply pointing out that you''re no longer applying against people of a similar background...you''re applying against everyone.

pinkstars

Brilliant_Rock
I didn''t. I worked there for a total of 3 1/2 months, I just couldn''t take it anymore. I am so much happier even though I don''t have a job right now, but it''s really been for the best I believe.

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
OOH I have done this. I needed the stability on my resume, and the money was good. But the people? HORRIBLE.

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 1:47:16 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor
My advice would be different if the economy was different. But, I think in today''s market, you''re best staying where you are, if you can.

Lots of over qualified people are taking lower positions because they just need a paycheck and are less concerned with career experience, potential growth and all of those typical things that usually make jobs attractive. In today''s world it''s all about dollars and cents. So, if you were to leave your current position, not only would you be out there looking in a silm market, but you''d be competing against people that may have more experience, higher education, and such. I''m not saying that you wouldn''t stack up against those people, I''m simply pointing out that you''re no longer applying against people of a similar background...you''re applying against everyone.

YOU JUST SCARED THE POO OUT OF ME! I''m supposed to be hearing back from a potential employer tomorrow and I really want the job! OH NOES!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I think as others'' replies have demonstrated, it often depends on the specific circumstances and industry. My DH has been "sticking it out" basically since day one (he''s coming up on 5 years) at what is his first job out of college, and its been really rough on him. If I could go back and do things again, I would have told him to get out much sooner, while the economy would still permit it. As it is, I don''t know how much he''ll have to show for staying, since he''s likely changing fields anyway. I do think it has built his character and determination, but I really don''t think its worth the stress, depression, and related health effects AT ALL.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 2:20:38 PM
Author: Feralpenchant

Date: 4/20/2009 1:47:16 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor

YOU JUST SCARED THE POO OUT OF ME! I''m supposed to be hearing back from a potential employer tomorrow and I really want the job! OH NOES!
It is scary. I''ve had many resumes passed along to me for minor positions...like a personal assistant to my assistant...we were having college graduates apply, people that been making 50k or more in their last job are now willing to work for $37,500 a year and for the benefits. There is a clear change.

Mark and I were actually discussing this...how many of the higher paid employees were the first to go because they ate most of the budget.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 2:22:21 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
I think as others'' replies have demonstrated, it often depends on the specific circumstances and industry. My DH has been ''sticking it out'' basically since day one (he''s coming up on 5 years) at what is his first job out of college, and its been really rough on him. If I could go back and do things again, I would have told him to get out much sooner, while the economy would still permit it. As it is, I don''t know how much he''ll have to show for staying, since he''s likely changing fields anyway. I do think it has built his character and determination, but I really don''t think its worth the stress, depression, and related health effects AT ALL.
Yes! The economy really screwed my chances for a new job. I started looking a year ago, but I was a bit picky with where I applied because I figured I would eventually get something; I didn''t want something worse than what I already had. Once everyone started up hiring freezes, I saw my chances go down the drain. Now I wish I had put more effort into it a year ago and really tried to get out of here.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
I actually just decided to change positions last week. My happiness in my current position had been seriously declining since October/November (time spent on PS at work on a serious rise
2.gif
) so after almost 2 years here, several months of unhappiness, I made it known that I want to leave. I''ll hopefully be able to in August.

If you can leave, I say do it. Being "young" (25 almost) I don''t want to stick around doing something that''s slowly killing my will to live.
3.gif
These are supposed to be the good years, right?!
1.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I managed to stay in a horrible job for 7 months but in the end I had to pack it in. In the current economy, I''d probably stay in the job you have but if things start to improve, I''d definitely start looking for something new. Hopefully you won''t have to go back to the old manager.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
3 years. I knew after the first year of teaching that it wasn''t for me. But I also knew I''d be moving in 3 years so I stuck it out because it seemed like a waste to find a new job if it''d only be temporary.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I stuck it out at a job I hated for way too long. It was years ago and I can''t remember now how long I actually stuck it out before leaving, but it felt GREAT when I turned in my resignation letter. To be honest, I''m not sure why I stayed so long (I was at this company for just over 2 years). Maybe it was because I kept thinking that it would get better at some point, and I kept waiting for that to happen. Actually, I was also afraid of the unknown. I wasn''t sure what I would do next, and I was afraid of taking a risk. My job, as much as I hated it toward the end, was sort of like a security blanket, financially. When I did finally leave, I was so much happier. I decided to go back to school full time for my masters. Now I''m in a completely different field and I love it.

I hope you''re able to figure things out and make the right decision for you.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 5:07:07 PM
Author: Sabine
3 years. I knew after the first year of teaching that it wasn''t for me. But I also knew I''d be moving in 3 years so I stuck it out because it seemed like a waste to find a new job if it''d only be temporary.

Sorry to threadjack, Meresal, but Sabine, what will you do once you move? I know you''re relocating to a new area for a new opportunity for your husband, but I was wondering what you''ll look towards next.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone. Italia, you make a good point, and that is obviously a huge draw back. Right now being that we are trying to hoard as much money as possible, I wouldn''t leave without another job lined up.

I work in the banking industry, and my goal in college when I got my economics degree was to end up on Wall Street. Well that goal has been put to the side for happiness in my relationship. If I wanted to pursue that, I would be traveling over 3 or 4 days a week.

I know that "sticking it out" for the padding on the resume is why I have been staying, that and the paycheck, but I''ve been recently thinking... If I leave this industry, then what good is it?

I think we are going to talk much more about it once the wedding is over. Set out a timeline of when we would like to do things, and what kind of trips we want to take in the next few years. If I can quit and take a less stressful job somewhere for less pay, then we may go with that for the time being.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 5:26:55 PM
Author: ZoeBartlett
Date: 4/20/2009 5:07:07 PM

Author: Sabine

Sorry to threadjack, Meresal, but Sabine, what will you do once you move? I know you''re relocating to a new area for a new opportunity for your husband, but I was wondering what you''ll look towards next.

Zoe, since I''m due in August I''m planning on taking some time off. We''ll probably only be in Va. for about a year while dh does his intern year at the Navy hospital, and then he will apply to go on active duty, during which we will be moving around for about 4 years. After that we''ll look to settle for good, so I''ll try to figure out what exactly it is that I want to do other than raise babies during that time, and probably take some online classes, etc.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Sabine! Your plan sounds like a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results