shape
carat
color
clarity

Starting the search for a blue sapphire -- many questions

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Hello, again, after a long absence. My original e-ring was a sapphire, and it was dark and poorly cut, so when it came time for an anniversary ring, I chose a diamond haloed with purple sapphires, and sold the blue sapphire. But I miss wearing a blue sapphire, and I've decided to begin the hunt for a new one that has better cut and a more pleasing color.

This is a thread https://www.pricescope.com/forum/co...ing-conditions-t128100-30.html?hilit=sarap333 that I started several months ago about my main issue with sapphires -- the color changes dramatically and often looks "dark" to me.

I learned a lot from that thread -- thanks to everyone who participated! -- and now I'm back with a few more questions.

1) It appears that concave cutting imparts additional brilliance to the stone, which I like. However, it seems to give the stone a more "modern" appearance, and I'm concerned that will limit my setting options. For those of you who chose a Richard Homer concave cut, why did you choose the concave style of cutting over the traditional cutting styles? And did you feel that you were limited in setting choices?

2) My first stone was an emerald cut sapphire. It was dark, though the color was evenly distributed and the clarity was excellent. It also had what I now know is a big window in it -- I could see right through the stone. I'm attracted to emerald-cut sapphires, and would like another one -- how easy is it to find a decent emerald cut sapphire? I'm eye-balling one on Richard Wise's site, but it's a bit large for what I'm looking for (@ 1 - 2 carats).

Thanks!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Starting the search for a blue sapphire -- many question

Portree,
Please put me out of my misery and buy this dreamy unheated emerald cut blue sapphire: CS23 which is a 1.34 ct 5x7 mm stone.
http://www.steveperrygems.com/gems/ceylon.htm
cs23StevePerry.jpg

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock

I know nothing great about sapphires, but to me the picture Chrono just posted is the perfect blue sapphire color I covet. Yummmmm

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock

Portree said:
Hello, again, after a long absence. My original e-ring was a sapphire, and it was dark and poorly cut, so when it came time for an anniversary ring, I chose a diamond haloed with purple sapphires, and sold the blue sapphire. But I miss wearing a blue sapphire, and I've decided to begin the hunt for a new one that has better cut and a more pleasing color.

This is a thread https://www.pricescope.com/forum/co...ing-conditions-t128100-30.html?hilit=sarap333 that I started several months ago about my main issue with sapphires -- the color changes dramatically and often looks "dark" to me.

I learned a lot from that thread -- thanks to everyone who participated! -- and now I'm back with a few more questions.

1) It appears that concave cutting imparts additional brilliance to the stone, which I like. However, it seems to give the stone a more "modern" appearance, and I'm concerned that will limit my setting options. For those of you who chose a Richard Homer concave cut, why did you choose the concave style of cutting over the traditional cutting styles? And did you feel that you were limited in setting choices?

2) My first stone was an emerald cut sapphire. It was dark, though the color was evenly distributed and the clarity was excellent. It also had what I now know is a big window in it -- I could see right through the stone. I'm attracted to emerald-cut sapphires, and would like another one -- how easy is it to find a decent emerald cut sapphire? I'm eye-balling one on Richard Wise's site, but it's a bit large for what I'm looking for (@ 1 - 2 carats).

Thanks!

Hi Sara,

Just pointing out something you probably already know. Step Cuts like EC are not the best choice for brightness in dark toned material.
You may want to look for slightly lighter tone(unfortunately saturation may suffer too) if you like this cutting style. Alternatively consider a mixed cut or a brilliant cutting style if you prefer the darkest toned material.

I am reading your threads with interest, as I want to learn more about sapphires as well.

Lula

Ideal_Rock

Chrono said:
Portree,
Please put me out of my misery and buy this dreamy unheated emerald cut blue sapphire: CS23 which is a 1.34 ct 5x7 mm stone.
http://www.steveperrygems.com/gems/ceylon.htm
cs23StevePerry.jpg

Oh, wow! That is incredible. Yes, I love the dreamy look of unheated stones. Thanks, Chrono -- it's going on the short list. I, too, have stones I stalk, and when they're sold, I'm somehow relieved instead of sad, and only worry that the stone went to a loving home -- ha-ha!

Lula

Ideal_Rock

ChunkyCushionLover said:
Portree said:

Thanks!

Hi Sara,

Just pointing out something you probably already know. Step Cuts like EC are not the best choice for brightness in dark toned material.
You may want to look for slightly lighter tone(unfortunately saturation may suffer too) if you like this cutting style. Alternatively consider a mixed cut or a brilliant cutting style if you prefer the darkest toned material.

I am reading your threads with interest, as I want to learn more about sapphires as well.

CCL, you've captured my dilemma perfectly. I love emerald cut sapphires, but I like brightness in colored stones. That is why I've been eyeballing this:http://www.webgraphicsengineering.com/Gemstones/query3.cfm?yVarieties=All&ySpecies=Corundum 1.67 carats, #6337 if the link doesn't go directly to the stone -- on Richard Homer's site.

