shape
carat
color
clarity

Stay the blazes home

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I'm not going to the shore then, that's for sure. But up where I am (right near our fearless leader's summer house) everyone is wearing masks. I think there may be socioeconomic factors at work here. Those with higher education and income tend to wear masks more frequently than others, our fearless leader notwithstanding.

People here have degrees in higher education and make a decent living (second homes all around) but from what I see fewer people are wearing masks here than in NYC. So not sure one can make that correlation though I agree the smarter one is the more likely one is to wear a mask. IMO and obviously not universally true as I am quite sure there are some intellectuals who eschew wearing masks. Overall however I agree. The smarter one is the more likely one is to wear a mask.

Interesting article.

"
Who’s Wearing a Mask? Women, Democrats and City Dwellers
A Gallup poll found that only a third of Americans said they always wore a mask outside the home. Gender, political party and education level may play roles in the decision.

By Mariel Padilla
  • June 2, 2020

As states continue to lift restrictions that were put in place to curb the coronavirus outbreak and as Americans start going out in public again, recent surveys suggest that gender, political affiliation and education level are factors that have a bearing on who is wearing a mask, and who isn’t.
Public health officials have recommended wearing masks in public when social distancing measures are difficult to maintain, such as in grocery stores and pharmacies, and at least a dozen states have required them in those circumstances. And most businesses that are reopening are doing so with restrictions: fewer customers, social distancing and face masks.
According to a Gallup poll that was conducted in mid-April, only a third of Americans said they always wore a mask or cloth face covering outside the home. Another third said they sometimes wore a mask in public, and a third reported that they never did.
Here is what some of the research shows about who is covering up.
Women are more likely than men to wear masks.
About 67 percent of women said they had worn a mask outside their home, compared with 56 percent of men, according to the Gallup poll, which was based on a random sample of 2,451 adults in the United States and had a margin of error of 3 percentage points.
ADVERTISEMENT
Continue reading the main story

“Do men and women think differently about wearing masks?” said Catherine Sanderson, a psychology professor at Amherst College. “Absolutely, in precisely the same way men and women think differently in terms of all types of health-related behavior. Men speed more. Men engage in higher rates of binge drinking. Men are less likely to wear seatbelts.”

A preprint study — posted online in May, but not published in a scientific journal and not yet peer-reviewed — found that American men were less likely to wear face masks and that fewer men than women believed that they would be seriously affected by the coronavirus. The study, conducted by researchers at Middlesex University in London and the Mathematical Science Research Institute in Berkeley, Calif., reported that men also found masks to be shameful.

Apryl Alexander, a clinical assistant professor at the Graduate School of Professional Psychology at the University of Denver, said such attitudes reflected widespread “gendering” in the way Americans are encouraged to communicate and behave.
“We condition males in our society to be tough with messages that wearing a mask shows worry and concern about one’s health,” Dr. Alexander said. “Do men want to show that worry, concern and vulnerability?”
Dr. Alexander said public health officials should work on shifting that narrative: Masks don’t indicate fear, they signal compassion for others.

Democrats are more likely to say they’ve worn masks than Republicans.
Of those polled by Gallup, 75 percent of Democrats said they had worn a mask in public, while 58 percent of independents and less than half of Republicans said the same.
Democrats were far more likely to live in counties where the virus has sickened and killed more people, while Republicans were more likely to live in counties that have been relatively unscathed by the illness, though they were paying an economic price. This contributes to the conflicting partisan response to the pandemic, including how to reopen businesses and whether to take extra precautions to curb the spread of the coronavirus.
Other research suggests the gap between Democrats and Republicans on mask use may be narrower. According to a Democracy Fund + UCLA Nationscape survey, 92 percent of Democrats said they had worn a mask compared with 79 percent of Republicans. Data was collected between March 19 and May 20.
African-Americans and Latinos, whose rates of infection and death from the virus exceed their representation in the population, are far more likely to identify as Democrats than Republicans.
People in densely populated cities are more likely to say they are wearing masks.
Gallup found that city and suburban residents were more likely to wear masks than those in more rural areas.
Nearly a third of Americans live in one of the 100 most densely populated counties in the United States. The virus has taken its greatest toll in these areas, with an infection rate three times as high as the rest of the nation and a death rate four times as high.
People who live in a county that has recorded at least one coronavirus-related death are more likely to wear masks than people who live in counties that have recorded no deaths from the virus, according to the Gallup poll.

The survey also found that those in the western and northeastern regions of the country were more likely to wear masks than those in the Midwest and South. More than 70 percent of the survey participants in the West and Northeast said they had worn a mask in the week before responding to the poll. But less than half of the Midwesterners surveyed said they had worn a mask.
College graduates are somewhat more likely to say they have worn a mask.
According to the Gallup poll, 66 percent of the college graduates surveyed said they had worn a mask in public. About 60 percent of those without a college degree said they had worn one.
American adults who said they trusted scientists and journalists “a lot” were also more likely to claim to have worn a mask in public, according to the poll.
"

Still doesn't explain why people here are not social distancing or wearing masks on the boardwalk and beaches unless we are dealing with younger individuals who think they are invincible. No clue just thinking out loud.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, as I've said before, I'd love to live in Australia. But I know we're not only not welcome there, but because of our ages and DH's occupation, we would never be accepted for emigration there. That's just the way it is.

