shape
carat
color
clarity

Starting my engagement ring search. HELP!!

jgcruz07

Rough_Rock
Ok so after 7 years i am ready to take the plunge and dive into the engagement ring shopping. I been lurking around and reading up on this very informative forum and i think i got the basics down on what to look out for. Importance of C's, certifications ect. I wanted to maybe get some feedback from you guys on what kind of diamonds and rings i can expect with my budget and if my starting point is realistic. Here is where i am at.

I am thinking of getting a better than average diamond in the .80-1.00 ct ranges. From my research i think i would want an H, VVS2, Ideal Cut, as i want that thing to shine and bring attention. In terms of the setting, my girl really likes the Tacori / Verragio styles, which encompass a vintage style setting. It does not necessarily have to be a designer ring as long as it has the same style. I was thinking of spending maybe 4k on the diamond and $1500 on the setting. Is this reasonable?

Here are some examples of settings I would really like. I know bottom line is personal preference but feedback from here is always a plus. Thanks

1_22.jpg

Jared2.jpg

Product5000.L.png.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You are going to have to be more flexible on your specs... and quite possibly on how detailed you want the setting to be... you may need to up the budget a bit. There is no earthly reason for VVS clarity though. VS2 is fine. And SI from one of the signature lines of some vendors will be great as well.

But if you go for a lovely, but more basic tacori and a H/J SI1 stone... may be doable.

Let's see.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/79PP1/ Alternate setting (I'd be surprised if this is the current price on this setting though). Beverly K has a similar style to Tacori and is more budget friendly. Quality is very good as well.

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-specials/previously-owned-jewelry/rings/206PO1/8/ A great deal, if you want a full carat and willing to look at a previously owned ring. Pearlman's can add hand engraving and milgrain to 'antique' it up.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm, if you are firm on your requested specs, you will probably have to move on the budget, and if you are firm on the budget, you need to reconsider the specs.

Get back to us on your preferences re: budgets?

I think if you want to retain the size range in a smaller budget, the best place to make the first cut is in terms of clarity. Reducing to a SI1 eyeclean diamond would save you a fair bit, if you are uncomfortable then take a VS2 which is relatively easy to get eye clean stones with reputable vendors.

Next place to consider reducing is the colour - depending on how sensitive you are to colour (you would need to spend some time in front of a jeweller's selection without your wallet), you can see how low you can go. J coloured stones might work for you. Getting some flourescence in if that isn't a nono could help your budget as well.

You don't want to be sacrificing cut quality, so do look for an ideal or near ideal cut stone and if you stay just shy of the 1ct mark, you might squeeze out some more money to spend on the setting as well. Tacori style settings are not typically low cost options.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would suggest that you do a bit more research on clarity. Shine and sparkle do not have anything to do with clarity at VS and above and with a 'true' graded AGS or GIA SI1 selected by a trusted vendor to eyecleanliness and for the affect of the inclusions on the brilliance of the stone, you won't be able to tell the difference between a VVS stone and an SI when face up and without the aid of a loupe. Shine and sparkle have to do with light return, how clean the stone is, and the facet arrangement.

:read: :wavey:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
TristanC|1311141023|2972768 said:
Hmm, if you are firm on your requested specs, you will probably have to move on the budget, and if you are firm on the budget, you need to reconsider the specs.

I think if you want to retain the size range in a smaller budget, the best place to make the first cut is in terms of clarity. Reducing to a SI1 eyeclean diamond would save you a fair bit, if you are uncomfortable then take a VS2 which is relatively easy to get eye clean stones with reputable vendors.

Next place to consider reducing is the colour - depending on how sensitive you are to colour (you would need to spend some time in front of a jeweller's selection without your wallet), you can see how low you can go. J coloured stones might work for you. Getting some flourescence in if that isn't a nono could help your budget as well.

You don't want to be sacrificing cut quality, so do look for an ideal or near ideal cut stone and if you stay just shy of the 1ct mark, you might squeeze out some more money to spend on the setting as well. Tacori style settings are not typically low cost options.

Good post!

Ditto!

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
I like the one farmer gal posted above and if you tell them your max budget, they may find a discount they can apply to your purchase to make it closer to $5500 total.

jgcruz07

Rough_Rock
TristanC|1311141023|2972768 said:

Budget i can maybe do up to 6k max, In regards to specs i would be comfortable going to the SI1 as long as there are no visible naked eye flaws. Cut i want to keep at ideal, size i would like to keep above .80, unless a great diamond that is smaller sized can look as big as a .80 or bigger.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
jgcruz07|1311175523|2972984 said:
centralsquare|1311140536|2972762 said:

Love this setting but a bit weary on the voids on the inner walls.

those are there to make it easier to clean.

if she likes the Tacori style rings Beverley K makes some really nice rings at a more affordable price point

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/87PP1/
http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/114PP1/

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
slg47|1311176215|2972993 said:
jgcruz07|1311175523|2972984 said:
centralsquare|1311140536|2972762 said:

Love this setting but a bit weary on the voids on the inner walls.

those are there to make it easier to clean.

if she likes the Tacori style rings Beverley K makes some really nice rings at a more affordable price point

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/87PP1/
http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/114PP1/

I agree - it's probably easier to clean. it may be more comfortable too, as it may feel less tight if her fingers swell.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results