shape
carat
color
clarity

Sterling hallmarks - teapot experts?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This might be slightly OT, but given that we have experts ranging in everything from koi to psychotherapy, I figured it couldn't hurt to check ....

I've been on a teapot collecting kick of sorts these last few months (I quickly went from "no teapots" to "three teapots, and what appears to be a fancy crystal claret decanter" and my husband is threatening to riot), and one of them seems to have much more in the way of hallmarks than the others. The others have, if anything, one hallmark indicating plating: this sucker has a dozen, some of which look hand-chased, which seems like a lot of effort to go to for plate. I know the "treasure at the thrift store" thing is a pipe dream, but I'm sort of curious - can anybody here id this teapot?

Teapot 007.jpg

Teapot 006.jpg

Teapot 005.jpg

Teapot 004.jpg

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Hi Circe! :wavey:

Here you go:

http://www.925-1000.com/

This site has helped me date all of my inherited jewelry and silver. It's really great!

ETA: is there any possibility it's plate? I don't see a sterling mark anywhere . . .

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks, iLander! I remembered my Big Book of Silversmithing had some hallmarks, so I figured I'd transcribe and look them up the old-fashioned way: so far, I know it was assayed in Sheffield, so that's something! Now, off to check the website - and if anybody happens to wander along with the ability to say, "Ah, yes, obviously, made by master silversmith Whatshishname in Gloucester in 18-whosiwhatsy," by all means, don't hold back.

marks:

II
sheffield rose
odd banner-thing - horn?

D B & S
EPBM
E785

Heh, crosspost ETA: honestly, I don't know! I don't know the first thing about silver hallmarks once you get outside of jewelry. We'll find out, I guess!

ETA part the second: the EPBM means silverplate, according to this website: http://www.ehow.com/how_6396934_distinguish-silver-silver-plate.html - man, I love the internet. Also, research!

Bride of ETA: ha, the actual meaning is "Electro-Plated Britannia Metal." Fascinating!

Son of ETA: looks like the maker could be "JAMES BALLANTYNE & SON," if the "D" is a "J," which it well could be. Hm ....
(link for those as might want to vote on this .... http://www.silvercollection.it/electroplatesilverB.html

Grandson of ETA: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. http://www.silvercollection.it/electroplatesilverD.html It's James Dixon and Son(s), Sheffield. Website says:

JAMES DIXON & SONS
Sheffield
Business established in 1806 in Silver Street, Sheffield by James Dixon in partnership with a Mr. Smith. The firm became James Dixon & Son (1823), James Dixon & Sons (1835c.) and James Dixon & Sons Ltd in 1920. London showrooms were opened in London (1873), Sidney and Melbourne (1912).

I'm always so pleased when I solve a mystery! So, while I have not found my retirement in the thrift shop, I'm quite pleased to have solved The Mystery of the Teapot. Now, to figure out the year it dates to ....

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's still a lovely piece.
I love treasure hunts, but don't have much luck finding sterling at thrift stores.
I've found several sterling pieces at garage sales. (but I DO find fine crystal at thrift stores for a penny on the dollar. :Up_to_something: )

I think at thrift stores and estate sales there is a lower chance (but not zero) of finding solid sterling silver for the price of plated because employees know there's a chance of those things being real, and expensive, so they have someone go over all of the candidates.
This is their business.

At garage sales people are not in the business of selling stuff and have just gotten used to the stuff they own.
They just put out inherited stuff or stuff that's just been in drawers or the garage forever so there's a higher chance they don't know the identity and value what they have.
Armed with my loupe, I always make a beeline for the jewelry, then the kitchen silver stuff at garage sales.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results