shape
carat
color
clarity

Sterling Silver bracelet from Links in London

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
Hi

My DH bought me a beautiful sterling silver bracelt from links in Londn and whilst I really like the bracelet, I am a bit worried about the durability of sterling silver. I am worried about tarnishing and loosing the shiny look of the piece.

http://www.linksoflondon.com/online-shop/women/bracelets/1141-allsorts-1-row-bracelet

So how easy is it to keep sterling silver shiny and not tarnish. I am also not the biggest fan of using some of the tranish cleaners, after a few I looked at had disclaimers in the fine print that they may be carcenogenic (sp?)

So any safer ways to clean it? Or should I just return?

thanks
D2b

Magic_Stick

Rough_Rock
I just use a sterling silver dip cleaner for my silver jewelry and I never had a problem. Sterling is very easy to clean.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/14/2009 2:30:02 PM
Author:D2B
Hi

My DH bought me a beautiful sterling silver bracelt from links in Londn and whilst I really like the bracelet, I am a bit worried about the durability of sterling silver. I am worried about tarnishing and loosing the shiny look of the piece.

http://www.linksoflondon.com/online-shop/women/bracelets/1141-allsorts-1-row-bracelet

So how easy is it to keep sterling silver shiny and not tarnish. I am also not the biggest fan of using some of the tranish cleaners, after a few I looked at had disclaimers in the fine print that they may be carcenogenic (sp?)

thanks
D2b
Links in London has some good looking bracelets,but they are pricey for sterling....to keep it looking good there are dips that are polishing cloths to keep the tarnish to a minimum...if you keep the bracelet away from acids like purfume, makeup,lotions,and persperation it will help the staining and tarnish...also store in a natural fabric lined box or zip lock bag...never store in a room(bathroom)that has alot of moisture in the air.which bracelet were you gifted with by DH.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I think the dip is a good solution. I wear my Tiffany & Co sterling pieces pretty regularly and they look good with regular cleaning.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/14/2009 8:02:35 PM
Author: jewelerman

Date: 1/14/2009 2:30:02 PM
Author:D2B
Hi

thanks
D2b
Links in London has some good looking bracelets,but they are pricey for sterling....to keep it looking good there are dips that are polishing cloths to keep the tarnish to a minimum...if you keep the bracelet away from acids like purfume, makeup,lotions,and persperation it will help the staining and tarnish...also store in a natural fabric lined box or zip lock bag...never store in a room(bathroom)that has alot of moisture in the air.which bracelet were you gifted with by DH.
well messed that advice up!there are dips that are naturally based and also there are polishing clothes that can help keep the bracelet shiney.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I love the polishing cloth I bought from Tiffanys, oh so convenient--but I am sure you can get something similar anywhere.

cheers--Sharon

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
One way to keep sterling free of tarnish is to wear it all (or most) of the time. This works better for some people than others, though, depending on your body chemistry.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As Gliteratta said, wearing silver is usually the best way to keep it from tarnishing.

The tarnish layer becomes thicker as a piece tarnishes, so it is best to go through your pieces regularly with a jeweller''s cloth (it contains light tarnish removers) every so often. The first sign of tarnish is usually a light yellowish cast, which is much easier to remove than a thick grey coat.

If the piece does build up tarnish, my favourite way of removing it is to put a piece of aluminum foil in the bottom of a small sauce pan and add hot water and baking soda. Leave it for a while and the extra electrons will migrate from the silver to the foil. For a piece with no stones, I actually boil the piece for 2 or 3 minutes. If there are stones, then I just use warm water. Since there are no agressive chemicals, this method can be used with quite sensitive stones.

I love silver!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
quality pieces worn often do not tarnish. some develop a personalized burnished that is not supposed to be cleaned.

i love the moon ring!

movie zombie

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
Hi

Thanks for all your replies and ideas. But, I have decided to return it It is not a cheap piece for SS and with me from experience they do tarnish and I am not the one to like dipping my things in chemicals, so back it went.

In the meantime, I am investigating a WG bracelet with tiny diamonds linking the WG links, will post pictures once it all gets finalised. I have no problems wearing WG and the diamonds won me over
30.gif

thanks again
D2b

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Links! I understand returning it though. DH keeps telling me I''m getting more and more expensive. I no longer request silver pieces because they tarnish, I''d rather save up and get WG.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results