Lula

Ideal_Rock

And then there's this contender
http://www.rwwise.com/products/id|1650
for a round.

Does anyone know what the term "open blue" refers to? Brightness? I've never seen this term before, but I am very much a newbie when it comes to colored stones.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock

CCL, you've captured my dilemma perfectly. I love emerald cut sapphires, but I like brightness in colored stones. That is why I've been eyeballing this:http://www.webgraphicsengineering.com/Gemstones/query3.cfm?yVarieties=All&ySpecies=Corundum 1.67 carats, #6337 if the link doesn't go directly to the stone -- on Richard Homer's site.

I hear you, and thought the same thing a little while ago. I get that you want a step cut crown and a brilliant pavilion. But I'm not sure that concave faceting improves brightness in dark tone material over lets say an antique brilliant pavilion instead. You might ask richard homer about his thoughts on this. Hopefully some others might chime in and give some opinions too.

In my much lighter tones aqua earrings I have an antique cushion and concave faceted pavilion cushion in the same earring. In terms of size of flash and brightness I'm not sure that the bigger concave faceted cushion is noticeably brighter, it has a larger tilt window and I often notice the smaller stone more when my wife wears them due to larger flash scintillation. You can't judge scintillation by a photograph but here is the earring.

concaveversusantique.jpg

I would also say that if the photographs and comments on RH's site are true to the color(which they are probably pretty close given my great experience with RH), he has some of the best colors of blue sapphire I've ever seen on the net.

Lula

Ideal_Rock

ChunkyCushionLover said:

I hear you, and thought the same thing a little while ago. I get that you want a step cut crown and a brilliant pavilion. But I'm not sure that concave faceting improves brightness in dark tone material over lets say an antique brilliant pavilion instead. You might ask richard homer about his thoughts on this. Hopefully some others might chime in and give some opinions too.

In my much lighter tones aqua earrings I have an antique cushion and concave faceted pavilion cushion in the same earring. In terms of size of flash and brightness I'm not sure that the bigger concave faceted cushion is noticeably brighter, it has a larger tilt window and I often notice the smaller stone more when my wife wears them due to larger flash scintillation. You can't judge scintillation by a photograph but here is the earring.

concaveversusantique.jpg

I would also say that if the photographs and comments on RH's site are true to the color(which they are probably pretty close given my great experience with RH), he has some of the best colors of blue sapphire I've ever seen on the net.

I've always admired those earrings, CCL, so thanks for posting a close-up photo of the stones. It's interesting the way that you've combined two styles of cutting into one piece -- it works really well, aesthetically speaking. Ocean set those for you, am I remembering that right?

I do like the way the concave cutting draws my eye into the stone. But I'm torn, because I also like the traditional "look" of the stone Chrono posted. It's a classic. So I'm undecided at this point. Thanks for your comments about your experience with RH; he does have a great reputation and I'd love to own a stone cut by him.

I fear I'm in for a long haul here, of ordering stones and examining them in person -- looking for the one that "sings" to me. I don't know about all of you, but, for me, colored stones involve much more of an emotional response than do diamonds. I also got kind of "burned" on the purchase of my first sapphire, so I've been hesitant to put my toe back into the colored stones water. This forum is invaluable. I was such an uneducated shopper before (and didn't know it!).

edited - my grammar and spelling are awful today. Fingers typing faster than brain can think.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock

I would also say that if the photographs and comments on RH's site are true to the color(which they are probably pretty close given my great experience with RH), he has some of the best colors of blue sapphire I've ever seen on the net.[/quote]

I've always admired those earrings, CCL, so thanks for posting a close-up photo of the stones. It's interesting the way that you've combined two styles of cutting into one piece -- it works really well, aesthetically speaking. Ocean set those for you, am I remembering that right?

Thank-you very much, my wife likes them. Yes it was Ocean Pearlman. Single cut melee and her pave is so delicate I just don't see any metal at all.

I do like the way the concave cutting draws my eye into the stone. But I'm torn, because I also like the traditional "look" of the stone Chrono posted. It's a classic. So I'm undecided at this point. Thanks for your comments about your experience with RH; he does have a great reputation and I'd love to own a stone cut by him.

The mxing of different faceting wasn't really done on purpose ;)) , I could have paid to have the antique ones recut with concave faceting but since we saw the stones prior to setting and actually liked the antique ones a little better I didn't see a point. The color isn't perfectly matched between the two if you use a white background (the smaller ones are a deeper blue) but close enough on skin that noone could really tell.

I fear I'm in for a long haul here, of ordering stones and examining them in person -- looking for the one that "sings" to me. I don't know about all of you, but, for me, colored stones involve much more of an emotional response than do diamonds. I also got kind of "burned" on the purchase of my first sapphire, so I've been hesitant to put my toe back into the colored stones water. This forum is invaluable. I was such an uneducated shopper before (and didn't know it!).