We've permanently lost some 400,000 jobs here because of COVID so far. Our government is taking on great debt just to help our citizens now. Just getting ANY job is extremely hard right now. I am doubting my FSIL will ever get another job. Not even a retail job. The competition is ridiculous.

Lots of people are in this situation now. Housing costs are outrageous. Our kids will never own homes because of all this. Now is not the time for anyone to think of moving to Canada, or almost everywhere else in the world. We literally have nothing to offer at this time.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, as I've said before, I'd love to live in Australia. But I know we're not only not welcome there, but because of our ages and DH's occupation, we would never be accepted for emigration there. That's just the way it is.

We've permanently lost some 400,000 jobs here because of COVID so far. Our government is taking on great debt just to help our citizens now. Just getting ANY job is extremely hard right now. I am doubting my FSIL will ever get another job. Not even a retail job. The competition is ridiculous.

Lots of people are in this situation now. Housing costs are outrageous. Our kids will never own homes because of all this. Now is not the time for anyone to think of moving to Canada, or almost everywhere else in the world. We literally have nothing to offer at this time.

Yes, thanks to Trump we've become another one of those "shithole countries".

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I already clearly stated that we would NOT have been taking any job nor asking for any kind of financial assistance - we would have been financially self-sufficient and happy to put our money into the Canadian economy, as the last thing we would have wanted to do was take anything from a Canadian, be a risk to a Canadian, or be a burden in any way. Please - I get that a lot of Americans are utterly crappy people, but please stop judging me for their actions and attitudes after I've tried so hard to make myself clear. I mistakenly made a vulnerable post about something that had crossed my mind in a moment of panicked desperation, fearing for my life - a mistake I won't repeat. I've already acknowledged that I got the message loud and clear. Please stop piling on.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I already clearly stated that we would NOT have been taking any job nor asking for any kind of financial assistance - we would have been financially self-sufficient, as the last thing we would have wanted to do was take anything from a Canadian, be a risk to a Canadian, or be a burden in any way. Please - I get that a lot of Americans are utterly crappy people, but please stop judging me for their actions and attitudes after I've tried so hard to make myself clear. I mistakenly made a vulnerable post about something that had crossed my mind in a moment of panicked desperation, fearing for my life - a mistake I won't repeat. I've already acknowledged that I got the message loud and clear. Please stop piling on.

Any country would be more than lucky to have you and your DH living there IMO. Not a doubt in my mind @OboeGal. I wish it was safe here and you could come and live in our city/state.

ETA: I don't think @lyra was directing her post towards you. I think it was more a general post.

Mekp

Shiny_Rock
I already clearly stated that we would NOT have been taking any job nor asking for any kind of financial assistance - we would have been financially self-sufficient and happy to put our money into the Canadian economy, as the last thing we would have wanted to do was take anything from a Canadian, be a risk to a Canadian, or be a burden in any way. Please - I get that a lot of Americans are utterly crappy people, but please stop judging me for their actions and attitudes after I've tried so hard to make myself clear. I mistakenly made a vulnerable post about something that had crossed my mind in a moment of panicked desperation, fearing for my life - a mistake I won't repeat. I've already acknowledged that I got the message loud and clear. Please stop piling on.

There was nothing wrong with your question. I've not been here long but I agree with @missy 's assessment. We would be lucky to have you.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry @OboeGal, I wasn't trying to offend you. It's a huge decision, and I thought you were seriously considering it. I thought you wanted to hear the truth. If you just want to buy property here, you can easily do that, I'm sure. I was being honest about the state of things for Canadians today, not for people wanting to move here. These are unprecedented times when our own citizens and neighbouring provinces don't want any of us mixing at all. It's truly unbelievable and incredibly stressful. Imagine not being able to leave whatever state you're in. We have family across the country, and they don't want us to visit because my MIL is in frail health. My BIL actually had COVID. It's nuts here.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you, @missy, for your kindness and empathy in this thread. You always are such a source of light and goodness. Thank you as well, @Mekp.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
....ETA: I get that Canadians are concerned about Americans fleeing there and bringing the virus, and straining infrastructure. That's a reasonable concern; I get it and respect it. I also get that Canadians are angry that some Americans are traveling/vacationing there under false pretenses, carelessly, without quarantining and without regard for the health and well-being of Canadians. That is wrong, selfish, sick behavior that Canadians have every reason to be enraged by. DH and I have been incredibly careful, and would never dream of putting others at risk, whether Canadian or American....
Your quote is exactly how I feel about immigration to the US. Not everyone that comes here wants to make this country better, or even wants to assimilate. I have a problem with that.

