shape
carat
color
clarity

Steven Kirsch setting advice

Wyer

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Just looking to confirm some of your experiences with having a setting made by SK.

I just wanted to confirm whether a few aspects are part and parcel of custom ring settings to get myself comfortable with the process.

1. SK has advised me that while customers may provide spec preferences he will ultimately make the choices he sees fit (such as melee size, halo angle).

Obviously the point of going with someone like SK/LM/VC is to have them exercise their judgement. However, I've read numerous threads where people have listed very detailed specifications (e.g. Frankie, CharmyPoo, etc) and they seem to be followed.

Similarly, if I go have a bespoke suit made - while the tailor will take care of the measurements, etc - if I specify a certain cloth, a certain button stance, lapel width, etc I would expect this to be followed.

2. Have people specified their melee sizes? SK has advised he will pick the size and the final choice won't be made until he drills the holes - this seems contrary to people who seem to have been able to specify say 0.5 points.

I guess what I'm trying to get my head around, is how I can be comfortable with the end output if the specs are flexible and determined by SK.

Finally, has anyone come across a petal basket design that will allow a flush setting? I really like the following, but SK has advised it won't be flush - http://i.imgur.com/m2iQo4m.jpg

If that's not possible then I will probably head down the double edge halo route, but with a plain shank - http://stevenkirsch.com/gallery/ring-dahlia-double-edge-halo-sapphire-pave-platinum/

Thanks

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't had SK make a custom setting for me, just VC. I trust him and his eye for proportion and details more than I trust myself, regarding tilt and melee size. I am happy to choose single v double claws and whether I want donut or flush fitting etc. but those other details youmentioned about size of melee, only can say to him, super small and delicate looking and trust he will know what i mean and is best. Those other people who specified, such as charmypoo and Frankie, they are experts to me. I can see why they are as confident specifying. That is not me. Good luck. I have seen his pieces irl and they are truly stunning. I think you will be very happy with whatever you choose.

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
I am having SK make me a halo pendant DBTY necklace right now. We discussed a little about the DBTY stones, but I never really gave him any direction on the halo. I guess we'll see how it turns out!

I did just have VC set an engagement ring for me. All I told him was that I wanted a delicate halo with a slight tilt on the halo and as close to Frankie's ring he did in 2012 as possible. I left everything else up to him. I figure this is what he does all the time and he'll do it as perfect as he has in the past. I will admit that my halo looks much more dainty than I was expecting. However, after spending a few days with the ring, I agree that it is complimentary to my center stone. Anything larger would probably look off.

It is a leap of faith though. Not a cheap one either. Good luck! I hope this helped.

Wyer

Rough_Rock
Thank you both and I agree these guys are the experts so it makes sense to go with their judgement.

I thought I would just get a sense check on here to make sure it was part of the normal process.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 2 cents: I wanted double prongs and he wanted to try single bar-shaped prongs. I thought because he was the expert and the artist I should go along with the idea, but I never liked the way the setting looked and ended up resetting the stone. So, I think it is good to get the professional opinion, but make sure you really understand & like what is suggested!

Wendylynne

Shiny_Rock
Hi!!

I had SK make my setting... We had a convo discussing what I wanted in general. In fairness he was remaking a setting I had done by another vendor... It was easy for me to express what I liked and didn't. He did want me to adjust my halo size and I let him run with it. He listened to what I wanted and my ring is exceptional... Good luck

Wyer

Rough_Rock
Jimmianne|1482514301|4109212 said:
My 2 cents: I wanted double prongs and he wanted to try single bar-shaped prongs. I thought because he was the expert and the artist I should go along with the idea, but I never liked the way the setting looked and ended up resetting the stone. So, I think it is good to get the professional opinion, but make sure you really understand & like what is suggested!

Thanks Jimmianne, it's useful food for thought.

I've spent a lot of time reading the threads on here, so I have a fairly strong idea of what I wanted - e.g. down to size of melee, angle of halo, etc. However, I am just an arm chair warrior and all of this was purely derived from experiences that others have had.

I just wanted to make sure it was normal to leave these specifications to SK, which it sounds like it will. As for broader design choices, I think I have a fairly firm idea that SK will need to keep in line with - effectively, small dainty halo to accentuate the centre stone rather than focus on finger coverage, petal pave under gallery, no bridge and a plain shank (again I have an idea of how thick this should be 2mm, but SK said it might be too thick - so I will probably leave this to him).

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A custom project is all about trust. I have worked with Victor Canera and Leon Mege and I only specified the overall look, metal choice, type of melee, double prongs or single prongs etc. But stayed open for their recommendations.

This only works if you love the aesthetic of the designer. If you have any doubts, please speak up as you are the one who has to wear it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results