I can definitely commiserate with you on that. I have a project I've been working on for 6 months, a pair of 8X8 - 9X9 cushion sapphire or tanzanite earrings similar the color posted for the EC in this thread but with a little more violet. I've resigned myself that to get that size and color in any reasonable budget requires created sapphire. I've been disappointed by the cut or color in just about every natural tanzanite piece I've seen and sapphire it would be so foolish to even consider recutting any existing stones of that size it is not an option.

I know from your participation in RT that the fine details matter so we are cursed and it will be a long haul especially if you have any sort of budget constraints. Great saturation sapphire in non traditional shapes is just really hard to find these days. The photographs even from the best vendors are usually far from the real color, especailly if a flash is used or the stone is flooded with light.

edited - my grammar and spelling are awful today. Fingers typing faster than brain can think.[/quote]

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Portree,

Fine quality emerald cut sapphires are rare simply because, with 18 facets, only gems with very good crystal (transparency or diaphanity) will deliver the brilliance we all love. So the material must be very fine. When its good, and emerald cut is very good. Of the traditional cuts, it is potentially the most elegant. The one you refer to on my site is truly beautiful.

"Open color" really refers to good crystal (transparency). Some dealers use the term to apply to purer blue rather than royal or purplish blue.

Best,

Lula

Ideal_Rock

Richard W. Wise said:
Portree,

Fine quality emerald cut sapphires are rare simply because, with 18 facets, only gems with very good crystal (transparency or diaphanity) will deliver the brilliance we all love. So the material must be very fine. When its good, and emerald cut is very good. Of the traditional cuts, it is potentially the most elegant. The one you refer to on my site is truly beautiful.

"Open color" really refers to good crystal (transparency). Some dealers use the term to apply to purer blue rather than royal or purplish blue.

Best,

Thanks, Richard, for your answers to my questions. From your description, I think I may be a good candidate for an "open blue" stone. Your explanation about the rarity of emerald-cut sapphire makes perfect sense. To my eye, there is nothing more beautiful than an emerald-cut sapphire, so I'm committed to finding a nice one -- even if it takes a while. The one on your site is a beauty -- it caught my eye right away.

Lula

Ideal_Rock

ChunkyCushionLover said:
I

Thank-you very much, my wife likes them. Yes it was Ocean Pearlman. Single cut melee and her pave is so delicate I just don't see any metal at all.

The mxing of different faceting wasn't really done on purpose ;)) , I could have paid to have the antique ones recut with concave faceting but since we saw the stones prior to setting and actually liked the antique ones a little better I didn't see a point. The color isn't perfectly matched between the two if you use a white background (the smaller ones are a deeper blue) but close enough on skin that noone could really tell.

I can definitely commiserate with you on that. I have a project I've been working on for 6 months, a pair of 8X8 - 9X9 cushion sapphire or tanzanite earrings similar the color posted for the EC in this thread but with a little more violet. I've resigned myself that to get that size and color in any reasonable budget requires created sapphire. I've been disappointed by the cut or color in just about every natural tanzanite piece I've seen and sapphire it would be so foolish to even consider recutting any existing stones of that size it is not an option.

I know from your participation in RT that the fine details matter so we are cursed and it will be a long haul especially if you have any sort of budget constraints. Great saturation sapphire in non traditional shapes is just really hard to find these days. The photographs even from the best vendors are usually far from the real color, especailly if a flash is used or the stone is flooded with light.

Thanks for the reply, CCL. Those earrings are just perfect -- and it's funny how little "accidents" can lead to a great piece. Ocean's work is just perfect -- those earrings must look like the diamonds are just floating on air.

About your next project -- I, too, considered tanzanite, but good quality tanzanite, especially in larger sizes and -- shudder -- a matched pair! -- seems to be harder and harder to find. And I may be wrong, but I think an emerald-cut tanzanite would be even harder to find than an emerald cut sapphire.

I am picky about my jewelry, because I tend to have just a few good pieces that I wear often. I am having a really tough time switching over from "diamond mentality" to this world of colored gems, and feeling overwhelmed by all I need to learn -- I barely know the difference between hue and saturation and tone, let alone what my personal preferences are! Oh, well, I know what I don't like...that's a start!

And, oh,you are so right about the variance in photographic quality -- very confusing to a newbie. That's why I will work closely with a vendor on this first purchase.

Right now I'm talking to Wink about the emerald cut sapphire on Richard Homer's site.
I'm also considering going with a cabochon cut -- they are sleek and elegant and work well in bezels, which I love. And I think I'd really like a cabochon set in high carat yellow gold. There are several nice cabochons available.
And if I can take the shock, I'll give Richard Wise a call and inquire about the price on that fabulous large emerald cut on his site!

I'll post additional information about the Richard Homer stone when Wink receives it. I'm curious to see the concave faceting in this cut.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock

The cost of figuring out what you REALLY like (in person) is often postage and patience...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results