I'm with you, I'd love to move away too, and will as soon as things normalize, hopefully in about 2 years. Not sure I'd want to leave the country though. I dream of living somewhere somewhat more remote, where I can drive to get necessities and otherwise see no humans, and be more at one with nature. And I would pray not to find homeless people passed out on my lawn in the mornings.... that might be a tall order?

20200717_121730.jpg

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@lyra, I apologize if I misread you. I'm finding myself very sensitive these days.

Emigrating to one of the countries I listed is something we'd been very seriously considering for quite some time, even before COVID - since 2016, at least. There is so, so much that we disagree with here, and for a long time I was of the mindset that I wanted to stay to fight to make the country a better and more humane place, but over the last year or two, I've found myself losing hope. If that's the case, then we'd rather pay taxes to and feed the economy of a country that IS open to growth, to finding a better and more humane way of doing things, to being a good partner to other countries in the world, and we saw the places I listed that way. The danger and fear we're experiencing from COVID here is just magnifying that desire tenfold.

I'm so sorry to hear that it's so difficult there as well. These are unprecedented times indeed. I don't have hope anymore that America will pull itself out of what has now become a literal death-spiral, but I do hope that with time and progress against the virus, the situation in Canada will improve. I have faith that Canadians have that in them. 8)

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your quote is exactly how I feel about immigration to the US. Not everyone that comes here wants to make this country better, or even wants to assimilate. I have a problem with that.

I'm with you, I'd love to move away too, and will as soon as things normalize, hopefully in about 2 years. Not sure I'd want to leave the country though. I dream of living somewhere somewhat more remote, where I can drive to get necessities and otherwise see no humans, and be more at one with nature. And I would pray not to find homeless people passed out on my lawn in the mornings.... that might be a tall order?

20200717_121730.jpg

Oh, that's heartbreaking. It's just unconscionable that so many are still homeless in the US. There is so much wealth held by so few, yet so little resources for mental health care and such an abysmal social support network. So much despair.

DH and I would also like to be somewhere more remote and more in nature, if possible.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@OboeGal Yes, times are very tough. I think every country at some level, is living in fear. I do have hope for the US though, which might sound strange. It will get back to a more normal place eventually. It's going to take a long time.

If you want to leave, you should do so. I just can't think of a country that's a really good choice right now. I would move if I could! I really would. But I have health issues, so I'm glued to my doctors and treatments here. It's quite an anchor.

Volute

Rough_Rock
There is so, so much that we disagree with here, and for a long time I was of the mindset that I wanted to stay to fight to make the country a better and more humane place, but over the last year or two, I've found myself losing hope. If that's the case, then we'd rather pay taxes to and feed the economy of a country that IS open to growth, to finding a better and more humane way of doing things, to being a good partner to other countries in the world, and we saw the places I listed that way.

I could have written this myself. In addition, I’d like to live somewhere without so much income inequality. My family keeps me here. My grandmother is my best friend and I take care of her and can’t imagine leaving her. But she’s very old, and I’m slowly divesting myself of my commitments here. My husband and I are fortunate enough to be in fields which would probably allow us to live elsewhere. I like where I live but I’m tired of the brutality of the US.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, if Americans were willing to pay for the quarantine period and if it could be done in secure facilities just over the border and if there were a charge that would cover the costs of any health care that was required, they agreed to be tested prior to being released from quarantine and agreed to follow whatever policies were in place regarding social distancing and mask use in the province that they came to, it might actually be a not bad idea to stimulate our economy. Sadly, we just don't have the infrastructure in place right now to do that.

What I would not agree with would be allowing self-quarantine as we are currently doing as it's not enforced and we know people are ignoring it with impunity, putting us all at risk. Nor would I want to put us in a situation where we would need to have our already burdened health care system more out of balance.

And I too am horrified at the abject selfishness of Americans coming across the border, lying so that they can go on vacation, and putting us all at risk. I actually think criminal charges should be pursued (as lying at the border is a federal offense) and being banned for life from Canada would be appropriate.

What I would also point out is that not all of our fellow Canadians are taking this seriously either. I've overheard people saying that it's a hoax, that it's being overblown, that mask use is stupid, and I've seen people absolutely refuse to social distance...so it's not like we are a beacon of enlightenment here. I do think our government (both federal and provincial) took better steps to stop the spread than in the US though.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think Lyra's post was directed to @OboeGal either.

I agree. I also don't think @OboeGal should stop "posting openly", those are my favorite kinds of posts....those without posturing or artifice. We don't have enough of that on here, even though many can't handle it.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just for the record i have a friend in St Louis who is a Republican, has not been to universiry but is quite happy to wear a mask
university degrees do not necessarily equate to intelligence
He is a construction worker.

any of you doctors and accountants think you could build a house ?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results