shape
carat
color
clarity

State in US where jewelry is the cheapest???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pixelbender

Rough_Rock
This may sound weird but...

I''m looking at WhiteHouse Bros rings, and I can pretty much get them anywhere (through an athourized dealer, perhaps elsewhere). Why should I limit myself to the one jeweler close to me who sells them when I can call/travel/ship across the US.

Does anyone have any ideas about what states or areas are going to be the cheapest? Obviously in Hollywood the same ring is going to run more than in Louisiana. This is the kind of thing I''m looking for.

Also, who''s usually the cheapest: small store, small town, big town, etc?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/13/2007 3:50:51 AM
Author:pixelbender
This may sound weird but...

I''m looking at WhiteHouse Bros rings, and I can pretty much get them anywhere (through an athourized dealer, perhaps elsewhere). Why should I limit myself to the one jeweler close to me who sells them when I can call/travel/ship across the US.

Does anyone have any ideas about what states or areas are going to be the cheapest? Obviously in Hollywood the same ring is going to run more than in Louisiana. This is the kind of thing I''m looking for. Not Necessarily!!!!

Also, who''s usually the cheapest: small store, small town, big town, etc? Try PawnShops..., I think that would be your direction!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Online will in most cases find you the best quality at the best price.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

The Internet, FedEx and cheap airline travel have leveled out the playing field in a big way. Location by itself no longer plays that much of a factor in jewelry. Certain stores, for example a designer boutique in Aspen, will charge higher prices because they are offering additional value to their clients and because they need to pay more for rent, employees etc. but their costs for the basic materials will be very similar to materials costs for stores at the beach in Hawaii or in small town West Virginia. The best ‘deal’ depends on what you consider valuable. The cheapest prices usually are offered by that guy in the raincoat in the back alley but there are fine reasons that people choose not to shop with him.

There are excellent dealers everywhere, including Louisiana and Hollywood, the trick is to find the one that suits your style of shopping and that offers a program that interests you.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some states/areas have higher sales tax and that may be part of your decision.

pixelbender

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone. Looks like I''ll do OK just calling around randomly without targeting any specific area. I''m glad someone mentioned sale tax, I buy online all the time without it but was primarily looking at a WHB ring here in my state.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not suggest calling randomly. I''d only look at GIA and AGS certified stones in excellent or ideal cut. You can do a price search (in-house) on this site and get an idea of prices and some possible vendors.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results