shape
carat
color
clarity

STAT sapphire opinion needed!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mayacamas

Rough_Rock
Opinions on this stone and max to pay....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10262&item=4951240385

Thanks!

Maya
35.gif

raddygast

Shiny_Rock
Sorry, no opinion, but:

"Welcome to this no reserve auction for a stunning 3.00 ct..."

And at the top:

(Reserve not met)

What''s up with that?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No lab report, no deal
11.gif

I see one dark stone that just manages to show some color under intense flash... with the help of a nice window in the middle. This can well mean that they need a new camera, but what do I know ? There must be a way this seller can provide some more precise impression of the product than a no reserve auction.

If there is a good reason anyone had bid 1k for the marvel, I cannot see it on the auction page. As usual, the list of bids can be read in about 100 ways... you may want to take a look however.
2.gif

Just IMO

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Maya,
Hopefully you didn''t go for this one. One of the things that always gets me about these auctions is that the pictures and depth percentages don''t lie, so maybe the seller is just not looking very closely when they say that this stone has no window. The depth to width percentage is 55% which is right at the lower limit for a sapphire to have no window, but when you look at how it is cut it is obvious that the pavilion facets at the girdle are steep and the two rows of facets at the culet are way to shallow. This means that this stone will have at least a 50% window when viewed face up. On the plus side these stones can be a good deal if you can get a price of $300 - $400 and are willing to recut them down to about 2 carats or so. The other thing to watch for on these auctions is when the seller claims that the stone is a VVS and yet the picture has obvious inclusions.
Whe you are looking at these auctions it is always better to get a stone that is too deep, rather than too shallow, since you can recut the deep ones without losing any face up size.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results