shape
carat
color
clarity

Stephcola needs help fast!!! Experts please!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stephcola

Shiny_Rock
Hi guys
It me again. Actually its more of a question. I love my BN stone and it has been set. As the 30 day return period nears.....I got ultra nervous and I decided to send it to Rich Sherwood for confirmation. he will not have it until Mon or Tues.

The question/problem is.....I was called with a larger stone today from a dealer I really like and trust. He found a 3.23 H SI1 eyeclean with the following dimensions.. He said it''s fabulous. I can still return the other stone but...when I input the sarin data in the HCA advisor - it got a terrible score - 4.8 - Good - Only if price is your main criterion... This does not sound like what he described. ALthough, I must say the price was so good, I questioned him . It is essentially the same price as the 3.01 BN stone for a 3.23!!! Antennae up!!!

Can anyone diamondcalc the following data for me so I can be certain that I don''t want to have a look at it. Rich is going to do a thorough workup on the BN stone and if the sarin and certs are correct, he will confirm that that stone is a 1.2 FIC. I know , I know... bigger is not always better. I need to get back to the dealer tommorrow if possible - diamondcalc anyone???

depth 62.1
table 59
crown angle 35.1 14.6%
pav angle 41.3 43.9
culet 0.4 VS
girdle m - thk 2.2%
polish - EX
EX
9.40 x 9.50 5.87mm

Is a 10 pt. spread off???

The crown and pavillion scores on the sarin show AGS 1 but the total visual performance "warning" does''nt jive. I am sure I will stay with the BN stone - I can''t wait for Rich to look at it. I have asked him to post a photo for me - if he gives it the THUMBS UP!!! Thanks a million for your expertise . Regards

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
"Is a 10 pt. spread off???"

Yes. And the stone is being penalized by the HCA because of the pavilion angle. The HCA would give it a better score if it were 41 or less. In theory, a stone with a 41.3 pavilion angle will leak. The crown and pavilion angles on that stone are not a great combination.

"ALthough, I must say the price was so good, I questioned him . It is essentially the same price as the 3.01 BN stone for a 3.23!!! Antennae up!!!"

Is this a B&M vendor? If it is, and he's selling a 3.23 H SI1 for the same approximate price as a 3.01 H SI1 sold by an online vendor, it would make me seriously question the quality of the stone, cut-wise.

Steph, if you love your stone as much as you say you do, and Rich confirms its beauty to you through his appraisal, I'd definitely keep it and cease torturing yourself with what could be or might have been.
1.gif

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Steph, if you want to see this stone in person, I'd suggest ordering an Ideal-Scope first. The Ideal-Scope will actually show if and where the stone leaks.
1.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Steph, although that 3.23 may look pretty, I still think yours is better.
2.gif
1.gif

If you want to have a look at it, please get an IdealScope so that you can see how much leakage it has.
1.gif

stephcola

Shiny_Rock
This vendor sells online and has a very posh shop as well. They have looked at alot of stones for me and are very good to work with.

When I ordered my loupe and tweezers, I decided not to purchase the IdealScope. Now I realize I should have. I doubt if I ordered it I could have it in time to look at the stone next week. I assume the vendor should have one but if I ask for the report, can I assume I will get a good report??

If Rich gives me the thumbs up, I think I will pass on the 3.23. I guess my question for all of you is..... with the HCA warning and score of 4.8 can this be a gorgeous stone??? Are HCA scores ever that off?????? This number sounds scary to me but I am being told it is a winner. Rich will hopefully have some info for me by mid week and then I can look at the stone if I need to. Thanks....
I guess I am looking for a back up just incase.....

More opinions please... Thanks

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
A 4.8 score on the HCA is NOT a winner. If it was 2.5 or something there may be more wiggle room...but not with that score. The crown angle is steep as is the pav angle. Leaky leaky leaky! Ick. Of course your jeweler is going to tell you its great..he wants you to buy it from him. Ding ding??

Keep your original stone, its lovely, scored well on HCA, has great #'s and you love it. Stop looking for something better!! You will drive yourself insane.

Essentially last time you said you didn't want to upgrade again and this was it. Well in essence, you KEEP upgrading each time you don't like it....from the I colored one to this BN one, and then this BN one you are ready to throw over for the 3.23 one. So whats the big deal with upgrading a few years down the line to something bigger that is still great quality, that you really will love (3.5c G VS2?) for once and for all? Upgrading within 30 day increments is okay, but not a few years later? That definitely doesn't make sense to me.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Steph ask your vendor if he wants to learn about diamond cut.
Not you get an ideal-scope - he gets the scope - teach him to fish!

Your bN stone will appear bigger - even if it is slightly smaller in dimension.

steph.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
The ring of death!!!
14.gif

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Pass.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
The ring of death!!!
-----------

I just love that term. It's so dramatic... (perhaps a bit overly dramatic. I once submitted to Rhino that it should be called the "ring of wimpiness", but the term had already caught on by then.)

Steph, what was the crown and pavilion angle on the Blue Nile stone? It won't take much to beat this one.

If the first stone is a 1.2 "fiery ideal cut", it will eat this stone for breakfast.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rich - do this for me - when you see these ring of death stones in tiffany type rings - check to see if there is more fire than you would expect from the RoD area.

Of course the pavilion must be clean.

rod.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
My eyes...my eyes! Look away!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Garry, one thing I have noticed on many of these "steep & deep" stone with the "ring of death" is that they often have a lot of fire coming off the bezel area.

I haven't noticed it coming specifically from the R.O.D. area, but I'll begin focusing on that from now on.

It almost seems that the R.O.D. is compensated for somewhat by the increased fire. That's one of the reasons I can't wait until Serg and the Gang can quantify "fire" on their DiamCalc program.

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
So does the R.O.D. cause a possible increase in fire, at the expense of white light return??

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Only if the stone is set in a high open ring and kept clean.
Rubbed over bezels and any earrings pendants etc are just short on light return CG
In the latter case shallow stones can out perform.

stephcola

Shiny_Rock
Rich,

The BN stone you will be receiving (hopefully on Monday) is 1.2 FIC according to the cut advisor. Table 54/ depth 60.2, polish VG, symm Gd
Crown angle 35.7
pavil angle 39.8
culet 0.3
girdle 1.7%

I can't wait to see what you think. If the paperwork is correct, it should be a winner. Regards,

As for the 4.8 HCA, I thought I'd ask. I am a total novice and I look to the forum for my expert advice. I do know enough at this point, to ask first and then look. I did not know if a stone with such a poor grade could perform well. Now I know. Thanks guys...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results