shape
carat
color
clarity

Starting my search

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bosoxbw

Rough_Rock
Dear All,

I have done a lot of work self-educating myself about the basics of the diamond world. I recently discovered Pricescope, and I am really happy that I did before I made a purchase (avoiding a potential disaster!). At the same time, I am suffering from a bit of information overload, and was hoping some of you could help me put all of it together before I started my search in earnest. I know this is not a particularly exciting request, as I am not in the pics/specs/design stage yet. But I figure the more help I get now the more you all will enjoy the results!

Here is my plan, but please tell me if I am wrong:
1) Get in touch with Good Old Gold/WhiteFlash/ERD and give them a sense of what I am looking for (~2ct G/VS1 Emerald or Cushion)
2) Since I will not be able to see the stones in person at the vendor, have them provide me as much information as possible on the stones (pictures, scans, idealscope/ASET, sarin, anything else? Do the vendors I mentioned all provide this information, or will I have to get it later from the independent appraiser?)
3) Prior to purchase, have the vendor send the stone to an independent appraiser, either a local one so I can see the stone in person or someone that is not local but I can trust fully (AGA)

I have really enjoyed reading the contributions of the knowledgeable people on this site, and look forward to any and all advice.

Thanks so much for your time.

Brian

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
While I think WF is an excellent vendor, those videos that Jon make and the .gem files are really helpful.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
With an EC or cushion, I would want to see it in person before I bought. So I would choose a vendor like WF that will be able to do this. They are just very hard to judge, even with pictures. So you are on the right track. Work with 1 or 2 and tell them what you are looking for. With fancy cuts, you need all the information you can get. As mentioned, GOG does do amazing videos of potential diamonds. Both GOG and WF will provide you with tons of info. I would also check out James Allen.

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
As far as a recommended appraiser, I used Rockdoc (Bill Lieberum) and he was amazing to work with. His fees are extremely reasonable and he will give you the attention you want. I had whiteflash send him several stones that I was interested in. He selected the best performer and shipped the others back. I only had to pay shipping on the stones that he did not keep. It was a very smooth process and worked out perfectly. I highly recommend either using either of them (WF or Bill)

bosoxbw

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all you help so far... Any other suggestions about vendors, local appraiser v. AGA, or anything else?

Also, I have seen a lot of positive opinions about WF, but the prices there seem to be pretty high compared to some other vendors, even if you look at their "two/three star" stones. Am I imagining this?

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
WF''s prices have always seemed inline to me. Make sure you are always comparing apples to apples. For instance, their ACA diamonds are extremely high quality and must meet very strict criteria to be given the ACA label. The ES diamonds have just missed the ACA criteria but can still be drop dead gorgous.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results